Recent Trip Observations

qa4ever

Mouseketeer
Just got back from 2.5 days in the park. Sunday we went to Disneyland and arrived just after noon. It was quite busy. Monday we went to Disneyland again with Maxpass and Tuesday we went to DCA with maxpass.

- The parade is great! We went to the 3:30 one and people were lining up up to 2 hours before on Sunday. We found a 2nd row spot around 2:30. We were quite comfortable but the last 10 minutes before the parade everyone was holding spots for many people so it was very crowded/crammed. Kids constantly bumping us etc. (We sat, but behind us people were standing).
- Small World and Haunted Mansion Holiday were also great!
- Rope drop is super important, especially on super busy days. We arrived at the games an hour before opening and were first at the gates each time and were able to get many attractions in the first couple of hours.
- We got maxpass/photopass, however, we didn't do as many photopass photos as we'd like as whenever we would see a photographer, there was generally a really long line. We asked for magic shots each time and didn't get even one. I do like getting the ride photos though.
- Fastpass lines are a real problem. They give out way too many. Many times the fastpass line was 30+ minutes. I'd rather I get less throughout the day, but the waits are actually quick. Last night RSR was lined up pass Flos! TSM was also lined up past incredicoaster.
- Walkways were really crowded, and CMs were helping with directing traffic. Yesterday at DCA felt much better, not sure if there is just more space to walk, or because it was less busy yesterday.
- Many people stopping dead in the middle of a walkway to have a conversation/check map, etc is very annoying.
- Even with the big crowds, we had a blast and were able to see a ton!
- Mobile ordering is great, but I found the waits with mobile ordering were still quite long at times (but overall would still be faster than waiting in line). Was also unavailable when I tried our first day at galatic grill. Not sure if that is common, or they were backed up or what.
- Lots of rides down. More than I've ever seen. So many times we would be in line and then the ride go down so we'd leave after already investing time waiting in line.
- People in Disneyland dress much nicer than wdw in general! Even the kids, saw many in dress shirts or fancy dresses.
- Lots of poor parenting, but that's nothing new!
- Anaheim hotel is a short walk and comfy place to stay.
- Lots of gluten free options but I do wish they had gluten free chicken nuggets. Chef brought out my meal each time.
- Kid's meals are very filling and I could barely finish them as an adult!
- Can't wait to come back!

Just got back from 2.5 days in the park. Sunday we went to Disneyland and arrived just after noon. It was quite busy. Monday we went to Disneyland again with Maxpass and Tuesday we went to DCA with maxpass.

- The parade is great! We went to the 3:30 one and people were lining up up to 2 hours before on Sunday. We found a 2nd row spot around 2:30. We were quite comfortable but the last 10 minutes before the parade everyone was holding spots for many people so it was very crowded/crammed. Kids constantly bumping us etc. (We sat, but behind us people were standing).
- Small World and Haunted Mansion Holiday were also great!
- Rope drop is super important, especially on super busy days. We arrived at the games an hour before opening and were first at the gates each time and were able to get many attractions in the first couple of hours.
- We got maxpass/photopass, however, we didn't do as many photopass photos as we'd like as whenever we would see a photographer, there was generally a really long line. We asked for magic shots each time and didn't get even one. I do like getting the ride photos though.
- Fastpass lines are a real problem. They give out way too many. Many times the fastpass line was 30+ minutes. I'd rather I get less throughout the day, but the waits are actually quick. Last night RSR was lined up pass Flos! TSM was also lined up past incredicoaster.
- Walkways were really crowded, and CMs were helping with directing traffic. Yesterday at DCA felt much better, not sure if there is just more space to walk, or because it was less busy yesterday.
- Many people stopping dead in the middle of a walkway to have a conversation/check map, etc is very annoying.
- Even with the big crowds, we had a blast and were able to see a ton!
- Mobile ordering is great, but I found the waits with mobile ordering were still quite long at times (but overall would still be faster than waiting in line). Was also unavailable when I tried our first day at galatic grill. Not sure if that is common, or they were backed up or what.
- Lots of rides down. More than I've ever seen. So many times we would be in line and then the ride go down so we'd leave after already investing time waiting in line.
- People in Disneyland dress much nicer than wdw in general! Even the kids, saw many in dress shirts or fancy dresses.
- Lots of poor parenting, but that's nothing new!
- Anaheim hotel is a short walk and comfy place to stay.
- Lots of gluten free options but I do wish they had gluten free chicken nuggets. Chef brought out my meal each time.
- Kid's meals are very filling and I could barely finish them as an adult!
- Can't wait to come back!

I'm glad you had a great time! Getting there early is, indeed, a great strategy.

With mobile ordering, have they signed it to where it's easy to tell where to go for mobile orders?

Yes, very easy to tell where to go. Would be nice if there was some sort of indicator letting you know your wait time. For example, when getting dole whips, even with mobile ordering, we hit "I'm here" and waited about 25 minutes. Would have been nice to know it was going to take that long. Could have even hopped in and watched the show and been back in plenty of time.

thank you for writing....rides down...could be in relationship to your observations about folks stopping in walkway, children melt downs, folks holding spots in what you thought was a comfortable safe place for the parade, long lines.......all of that can carry on to those guests boarding an attraction....and boom, you have a CM directing guests to the exit!!!

I enjoyed reading all your observations from your recent trip. We love MaxPass, but noticed that there doesn't seem to be many PhotoPass Photographers around, unlike WDW. We stayed at Anaheim Hotel on our last visit. It was our first time there. We usually stay at Tropicana but there was no availability. We really enjoyed our stay at Anaheim Hotel. I love the short walk from the Harbor Blvd hotels to the park. Glad you had a good time.

I enjoyed reading all your observations from your recent trip. We love MaxPass, but noticed that there doesn't seem to be many PhotoPass Photographers around, unlike WDW. We stayed at Anaheim Hotel on our last visit. It was our first time there. We usually stay at Tropicana but there was no availability. We really enjoyed our stay at Anaheim Hotel. I love the short walk from the Harbor Blvd hotels to the park. Glad you had a good time.
I think for photographers it's about timing. When I was at the parks Saturday, I found a photopass photographer on the left side of the castle. The park was very busy, yet she looked bored, and people walked right past her. I stopped for castle pictures. I wonder if they just don't stand out? They wear all tan, and don't really say anything, so they could just look like a tourist.. In the summer though, they're normally in the shade. They roam too, so that might also make it difficult to find one.

Fastpass line issues usually have to do with...
1) Guests not knowing how FP works and asking questions when their FP don't work.
2) Guests not knowing how to scan their tickets into the machine.
3) Attractions that break down and everyone who had FPs during the breakdown coming back at the same time.

ME

Last edited:
One of my biggest Disneyland pet peeves is the stopping in the middle of the walkway and also the family of 8 walking slow trying to walk side by side. If rides went down alot that could be why the fast past lines were so long - if you have a fast pass and the ride goes down you can come back any time the ride is back open.

It's so surprising to hear about the mobile ordering. It was amazing on our last trip, and we used it often with little wait for our food.

It's so surprising to hear about the mobile ordering. It was amazing on our last trip, and we used it often with little wait for our food.
I use it constantly and have rarely had to wait more than a few minutes (I always tell it “I’m here” about 5 minutes before I show up, and usually the food is waiting for me).

Once at Hungry Bear it took at least 15 minutes, though.

I think for photographers it's about timing. When I was at the parks Saturday, I found a photopass photographer on the left side of the castle. The park was very busy, yet she looked bored, and people walked right past her. I stopped for castle pictures. I wonder if they just don't stand out? They wear all tan, and don't really say anything, so they could just look like a tourist.. In the summer though, they're normally in the shade. They roam too, so that might also make it difficult to find one.

We've noticed the same thing about PP CMs in DCA, so we asked one why they don't try to flag down more attention from guests. He said they're not allowed to approach guests like that. They have to wait for guests to approach them. (This really doesn't make much sense, does it?) Often, they just get ignored and end up standing around looking awkward. So when you see a PP CM standing around looking lonely, jump in and start a fun photo session. When we do that, there is invariably a line of other guests waiting by the time we're done.

We experienced the same problems with rides down. Tried Midway Mania 3 times and went down every time. Haunted Mansion had issues, but we luckily got to finish the ride before they shut it. Pirates was down. This also lends itself to the fast pass lines, I would think, since they give out the wild card fast passes each time (can't remember what they call it). This allows lots of people to go to any fast pass line anytime they want. We got to use several of those because of the rides going down. Sometimes I wondered if the fast pass line was even an advantage

I use it constantly and have rarely had to wait more than a few minutes (I always tell it “I’m here” about 5 minutes before I show up, and usually the food is waiting for me).

Once at Hungry Bear it took at least 15 minutes, though.
I also use mobile ordering a lot and have never waited more than a few minutes for my food. You have to be careful when you initially place the order because you can select a later time slot if you’re not careful.

Actually, it does. While it certainly makes sense from Disney's perspective, from a guest's perspective, it could seem pushy or aggressive.
But it isn't pushy or aggressive to smile at guests and look friendly. It certainly makes more sense than standing awkwardly off to the side alone, not even making eye contact, so that guests aren't even sure whether the CM is on duty. We've had to ask the CM directly whether he or she was taking photos at that time and whether we could get our photo taken. The CMs always seem so relieved when we ask. Maybe Disney should have the CMs stand by signs saying something like, "PhotoPass Here!" That isn't aggressive, but at least clearly lets guests know that the photographer is on duty at that location.

Just to report on mobile order again. I was at DL yesterday and it was BUSY! I used mobile order at Jolly Holiday around 5pm, which can have really long waits in the regular line. My order was ready within one minute of my hitting the “I’m here” button on the app. I loooooove mobile ordering!!!

The Anaheim hotel was great. I asked for top floor as I heard that was quieter and they granted it. Rooms has fridges and you can get a microwave by request (they asked me if I wanted one). Room was clean and comfortable and quiet. It's very close to the parks (5 min walk but we walk quickly). Felt very safe walking back in the dark, but one night some guy in the parking lot was handing out brochures for something and I saw the manager walking out to tell him to beat it. Only issue we had was that there was no lotion in the room and it was very dry in the area and we kept asking our maid via notes on the bed and she took the notes but didn't leave lotion. We called the front desk who said if we wanted some we would have to come to the front desk and get it! That's not very good customer service as we then had to wait in a long line to get it. They had a drawer of it at the front desk. Not sure why they hold the lotion hostage! We had new condition/shampoo/body wash etc every day given liberally but no lotion!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter