Residents and non-residents?

twitch

DIS Veteran
Am I correct in assuming that a CA resident would not be able to purchase a resident ticket for their visiting out-of-state friends?

Or, to ask it a different way: Am I correct in assuming that visiting out-of-state friends would not have the necessary proof-of-residency evidence to display at the turnstile when trying to use a resident ticket?

It depends on the current deal at the time and which park you are referring to:
  • Disneyland Resort
    • Current deal is available for anyone to purchase and is not restricted to So Cal Residents this time, which is going to make the parks a lot busier the first part of the year, this also means no So Cal deal this next year
    • IF they do a So Cal deal, each person over 18 must show ID that demonstrates that they live in Southern California, so unlike some parks where only one person has to show ID and can bring up to a certain number of people, each person needs to be a So Cal Resident
  • Seaworld
    • The offer numerous deals, but no So Cal Resident deals
  • Knott's
    • Buy online in advance and it is usually cheaper than any other deal, including when they have So Cal Resident tickets
  • Legoland
    • When they have So Cal tickets, the rules usually are that only one person has to show ID
  • Universal
    • Buy online or check to see if they are doing a bring a coke can promotion, both are usually better than any So Cal discounts, which currently don't exist.

Currently none of the parks are doing a So Cal resident ticket, but there are other ways to save.

Sorry... of course, the park would be vital info. ‍♂️

Universal. Which does appear to offer a resident discount.

I see that now, where I was looking didn't list it. Looking at the rules, each person over 18 is required to provide proof of residency or pay the difference between what was paid and the current at the gate price, which is higher than buying online. So, I wouldn't risk it, but here are some other ways to get discounts:
  • If you have AAA, you can get a better discount.
  • Passholders can buy tickets for friends at a discount and sometimes get free tickets (It may very well be worthwhile for one person to buy a Silver of higher pass for the discounts, depending on dates, number of people, etc.)
  • You can buy tickets from Costco at a discounted price (Sometimes Sam's Club as well)
  • Buy online in advance for a specific date and the ticket will be about $20 off from the at the gate price
  • You can also buy discounted tickets from Undercover Tourist (Currently $98 for a buy one day, get one free ticket or $97 for an off peak one day ticket, both are cheaper than the So Cal Deal)
  • Get a 3 Day or longer Los Angeles Go Card (Again buy from undercover tourist) and get multiple other attractions for one price.
  • There is also a So Cal Theme Park Pass with Go Card and a few other options.
These are discounts that you can get and not have to worry about proof of residency and many of them are better deals than the So Cal offer right now, which is only $10 off the online price when purchased in advance or $10 off the at the gate price when purchased at the gate

By the way, thanks for asking the question, we are considering going next year and this gave me a heads up about the available discounts as well and to look for more than just a so cal discount.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!