Rent a car vs Uber/lyft

lookame

DIS Veteran
So we’re going to Disneyworld jan 4-12...well our flight lands around midnight on the 5th so it’s more jan 5-12. Anyway I’m wondering which is more cost effective. I’d prefer to avoid the busses if at all possible. So we land around midnight and we’ll be doing a split stay at AOA and Pop. The 5th and 6th are built in relax days which we plan to go to Disney Springs and/or hang out at the resort and swim. The 5th we have a reservation at Beaches and Cream for dinner and the 6th we have a late breakfast at Cape May planned. The 7th we switch to Pop and that is also the day we’ll hit up Universal. The 8, 9, 10 and 11 are Disney park days with the possibility of the 12 as a kid pick park day or Disney springs again before heading to the airport.

Right now I have $600 set aside for a car rental since there’s the cost of the rental plus a credit hold for possible incidentals and $200 for gas and tolls plus $104 for Disney resort parking and $20 to park at universal...

I don’t know how much Uber/lyft costs per trip plus tip

It’ll be me, DH and 2 kids aged 12 and 4. In a rental my 4 yr old would need a car seat but if about Uber/lyft.

Uber has a price calculator built in right on their site. Have you looked there?

You will need a car seat. Very few Ubers in the area offer that, so your wait could be long.

For $600, I’d personally learn to at least tolerate the buses. That’s not an insignificant amount of money to potentially save.

So from what I’ve read is there’s the charge for the rental which is $300-$400 and then there’s a hold fee of an additional $150-$200. After the rental is returned in good, clean condition and tank is full then that $150-$200 hold is released so we’d only technically pay about $300 or $400 for the rental fees but still need to have that additional amount set aside

Honestly, pop and aoa both have terrific bus service. I would really primarily on that and use Uber or Lyft when the buses are inconvenient. Buy a bubble bum for the 4 year old so you can easily bring it with you when needed.

Onsite rides will cost $10 or less. A ride to universal will be around $15. Even if you took a Lyft for every trip, you wouldn't come close to spending $600.

Honestly, pop and aoa both have terrific bus service. I would really primarily on that and use Uber or Lyft when the buses are inconvenient. Buy a bubble bum for the 4 year old so you can easily bring it with you when needed.

Onsite rides will cost $10 or less. A ride to universal will be around $15. Even if you took a Lyft for every trip, you wouldn't come close to spending $600.

I guess though at that point my 4 yr old would have problems requiring a car seat for the Uber/lyft

Ive read that busses tend to take about an hr to get anywhere and they are crowded, especially when people park at Disney Springs and ride the bus to the park. At AOA we’ll be in the mermaid suites which are far from the bus drop off and the bus terminals aren’t covered. Maybe I’m overthinking things but I’ve read so many bad stories the busses worry me

Last edited:
1.I guess though at that point my 4 yr old would have problems requiring a car seat for the Uber/lyft

2a. Ive read that busses tend to take about an hr to get anywhere and they are crowded,

2b. especially when people park at Disney Springs and ride the bus to the park.

2c. At AOA we’ll be in the mermaid suites which are far from the bus drop off and the bus terminals aren’t covered.

2d. Maybe I’m overthinking things but I’ve read so many bad stories the busses worry me
1. That's why I suggested getting a bubble bum. It's an inflatable booster that you can bring with you.

2a. You should allow an hour, but it doesn't actually take that long. You should allow an hour if you're driving, too.
2b. There are no buses from Disney Springs to the parks -- for that very reason.
2c. With all of the walking that you'll be doing, I wouldn't be super worried about a 4 minute walk to the bus stop. If I remember correctly, the bus stops are at least partially covered.
2d. We always take the buses and have never had a bad experience at a value resort. Don't believe everything you read. I recommend giving it a try.

I agree with Alesia, and have one other suggestion.

BubbleBums and similar are sold at Target, Walmart, and online for +/-$30. BubbleBum is a one-pound inflatable that will fit easily in a backpack when not in use. That completely solves the Uber-with-childseat availability problem, and also opens up the ability to use Lyft.

For $30, you have great availability of inexpensive, very quick pickup, rides anywhere at WDW. AND...they will take you offsite for shopping, dining (much more variety, better food, less expensive -- with 4 people, you'll probably save your Uber fares on the meal), or whatever.

The other suggestion I would make is to take the Disney MinnieVan at least once during your visit. It's $25 anywhere onsite, and your kids will LOVE it. See some of the MinnieVan threads for pictures and reviews. MinnieVans, however, will NOT take you offsite; you'll have to use Uber/Lyft for those trips.

To save $400, I'd ride the buses every single day of my trip hands down. Hands down.

I’ve never had any “hold” done by a rental car company.

I’ve read it on every car rental site that they’ll charge the rental fee of $20- $30 a day and to make sure there’s additional $150-$200 of credit available as they hold that in case the car is returned in worse condition. Hertz was $200 while others were less, one said they put a hold of 20% the rental cost. The charge falls off after the car is returned in good condition.

I've never seen a hold on my credit card, are you thinking of a debit? I rent through Costco, and when I pick up the car the full amount of the rental is immediately pending on my charges. I have a lot of credit available though, so who knows? I think you should be able to get a week rental for $200 or less, and $200 for gas and tolls is way too high. I've never used more than one tank of gas just driving to and from the airport and around Disney/Universal. Have you tried to make a rental reservation to check the price? Rates usually go down as the date approaches.

We're staying at a DS hotel, with buses to the parks. No way we'll rent a car just so we can park it all day. And that time of year should be more than manageable in terms of attendance. If I were you, I'd try the buses, boats and monorails, plus an Uber/Lyft now and then. You'll have more $$ for meals and souvenirs, maybe even a behind the scenes tour.

I’ve never had any “hold” done by a rental car company.

Same here, I have no idea what that is. Also fill the gas tank before returning to avoid excessive "refueling" charges and just say "NO" if they want to charge you for 'insurance' (whatever they call it) or any other extras...........any licensed driver who already has car insurance has NO reason to choose that. Any rental car I have ever returned at an airport does a very cursory walk around the vehicle and unless you got into an accident, never had any issues.

What rental car company are you using?

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!