RE-OPENING! -- all resorts will open by year-end

Any word on the gift shops in the parks? I don't ride anything, but usually wait in the gift shops for family to return from rides. I am going to assume that Magical Express and Disney transportation will still be able to accommodate my whelchair\scooter.

Any word on the gift shops in the parks? I don't ride anything, but usually wait in the gift shops for family to return from rides. I am going to assume that Magical Express and Disney transportation will still be able to accommodate my whelchair\scooter.
No word on those yet, but at the very least the shops at Disney Springs - including WOD - are still able to accommodate mobility devices as well as they ever did (some of those racks get narrow!). They've definitely identified some protocols for shops and listed them with the "changes when parks reopen" protocols, which leads me to conclude that the dump shops - or at least the majority of them - will reopen just with social distancing queues, plexiglass to protect cashier CMs, a limit on occupancy for each store, and a preference for contactless payment.

I'm a big believer that WDW has something for everyone even if you can't transfer out of your wheelchair. But with the new rules for reopening I'm considering cancelling my trips. From what I've heard they are not having parades, fireworks, character meet and greats, most shows are cancelled, and I think the festivals are also cancelled. So it's mostly limited to rides. The rides are nice and I can do some of them but just doing some rides does not justify the price for me. I want the other parts that are easier for me to enjoy as a wheelchair user.

I would appreciate better clarification on the following:
I heard that Disney will have cooling stations in the parks where guests will be allowed to remove their masks. This was designed to relieve those who are having trouble with breathing due to the heat and humidity.

Don't know how this will work or be controlled. I think some of our disability guests will need this to make it through their day there.

Thanks to anyone who can expand on this topic.

I heard that Disney will have cooling stations in the parks where guests will be allowed to remove their masks. This was designed to relieve those who are having trouble with breathing due to the heat and humidity.

Don't know how this will work or be controlled. I think some of our disability guests will need this to make it through their day there.

Thanks to anyone who can expand on this topic.
Haven't seen where they will be misting areas to take masks off. They said they will be using the old smoking areas. All the parks already have a place with misting fans. We will be going on the passholder preview day.

Anyone who had purchased the Dining Plan will be refunded. If you had a free dining package, you will be eligible to rebook at a later date with a 35% room discount.

I booked a free dining bounce back offer last August for this August and I got the email yesterday. Just to note that my email says that my CURRENT package will be adjusted to have 35% off the room rate. There's no mention of being about to rebook at a later date with the 35% off. Maybe it's been mentioned already but FYI - and it does say the (free) dining plan is being removed.

I'm not sure we'd go in August or anytime this year because of all that's going on plus all the changes to the parks. I do find it annoying they took the free dining away completely. We had a QS dining plan - which for my family of 4 adults (2 young adults) who eat a lot - that free dining plan is worth way way more than the 35% discount. I can understand the issues with table service dining but - realistically if we go - we would probably expect to be able to eat 2 quick service meals a day somewhere - right? lol I think Disney just wants to maximize the revenue per guest since they have to open to reduced capacity. It's not unreasonable but I wish they'd have offered me something better for a future (2021) trip. I haven't called about it yet - still deciding.....

This also makes me wonder if they plan to have other types of meal choices - like a grab and go meal or something in a kiosk with more sitting areas outside. Or perhaps they will use some of the TS locations as seating for QS meals. It will be interesting to see as it could affect those who tend to vacation at WDW because of their ability to accommodate all sorts of serious food allergies. I am sure Disney has thought all this out already - looking forward to seeing how it is all handled.

It just occurred to me to wonder-when they say "most shows are cancelled", so they mean things like the Enchanted Tiki Room, Country Bears, or Carousel of Progress? Or will they just space people further apart to maintain social distancing?

I have no idea. But I suspect things like Beauty and the Beast, Frozen Sing-a-Long, Indiana Jones, etc... are all cancelled.

Hi, Bill.

I feel the same way about all the things that will be taken away.

But I want to go and experience what I can in my happy place in December in case I die.

I'm a big believer that WDW has something for everyone even if you can't transfer out of your wheelchair. But with the new rules for reopening I'm considering cancelling my trips. From what I've heard they are not having parades, fireworks, character meet and greats, most shows are cancelled, and I think the festivals are also cancelled. So it's mostly limited to rides. The rides are nice and I can do some of them but just doing some rides does not justify the price for me. I want the other parts that are easier for me to enjoy as a wheelchair user.

Nothing definite has been shared by Disney other than possible "relaxation zones" - I think the wording was "looking into" creating some areas where a mask may be removed. Any other info out there is speculation at this point, including location, misting/cooling, etc.

Last edited:
Hi, Simba's Mom and BillSears.

I didn't even think about Enchanted Tiki Room, Country Bears, or Carousel of Progress.

Maybe they might be able to space people further apart to maintain social distancing.

I wonder how they would organize spacing for larger families or groups of friends if they want to sit together on bleachers or auditorium seats. If they block off every third bleacher seat space or auditorium seat on one row, then block off the next row and so forth.

In December, I will sorely miss these venues that Disney has announced like, fireworks, parades, shows, etc.

I don't know if these parades or fireworks or large live shows will not be open that I could have seen last December 2019, but these are my favorite things to watch from my wheelchair. Especially with all of the Disney Christmas Holiday venues since I don't or can't ride many of the attractions.

Mickey's Once Upon A Christmastime Parade
Minnie’s Wonderful Christmastime Fireworks show
Mickey's Most Merriest Celebration
A Frozen Holiday Wish
A Totally Tomorrowland Christmas
Magic Kingdom
Happily Ever After Fireworks show
Disney Festival of Fantasy Parade
EPCOT:
?Epcot Forever???
Studios:
Star Wars: A Galactic Spectacular
Fantasmic
Animal Kingdom:
Rivers of Light

I wonder if they will close these December venues when they go in December when I go to my happy place during the Disney Christmas Holiday season. I guess I'll see as the months go by.

Below is a list that WDW may be considering because of either large to smaller guest bleacher seating like Rivers of Light show or Festival of the Lion King show or Fantasmic show with bleacher seats.

Or because of either large to smaller guest auditorium seating like The Hall of Presidents show or Festival of the Lion King auditorium seating show or An American Adventure auditorium seating show with uditorium seating.

Or live shows causing crowds standing only like castle shows.

Or is it indoors versus outdoors.

Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party hard ticket, etc.
Candlelight Processional
Fantasmic
Jingle Bell, Jingle BAM! Holiday Nighttime Spectacular
Sunset Seasons Greetings
Toy Story Land Holiday Overlay
Diwali, Holiday Festival of Lights
Rivers of Light
Christmas Tree Trail
For the First Time in Forever: A Frozen Sing-Along Celebration
Tree of Life Holiday Awakening
The Hall of Presidents
Country Bear Jamboree
Mickey's PhilharMagic
Enchanted Tiki Room
Carousel of Progress
Monsters, Inc. Laugh Floor
It's Tough to be a Bug
Festival of the Lion King
Finding Nemo - The Musical
UP! A Great Bird Adventure
Festival of the Lion King
An American Adventure
Voyage of The Little Mermaid
Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular
Muppet-Vision 3D
Beauty and The Beast – Live on Stage

It could be any one of the above closings. I don't know.

It just occurred to me to wonder-when they say "most shows are cancelled", so they mean things like the Enchanted Tiki Room, Country Bears, or Carousel of Progress? Or will they just space people further apart to maintain social distancing?
I have no idea. But I suspect things like Beauty and the Beast, Frozen Sing-a-Long, Indiana Jones, etc... are all cancelled.

Last edited:
Which shows/attractions may be closed is just speculation at this point. For the initial re-opening phase this summer, WDW has stated parades, fireworks and character meet & greets will not take place, but there has been no clarification about which shows or attractions will be closed. I suspect that to include shows which involve a live performance; if they can figure out seating for shows such as Carousel of Progress and Tiki Room, those may be open - again speculation. Parks are closing well before dark, rending fireworks a moot point. However, what may or may not be in place come fall or winter is really beyond the realm of anything we can predict at this point.

Hi, lanejudy.

I agree.

I was just looking at everything that WDW could close since there were shows with an auditorium seating or a bleacher seating. One is too many for me. And I don't like any fireworks at all. But I understand crowds and social distancing.

Just the thought makes me wonder how I might really enjoy my December trip versus what I won't be open like last year since WDW already initially saying that fireworks and the only parade will be closed. And the shortening of the park hours meaning I will not be able to visit many or no nighttime Disney Christmas Holiday lighted decorations.

Nighttime is my favorite time and staying at the Magic Kingdom until midnight closing time on some nights.

At least I won't be going to WDW in July.

And the cost.

Which shows/attractions may be closed is just speculation at this point. For the initial re-opening phase this summer, WDW has stated parades, fireworks and character meet & greets will not take place, but there has been no clarification about which shows or attractions will be closed. I suspect that to include shows which involve a live performance; if they can figure out seating for shows such as Carousel of Progress and Tiki Room, those may be open - again speculation. Parks are closing well before dark, rending fireworks a moot point. However, what may or may not be in place come fall or winter is really beyond the realm of anything we can predict at this point.

Last edited:
It has been reported that Universal has added “URest” locations when people can remove masks. We’ll see if WDW does similar, which has already been rumored.

It has been reported that Universal has added “URest” locations when people can remove masks. We’ll see if WDW does similar, which has already been rumored.
My daughter and I went to Disney Springs yesterday and as long as you were not moving around and outside you could remove your mask. I found it rather amusing that the stores only have one entry door and someone is physically there to count you but all the other doors are exits and while there is someone to make sure nobody comes in that door they don't have a device to remove you from the count.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!