Residence Inn Anaheim Maingate vs Residence Inn Garden Grove?

abby2525

Mouseketeer
We are planning on staying at one of these two. I have 4 kids so need (for my sanity) a 2 bedroom with a kitchen. They are similar in price for the two bedrooms at each and they both have heated pools and free hot breakfasts. We have stayed at the Embassy Suites in Garden Grove and the location did not bother us at all. We are aware of having to take the shuttles from both (our kids are 15, 13, 7 and 4 and we don't want a long walk).
Has anyone stayed at both to compare or have another hotel that has all I require in it (2 bedroom, free breakfast, heated pool, within walking or on the shuttle route)?

We have stayed at both and think that they are both similar. In May we stayed at the Staybridge Suites on Manchester and enjoyed our stay there as well. We had a 2 Bedroom suite, King bed in one, 2 Queens in the other, full kitchen, sofa bed and two full bathrooms. They also serve a full breakfast, heated pool and are on the ART shuttle. This hotel was the only stop on the route which made it very nice. Staybridge also offers night receptions, I believe it was Mon-Wed. I do remember that Wednesday evening was Hamburgers and Hot Dogs which was nice.

We prefer the Marriott Residence Inn to any because of the beds but, the Staybridge was a close second

I forgot about the STaybridge, I will price that out too. I do like the location in Garden Grove with the Target across the street and lots of restaurants nearby to walk to for supper.

There is also the residence inn at the Convention Center - in case you weren't aware and want to check that one too.

We are Marriott-loyal and have stayed at RI Maingate and RI convention center (have not stayed at garden grove.) Personally, we love the RI convention center. It's new as of 2016, the breakfast area is way bigger, the pool is nicer, the rooms seem more spacious (when comparing apples to apples) and obviously Maingate is getting older. We have are active mid 30s with 3 kids - 6, 4, 2 - and the RI convention center is about a 10-12 min walk to the harbor entrance for us. If you definitely want to do shuttle, it's right across the street from the toy story shuttle...IMO it's faster to walk than deal with a shuttle but like I said, we're pretty active and don't mind the walk.

I also recommend staying at the RI at the convention center as that is within walking distance. However, my preference is RI Maingate. You are in bungalows instead of the tall tower hotel, and there is more room, and in my opinion, it's prettier there. If the kids are going to be swimming in the pool it has a nicer atmosphere. Check out the pics on Google for both, or all three, places.

I prefer Maingate. It is set like a condo community as opposed to a hotel situation. Breakfast is great. And the walk is only 12-15 mins. As for restaurants, it is right by the Garden Walk so you have several to choose from also.

Thanks for the info. We enjoyed having the ease of ART a couple of weeks ago and I would definitely use it again.

Thanks for the info. We enjoyed having the ease of ART a couple of weeks ago and I would definitely use it again.
There are 2 ART stops depending where you are on the Residence Inn Maingate property. If you are towards the back of the property, you should ride route 8, which will drop you by Motel 6 in the back section. If you are in the front section, ride route 7 by building 6 I believe. Regardless, there are 2 different routes to get you there.

Maingate is my go to hotel (Marriott Loyalist). What I've found is that the RI Maingate is one of the last Marriott's that doesn't charge for parking near DL and has a really good breakfast and is usually the least expensive.The 2 bedrooms are hard to come by but you an get a Penthouse - it's 1 bedroom with 2 queens and a loft with a king size bed and has 2 bathrooms. As someone else said it's showing it's age but its still clean and the beds are comfortable.

The walk is about 10-15 minutes - 4 LONG Blocks. I usually walk to DL in the am and take ART back for my afternoon rest and back to the park ( because of the heat) and then walk back when the park closes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter