Resale Members - How do you answer this question at WDW?

It's certainly not stealing or fraud to answer a question correctly CV and be granted a discount. It's fraud to answer incorrectly to deceive to obtain discount. That's not what is being discussed here, just honest answers to a simple question.

From what I've read on the boards, CMs don't seem to be paid enough to really care how you became a DVC member. For merchandise, they don't seem to "verify" if you're blue card or wear the mark of resale shame.

Every time I've bought something and used my DVC discount, the CM has asked for my blue card before giving it me. You must've hit the YOLO ones!

"Are you a DVC member?"

I always get hung up here, especially in shops. I've said "no" before knowing that I'm not supposed to get a discount even though I am a member, and then I've said "yes" before and received a discount without having my card checked.

Either way feels strange to me honestly. Just curious how you respond - do you say "yes" and then add a qualifier?

:)
Who said you aren’t supposed to get merchandise discounts? Seriously, show me that in writing. Disney is often intentionally ambiguous with their rules. You don’t get “certain” discounts, but they’ve never listed what those certain discounts are.

Who said you aren’t supposed to get merchandise discounts? Seriously, show me that in writing. Disney is often intentionally ambiguous with their rules. You don’t get “certain” discounts, but they’ve never listed what those certain discounts are.

Actually the very latest membership extras doc does now specify that for any DVC-related discounts, including merchandise, you have to present a valid DVC membership card, and that to get a card you have to buy 75 points direct, etc. So while there's always nuance to be found, it is a little more clear now than it was previously (IMHO)

However, the truthful answer to that question for that anyone who purchased resale post-April 4, 2016 would be "I am an owner who purchased resale".

Sorry, it's not. This is not actually something that Disney use or enforce.
Everyone calls "Member Services", so everyone is a member.

If the CM at the till asks: "Do you qualify for membership magic?", then the honest answer would be "No". But if the question is "Are you a member" then the answer is yes.
It's up to Disney to train the CM if they really want to enforce the discount elegibility.

Hehe... more to the point...

If someone undercharges you, and you know you are not entitled to the discount, would you correct them or allow it; and is that stealing to leave a store having paid less than the intended price if the salesperson applies the wrong price or discount and you know it's wrong...

Come on someone had to say it. ;)

PS. YES you are a member. However if you know a mistake is being made and you leave a store with merchandise knowing you paid less than its real price, then that is stealing. Nobody cares, of course, just putting it out there since people are toeing the line.

Google around. There are thousands of sites analyzing the misuse of discounts or discount codes. Even when a sales rep accepts or applies an invalid discount, it is still theft if you know you're paying less than you owe. They should train people consistently of course.

I really don't see it as stealing. Kohl's has discount codes for their merchandise. They purposefully price their merchandise at a price high enough to still make a profit off of the steepest of coupon discounts. When I shop with them online, rather than use the code for 15% off that I was sent, I do a google search for the 30% off code. Kohl's still gets my business and money, and I save a little extra.
I would be absolutely shocked if Disney is making anything less than a 30% profit on any of their items. It's probably significantly more than that, as they only sell exclusive Disney merchandise. The 10% discount is not much to them.
Now if the cashier miscounts your change and gives you a $10 when they should have given you a $5, and you say nothing about it, then that I consider stealing, even though it is a similar scenario.

As a resale buyer, you pay the same amount of dues/fees as those who purchased direct. To me you ARE a member and should get all the perks, sadly DVC doesn't see it that way, maybe the new boss will have his head on straight and let all members have the same perks.

FYI, I did buy direct back in 1993
That's because it's not part of the membership but part of the marketing separate from the membership. It could all be taken away tomorrow if they wanted.

That's because it's not part of the membership but part of the marketing separate from the membership. It could all be taken away tomorrow if they wanted.

EXACTLY!!!! This is why for us "perks" that can be taken away at any time doesn't justify the pp cost for buying Direct...since the raise in prices AND raise in minimum point add on at least.

Now I feel a touch foolish. Anytime I was asked, I just said no because I felt the question was REALLY "Do you qualify for the DVC discount?" I guess I should have been saying yes.

