Rain question

CdnCarrie

DIS Veteran
Usually we go in the winter months but this time we are going end of August.

I love to go to the parks without a bag. Usually I just take a wristlet and my phone. Expecting that most days will have the afternoon showers so guess we need to bring something.

I really don't want to drag around a rain jacket or a poncho. Thinking umbrella as it may be easier to carry.

What would be the best option?

To be perfectly honest with you, most of the time, I don't bother with anything. When the rain is at it's hardest, we duck under cover until it slacks off, and the we are on our way. I find that umbrellas are a pain to carry around all day, and difficult when you actually have to use them, and there are people all over the place. Ponchos just make me sweat so much, I might as well just walk out in the rain. I do carry a waterproof pouch for my phone, and a couple of ziploc bags for anything else, like my wallet, battery charger, medicine, etc. and that's it.

I bring the dollar ponchos with me. If the weather is too hot and humid I use a compact umbrella instead. DH likes to wear a waterproof hat. We both wear backpacks.

Umbrella would be harder to carry around. A disposable poncho is flat and can fit in a pocket. Poncho is not any bigger than a cell phone..

We usually bring a small bag or pack into the park anyway, so we pack a couple of small umbrellas. We used to do the ponchos all the time but that plastic doesn't breath and we would just get too hot & sweaty. We much prefer the umbrellas now.

We are here for this first time in the summer, and it has rained both afternoons we have been here so far. Never thought I’d say this but... ponchos are a game changer. Our first Day here we had an umbrella, pretty inconvenient. Kept bumping into people with it, got chilly since in the a/c so much and clothes were still a bit damp. Got ponchos the second day here and so glad. Can walk around and not get cold, and they fold up pretty small so not bad to carry around. They’re $10 here at the parks, so if you can get them cheaper elsewhere I would do that.

And LOVED FoP btw :love:

If I know it's going to be raining all day, I bring a windbreaker with a hood on it

If it's just scattered showers I don't bring anything. If rain is coming it usually will only last under 30 min. So I would just go into a store or watch an inside show and let the rain pass

I own a very light and thin raincoat from L.L Bean. You could purchase one of those and tie it around your waist.

I was thinking about a windbreaker and tying it around the waist when not in use. Might be the best idea.
Not sure if a poncho folded would fit into my pocket.

"Drag around" a poncho? I keep mine folded quite nicely in a ziploc bag.
Not sure how an umbrella is any better considering its bulky, not hands free when in use, and doesn't voer much of your body.

"Drag around" a poncho? I keep mine folded quite nicely in a ziploc bag.
Not sure how an umbrella is any better considering its bulky, not hands free when in use, and doesn't voer much of your body.

I don't normally bring a bag into the park. Not sure if I can fit a poncho into the pocket of my shorts.

Most umbrellas have a looped handle. Thinking that might be easier than carrying a poncho in my hands for 12 hours.

We've used ponchos, but this time Im bringing umbrellas. We've tried the small, dollar ponchos from walmart- (two small to do much) and the disney ponchos ( better coverage)- but when we fold them up to put in a bag, the inside gets wet too! Thats obviously not helpful. Plus, when we get back to the resort we have them hanging to dry, and they don't....
We've had some rough rain on our trips! I would imagine for a small shower it won't matter much, but we've had hours of downpours and all day rain days.

We've used ponchos, but this time Im bringing umbrellas. We've tried the small, dollar ponchos from walmart- (two small to do much) and the disney ponchos ( better coverage)- but when we fold them up to put in a bag, the inside gets wet too! Thats obviously not helpful. Plus, when we get back to the resort we have them hanging to dry, and they don't....
We've had some rough rain on our trips! I would imagine for a small shower it won't matter much, but we've had hours of downpours and all day rain days.

Trick for us is that we take them off inside out and put them in a quart size ziploc.
Once we return to the resort we take them out and put them on the hanger with the wet side out.
Always dry by morning.
We usually hang them at 12am and fold them back up at 6am.
Oh and we flip our ziploc bag inside out during that time so its dry.

Just got back from being down there and we took everything, coats, ponchos, hats and umbrellas. The umbrellas are handy to carry around, the other items were a pain to lug around all day. However remember tjhe thunderstorms down there are more violent than anything, so if you were bringing an umbrella make sure its bigger than your "average" pocket umbrella so you can get better rain coverage.

I bring a small travel umbrella (if I remember); otherwise I buy a new Mickey one (all the stores have them, sometimes behind the counter).

That kind of blows the wristlet idea though. My large purse can hold the Mickey ones (and they're really nice)!

We are very cold natured, so we usually just take our rain jackets. We have the nice light weight ones that go all the way to your knees. Easy to tie around your waste if not wearing. They also help to keep us warm when we get inside and the air conditioning starts to freeze us out. We find once our feet get wet, we tend to get cold fast even if the rest of us is dry. Another bonus is they provide large zippered pockets to place things in avoiding the need for a lanyard or a bag.

One thing to consider with umbrellas is that the rain tends to blow in sideways, so I’m not sure how well umbrellas really keep you dry down here when that happens.

I'm a mail man, and as someone who deals with walking in the rain a lot, ponchos are okay for short, light rains, anything substantial and you're still gonna get wet.

I will say though, ziploc bags for your smartphone is the way to go. Keeps the phone dry and you can still use the touch screen through the bag.

TL

Usually we go in the winter months but this time we are going end of August.

I love to go to the parks without a bag. Usually I just take a wristlet and my phone. Expecting that most days will have the afternoon showers so guess we need to bring something.

I really don't want to drag around a rain jacket or a poncho. Thinking umbrella as it may be easier to carry.

What would be the best option?
We bought new ponchos and only wore them once in July. It was just too hot. The rain was refreshing. In August, you will be thrilled for a short downpour.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter