Received Toll Violation from Georgia; Have FL Sunpass

Thank you, Snowmedic. That email gives me some hope. Since the violation and error is with Georgia, I don't know if the email applies to me. I'll hope for the best when I call on Monday. I have made .pdf files of my Sunpass account with the information I think GA will need, so I'm READY!!! I really appreciate your input.

Being someone who lives in Georgia for many years, we have never used or owned a Peach Pass and never will. It's only used for "express lanes". Which were designed for people who want to get to a destination faster than what the current flow of traffic allows. Bad design as it is stupid to pay twice for roads that my taxes have already paid for. HAve never seen where that lane all the way to the left has been traveling faster than others. We just don't travel through Atlanta during high traffic times.
My suggestion is not to use the express lanes. It was a stupid idea our lovely govt dreamed up in my opinion.

All my information is current with Sun Pass and I just got a violation with GA today. Just because GA can’t cross reference my tag with Florida’s system doesn’t make my violation valid.

A collection agency has to prove a debt in the same manner as the entity that the collection agency got the debt info from has to prove the debt.

So you would send the same dispute information that you sent to the toll agency to the collection agency.
And I wonder if you can create a peach pass account using the SunPass, and add your license plate there?
Won't do any good unless you also get a Peachpass transponder, and when in Georgia removing the Sunpass from your windshield, placing it in its special storage bag, and placing the Peachpass on your windshield.

Last edited:
All my information is current with Sun Pass and I just got a violation with GA today. Just because GA can’t cross reference my tag with Florida’s system doesn’t make my violation valid.

I live in Georgia but have a Sunpass from where we would go to WDW/PC for DCL. I didn't bother to get a Peach Pass because I already had the Sunpass. Got a letter from GA yeterday with 7 toll violations on it from late November. Checked my Sunpass account. All is good. Money present. Tolls from earlier in November went through just fine. Going to be talking to them today about clearing this up. I may have more on the way depending on what caused the failure to process in November as I've used the express lanes a couple times this week. I have the movable transponder but it's only a year old so it shouldn't be dead yet.

UPDATE: I spoke to the GA Peachpass folks today. Sunpass was having technical issues most of November. I would definitely recommend if you get a violation, calling them so they can note you did have a sunpass.

Last edited:
Hi, "Belle and Ariel," I had a similar experience... would you mind emailing me (tutorhelp(at)gmail)? I am talking to an attorney about it and had a couple of quick questions. Thanks!

We have the Sunpass mini sticker transponder. We used the express lanes south of Atlanta which are supposedly compatible with Florida Sunpass. The signs say it and a North Carolina one are accepted in the express lanes.
I received a toll violation bill today from Georgia. After being on hold and disconnected several times, I finally reached a person. They said the transponders are scanned by laser and can be missed.
I can either pay or appeal. To do so I need to prove the vehicle is mine (if it wasn't why would I worry about the ticket?????) and that it is on a valid sunpass account with funds available.
She really didn't know what I should send to prove this.
I have my vehicle registration which shows the license matches the one on the bill. I pulled up my sunpass account with dates to show activity before and after the ticket date and they show funds available. My sunpass registration does not show plate info. My activity does show funds taken off 6 hours after the ticket time as I went through the main toll plaza on the turnpike andagain when I got off at I-4.
Would screenshots of those prove it or what can someone suggest I send?
Has anyone had this happen?

OP don't give up hope. We traveled to Orlando and they admitted they missed two tolls. Of course, we were billed by the rental company. I sent 3 email to Sunpass (none were answered), so we sent snail mail. They said they never received it and then we faxed. Finally they admitted they had the original letter and documents we sent 3 weeks before. So they are "working on a credit". Today, we received a bill from Sunpass. THEY owe us money. I tried to call this morning and was cut off 5 times after the prompts. We saw news stories on WESH about Sunpass but's it is one hot mess.

I recently saw a thread mentioning EZ Pass can now be used in FL. EZ Pass offers very limited use right now. But, I will say we have EZ pass and have never experienced problems like this.

I recently got a notification of a settlement in a class action where I was a 'winner'

after lawyer fees and other distributions my award was 27 cents ..... this was a multi-million dollar case .....

have fun

Ah, I see. That is for a regular class memeber. I am going to be a class representative though... you get $5k to $20k on top of what the normal class member does. Doesn't make sense to be a regular class member... but being a class representative is definitely worth it. Thanks again.

I recently got a notification of a settlement in a class action where I was a 'winner'

after lawyer fees and other distributions my award was 27 cents ..... this was a multi-million dollar case .....

have fun

We used the Express Lane near Atlanta on April 7. We have a Sunpass mini transponder and the license plate is registered. I still do not see a charge for the cost of the Express lane. Do I need to be concerned? How long does it take to post?

If you have a credit card attached to your pass account, dispute the charge and let your card handle it. We have had repeated issues in Florida. Once, I had a peach pass with the appropriate florida rental tag attached to the peach pass account. One toll let us through with no issue, another toll said we were in violation. Another time, we were sent fines saying we blew through several tolls....in MIAMI. We were in Orlando. My credit card company took care of it.

We used the Express Lane near Atlanta on April 7. We have a Sunpass mini transponder and the license plate is registered. I still do not see a charge for the cost of the Express lane. Do I need to be concerned? How long does it take to post?
We just received a toll violation letter from our November 2018 trip. It is the second time this has happened--I am OP and we received one last year in July from a December trip. On other trips it posts fine.
We have two vehicles with the sunpass mini attached. We go often and usually the charge posts no problem. After a 20 minute hold, I talked to someone who says there was a problem reading transponders in November and she has had several calls from people with the same issue. I need to again send my Sunpass statement showing funds and my license plate on the account.
When we drive down I am hesitant to use express lanes because of the first problem. Now I'm more disgusted with their incompetence. It seems to happen way to often.

We just received a toll violation letter from our November 2018 trip. It is the second time this has happened--I am OP and we received one last year in July from a December trip. On other trips it posts fine.
We have two vehicles with the sunpass mini attached. We go often and usually the charge posts no problem. After a 20 minute hold, I talked to someone who says there was a problem reading transponders in November and she has had several calls from people with the same issue. I need to again send my Sunpass statement showing funds and my license plate on the account.
When we drive down I am hesitant to use express lanes because of the first problem. Now I'm more disgusted with their incompetence. It seems to happen way to often.
After talking to them they said to send a page of my sunpass activity showing account active with funds as of date. When I pulled it up, I see a toll paid in January with transaction date and time of the November violation. to the minute of the ticket. THEY CHARGED THE TOLL!!!! yet sent me a violation. ?!?!?!?!

Wow, that’s really ridiculous. I’m sure I’m going to get a “violation” too. What a hassle!

I recently got a violation notice from Georgia for November 2018. I have a current SunPass and that car was registered. I haven't had a problem before or since. I did use the express lane on that date but my account was not charged. I called the customer service number and was told there had been a lot of those recently but I would have to appeal in writing and send documentation showing my car was registered to my SunPass account on the date in question. I did so and received a response saying they couldn't process the appeal because I didn't send the documentation. It was in the same envelope! I sent it again but this time I received a collections notice. I'm guessing they must know there was a technical glitch but are trying to extort payment anyway. I suppose it would be easier to just pay the fine but I don't like governments profiting off their own incompetence. I am disputing the collections notice and told them I'd be happy to pay the toll they neglected to collect but I'm not paying a fine. I have legal help available if I need it so I may be taking that route.

I recently got a violation notice from Georgia for November 2018. I have a current SunPass and that car was registered. I haven't had a problem before or since. I did use the express lane on that date but my account was not charged. I called the customer service number and was told there had been a lot of those recently but I would have to appeal in writing and send documentation showing my car was registered to my SunPass account on the date in question. I did so and received a response saying they couldn't process the appeal because I didn't send the documentation. It was in the same envelope! I sent it again but this time I received a collections notice. I'm guessing they must know there was a technical glitch but are trying to extort payment anyway. I suppose it would be easier to just pay the fine but I don't like governments profiting off their own incompetence. I am disputing the collections notice and told them I'd be happy to pay the toll they neglected to collect but I'm not paying a fine. I have legal help available if I need it so I may be taking that route.
Update: My appeal has been approved so I only owe the toll not the fine. Crazy system.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!