I am glad to have read this thread because I have wondered the same thing. I think if DVD has gone to such lengths to exclude recent re-sale owners, they need to come up with a new title/class for them...because it IS very confusing. Maybe call qualified members “DVC Member+” :D

Actually the very latest membership extras doc does now specify that for any DVC-related discounts, including merchandise, you have to present a valid DVC membership card, and that to get a card you have to buy 75 points direct, etc. So while there's always nuance to be found, it is a little more clear now than it was previously (IMHO)
Yep. I found this buried in the fine print under "Member Benefits & More"
Important Information about Membership Extras:
Membership Extras, such as vacation options in the Disney and Concierge Collections, certain discounts, offers, and special events are incidental benefits. These incidental benefits are subject to change or termination without notice, may require the payment of a fee and cannot be combined with any other offers or promotions. Membership Extras are also subject to availability and block-out dates may apply, including high periods of demand such as Christmas and New Year’s Day. To receive any Membership Extras, purchasers must present a valid Disney Vacation Club Membership Card along with a corresponding valid photo ID. Effective February 25, 2018, to obtain a Disney Vacation Club Membership Card, Members must accumulate a total of at least 75 Vacation Points purchased directly from Disney Vacation Development, Inc. Disney and Concierge Collections options are not available for ownership interests not purchased directly from Disney Vacation Development, Inc. after March 21, 2011, and, effective April 4, 2016, Members who have not purchased an ownership interest directly from Disney Vacation Development, Inc. will not have access to Membership Extras.

And I want to clarify my distinction between "owner" and "member". It's obvious that DVC refers to anyone who purchased a contract as "member". But there is a distinct difference in the way that they treat the direct purchasers and the redheaded stepchild who bought their contract on the resale market. With the latest round of restrictions, they have pretty much relegated the new resale purchasers to "owner" status with none of the benefits of "membership". Resale buyers are entitled to anything that their dues pay for (pool hopping, access to TOTWL, free parking of your vehicle when staying on points, etc.) but none of the marketing tools that are used to entice direct purchasing such as ticket discounts, Member Magic events and access to the Members' Lounge.

Membership Extras, such as vacation options in the Disney and Concierge Collections, certain discounts, offers, and special events are incidental benefits. These incidental benefits are subject to change or termination without notice, may require the payment of a fee and cannot be combined with any other offers or promotions. Membership Extras are also subject to availability and block-out dates may apply, including high periods of demand such as Christmas and New Year’s Day.

So pretty much if "they" decide to strip your benefits and you only travel at this time of year and you bought direct you're now just like us...Welcome to the "no perks club", come on in, we're friendly :welcome:

Membership Extras, such as vacation options in the Disney and Concierge Collections, certain discounts, offers, and special events are incidental benefits. These incidental benefits are subject to change or termination without notice, may require the payment of a fee and cannot be combined with any other offers or promotions. Membership Extras are also subject to availability and block-out dates may apply, including high periods of demand such as Christmas and New Year’s Day.

So pretty much if "they" decide to strip your benefits and you only travel at this time of year and you bought direct you're now just like us...Welcome to the "no perks club", come on in, we're friendly :welcome:

They're referring to TOTW lounge there in bold. That is indeed restricted around NYE and July 4th.

They're referring to TOTW lounge there in bold. That is indeed restricted around NYE and July 4th.

Actually that's sometimes for discounts and stuff. At 10% they probably won't bother but discounts have, in the past, been blocked out for holidays. TOTWL is not an incidental benefit (membership extra) because it's maintained with dues money.

I would answer yes and if they ask to see the card you just note that you are a member but just don't qualify for the discount at that point they should not give you the discount. With that you answered appropriately but then admit you are not allowed the discount. I would say on my last trip the majority of people asked to see the card when getting the discount. Some would just look at the card, other would look at the card and want the license. It varies so it is possible that you will find some who just ask and not look, but I would say that it is uncommon.

Actually that's sometimes for discounts and stuff. At 10% they probably won't bother but discounts have, in the past, been blocked out for holidays. TOTWL is not an incidental benefit (membership extra) because it's maintained with dues money.

Oh good point, in my experience there are no discounts for Thanksgiving dinner. I'd assume xmas is same way.

As a resale buyer, you pay the same amount of dues/fees as those who purchased direct. To me you ARE a member and should get all the perks, sadly DVC doesn't see it that way, maybe the new boss will have his head on straight and let all members have the same perks.

FYI, I did buy direct back in 1993

Perhaps, but putting limitations on Resale vs Direct is extremely common throughout the timeshare industry...and at its heart, DVC is a timeshare. The company makes their money selling direct, like every other timeshare company. So I wouldn't expect, or even be hopeful, that resale restrictions will change. If anything, they will be even more restrictive if they can figure out how to do so legally.

Every time I've bought something and used my DVC discount, the CM has asked for my blue card before giving it me. You must've hit the YOLO ones!

I was asked twice on my recent trip (both at the resort for merchandise). I said I was, but I didn't have a card. They gave me a discount. No one ever asked at restaurants or at another store and I didn't inquire so there were no discounts. I honestly don't even know what is eligible for a discount so trying to sneak one in would've probably been foolish on my part.

It's a little annoying being a "second-class" member, but as someone said above, I saved quite a bit buying resale so it's okay.

Just a personal opinion? "Are you a DVC member?" is likely an incorrect question, left over from the early days.
""Are you a DVC Blue-Card holder?" MIGHT be a better question. Maybe time for a little Staff Retraining?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter