RENDEZVOUS AT THE FORT - The Fort Wilderness DISMeet Trip Report October 2020

Okay I updated the chart in post #1 with HC (headcount) based on best guess methodology.

Also I've spoken with the head cook and a burger/hot dog pot luck is scheduled for 5pm on Monday October 12. I've seen people volunteer to bring some side dishes and that's great - keep it coming.

As I mentioned previously, I will be repairing my Mickey Lamp made years ago. Our poster @CDNCruiser (Gary) provided these instructions over 10 years ago and now I see he has a YT version of instructions (naturally) but there is a link in the post below with the original written instructions.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/mickey-mouse-lamp-post-video-instructions.3713235/

Also please consider making a donation to Give Kids the World Village on our special DISMeet giving page. You can make a donation in your name or anonymously and any amount would be appreciated. As I said earlier in this thread, DISMeets (and the DIS in general) supporting GKTW is a tradition.

https://give.gktw.org/team/313091

Here's more info on GKTW.

Bama Ed
Done!

Oldest DD has to attend the HS football game on the 9th, so instead of leaving around 5am on the 9th and staying at Lake Louisa the night before arrival ill instead be leaving around 11pm. I won't arrive until around 10am on Saturday morning. You folks already there are in for a treat. I will be LOADED on Mt. Dew and fresh off I-75. Should be a treat!

Since girls are now going with us I was able to upgrade Tony's in MK on the 13th to 4 people and The Brown Derby on the 15th to 4 as well. I was not able to upgrade Whispering Canyon to 4 people on our arrival day. Shame.

@tiggerdad and @PaHunter , both of those options sound delicious! Why don’t we potluck it, if one or both of you guys want to handle the main course and the rest of us can bring sides, finger foods, desert, plates/cups, etc. I can keep a running list of who’s bringing what in this post if you want me to help coordinate that.

Activities Placeholder

Since TeamUBR is bringing Toasted Ravioli, I will go ahead and smoke a couple of Pork loins, then slice them and freeze them up for the trip. Have been smoking beef jerky for the last two nights, but that probably won't last until the trip.

I was not able to upgrade Whispering Canyon to 4 people on our arrival day.
I'd just show up. They're mostly using the bigger tables right now with the social distancing stuff and I have a feeling they can accommodate you.

#17? I'm still on #210, well #209 now

I start working on #1, then move to #2 ......

Now #22 - Verify SunPass account is up to date and has current info.

CHECK

Bama Ed

PS - after having to forgot/reset stupid password and look up username....... :surfweb:

I start working on #1, then move to #2 ......

CHECK

Bama Ed

PS - after having to forgot/reset stupid password and look up username....... :surfweb:

Did that the other day, but forgot to add money to account, so have to go back in and do that yet.

Did that the other day, but forgot to add money to account, so have to go back in and do that yet.

Lol, Chris, you probably burn through the toll money in your account faster than I do. :car: ED

PS - how many axles do you have when pulling the trailer? 5 or 6?

I did that the other day AND added another sticker for DWs car. I actually went with EzPASS (free sticker) and found out in July that it works on the I-80 Indiana/Illinois toll roads. I had my old truck plate registered on the sticker (never put it in the old truck. Put old plates on new truck and it automatically charged both ways despite 2 different vehicles. DW followed in her Explorer (no sticker or registered plate) and we had to go on line to pay hers. I loaded up the truck sticker and ordered a sticker for DWs car in case we take it north again.
I think he is ONLY at 5. :)

j

I have been putting things in the truck that I don't want to forget. The camper comes home next weekend. DW did spring for these. It seems my stacked pumpkin blow up died a few years ago.

20200924_175506_copy_1612x907.jpg

My biggest concern is DS will forget his passport and magic band here. (he is flying in on the 8th) I told him he can't fly without the passport (we didn't get the Real ID license). I have plenty of Magic Bands for him, but I figured he would be more likely to remember that.

j

Lol, Chris, you probably burn through the toll money in your account faster than I do. :car: ED

Jim, got the answer right on that one, we have 5.

Well the Govenator of Florida has announced Florida is immediately moving to Phase 3 of reopening from the Covid epidemic.

https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/2020/09/25/gov-desantis-florida-moving-to-phase-3-of-reopening/

Here is what is in the theme park section of Phase 3 of re-opening (see the bottom of the page):

Phase 3 Theme Parks.PNG

Does this mean Disney will move to extend park hours? Remove mask requirements? Allow Trick or Treating and the Golf Cart Parade for Halloween? Take restaurants back up to 100% capacity? Bring back the campfire singalong?
Can they do it before most of us DISMeet folks start arriving two weeks from now? popcorn::

Bama Ed

Last edited:
Does this mean Disney will move to extend park hours? Remove mask requirements? Allow Trick or Treating and the Golf Cart Parade for Halloween? Take restaurants back up to 100% capacity? Bring back the campfire singalong?
That's going to be a negative (IMHO). They aren't going to risk the infection numbers going up right now and they've spent a bunch of money on all their social distancing measures. I think they likely have got to recoup some more $ before they are comfortable bring more cast members back. I think that's all here to stay until at least December but possibly the new year.

PS...all I want them to do is let me buy an annual pass for goodness sakes.

Is this going to get the crowds back up!? I hope not! Was looking forward to some short lines. Would like to see park hours extended though.

Is this going to get the crowds back up!? I hope not! Was looking forward to some short lines. Would like to see park hours extended though.
They've already been adding capacity. Just saw today they've added more park passes and I can confirm because previously the week we are there previously had no HS availability, now it does.

Well if they don't it becomes a "chicken or the egg" circular problem.

I'm not asking for any Mickey's Not So Scary to be squeezed in or the Christmas stuff. Not even asking for a real parade or fireworks/castle projections.

But I would like to see the parks extend their hours at a minimum. And if they've added capacity and will have more folks, maybe the hours will follow.

Bama Ed

I suspect Disney is going to take a more conservative approach. I read somewhere that Disney was not in favor of loosening standards, but felt pressured by the governor. Florida, overall, still has a positivity rate over 10%. Bars and closer contact indoors has been linked to recent upticks. Disney has done a very good job containing spread and avoiding a PR problem. I'm sure they want to continue that.

j

I suspect Disney is going to take a more conservative approach. I read somewhere that Disney was not in favor of loosening standards, but felt pressured by the governor. Florida, overall, still has a positivity rate over 10%. Bars and closer contact indoors has been linked to recent upticks. Disney has done a very good job containing spread and avoiding a PR problem. I'm sure they want to continue that.

j

That's why the overall Covid rate has been steady lately in the Sunshine State.

https://tallahasseereports.com/2020...ive-trends-for-florida-in-coronavirus-battle/

Positivity rates are only a calculation based on a denominator of tests and if 10% of those who come in for a test (after a half year of this stuff) that's a pretty low hit rate.

Bars and closer contacts have been an issue but in my college town where there are traditionally "close contact" things have settled down since the MSM reports that occurred during Bid Week (mid-August).

Disney doesn't want to safe their theme parks into bankruptcy. Disney would want to generate revenue while providing a safe customer experience. Disney is so conservative that as Arc described they are already adding capacity (that didn't take long did it?).

Disney wants to avoid a PR problem and also drive some safe revenue to their bottom line while Disneyland sits empty.

A positivity rate is only meaningful if applied across the whole population. If it's not, then it's only the rate of the sympomatic or employer referrals and thus not comparable. It's apples versus oranges. Not comparable.

I think Disney's issue will be lead times given the cycle it takes for people to plan a WDW vacation (unless you "prime the pump" with Florida discounts, FL AP offers, or neighboring states) and then execute that vacation.

Bama Ed

PS - I still want expanded hours....

Well, good news, bad news...
bad news...my niece can’t come with me 😢
good news...it’s because her boss has called her back to work! 👍

so it’s just me coming but that means more dessert for everyone🤣

Peach, that's good news for her and for us (I'll bring a bigger spoon for dessert).

See everyone soon!

ED

PS - I'll update the chart.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter