Racism

Keep in mind that my perspective might be quite skewed as I now live in a very liberal area where simply asking "So where are you from?" is decried as a cruel microaggression.
Weird. I live in a very, very liberal city and I've never experienced that :confused3.

WOW I am lucky enough to live in a more liberal area and I have never heard anyone make a comment like this. I would have flipped out!
I would have flipped out and confronted them if I even overheard someone say something like that! It's "sad" that people feel free to spew their hatred.

OP, I think that you will be fine at HDDR.

. The fact is this: racism DOES exist. Even in ‘super liberal’ parts of the country. The fact that people are shocked by this fact, shocks me. However, you can’t not do something because you may experience racism while there or else you would never do anything. There are idiots everywhere. Of course, WDW is no exception. Go to HDDR and have a great time!

This^^

There is racism and discrmination everywhere in our world. No matter how much we don’t want it, it will always exist.

What I don’t get is why people pride themselves on being confrontational. What would have been accomplished by saying anything back to that ignorant person in a place like WDW. It’s not gonna change the persons thought process or opinions. People who say crap like that are looking for a fight (either verbally or physically). Don’t give that to them. Don’t acknowledge that their opinion has any bearing on your life.
OP good for you on walking away and laughing it off. That persons opinion on your life is worth nothing. The hardest (and I believe bravest) thing to do in life is to know when to walk away.

OP also don’t assume that the theming of a place like HDDR would attract a ‘certain type of person’ or that the type of person that would go would treat you negatively.

I had booked a Dinner for our 1st night at Disney at California Grill. When I arrived at the Main gate they told me I had the option of regular parking or Valet. Since I had a Tables In Wonderland I figured I would just go ahead and use the Valet parking at the resort (I had ordered a bunch of custom cakes for the evening so I knew I would have packages at nights end and didn't want to have to walk to far with them and the kids) When I arrived one of the valets waived me in. I drove forward waiting for them to let me know who to give my key to. As soon as they looked at me another Valet yelled at me that I couldn't stay there and had to drive ahead. I drove ahead to another Valet and he was like yes what to you need. I was like well I was told to come here for Valet Parking. He was like oh well it's $33 and he stared at me. I said ok well I have a Tables in Wonderland card. He raised his eyebrow and was like Oh Tables oh ok. Then that's when he switched from skeptical to accommodating. Then he was like to the previous Valet who yelled at me Oh she has a Tables in Wonderland card and the previous Valet just nodded. It was all so demeaning and reeked of racial profiling. I should not have to tell them that I had a TIW card in order for them to accommodate me I could have been willing to spend the money for Valet. I hope no one else is ever treated in such a manner.
I get what you are saying to the nth.
Somedays it's easier to deal with the additional "load" and other times, it isn't. And sometimes it's a total bore to have to think and contemplate in advance a possible bad interreaction.

Before 9/11, when I traveled internationally, I anticipated my luggage would be searched and I'd be targeted for extra questioning as my welcome home greeting. Strangely enough, this rarely happened when I arrived in Africa or the Carribean Islands. Pfft.
I'll admit I was perfectly happy when the air-travel policy changed and everyone's belongings were searched and their bodies scanned. Prolly because misery likes company.

I'm getting much too old for nonsense now and have opted for an in your face stance. I wear elaborate headdresses that might cause some to think I'm an Islamist. The "exotic" headdresses work well with the longer dresses I've always preferred when not wearing thigh high 3 inch heeled boots:lmao:;).

Last edited:

What I don’t get is why people pride themselves on being confrontational. What would have been accomplished by saying anything back to that ignorant person in a place like WDW. It’s not gonna change the persons thought process or opinions. People who say crap like that are looking for a fight (either verbally or physically). Don’t give that to them. Don’t acknowledge that their opinion has any bearing on your life.
People need to be called on when they say things like was said to the OP. Otherwise, we are implicitly supporting their revolting opinion. I can't do that. If they're itching for a verbal fight over their disgusting racist remarks, they'll get it from me. I'm too old to let that kind of crap slide.

People need to be called on when they say things like was said to the OP. Otherwise, we are implicitly supporting their revolting opinion. I can't do that. If they're itching for a verbal fight over their disgusting racist remarks, they'll get it from me. I'm too old to let that kind of crap slide.

Agreed. Their belief in the silent majority is strong. Silence is assumed to be approval.

Not to mention their target deserves to hear that someone disagrees.

So I have a mixed family and I know anytime you get alot of people in one place your bound to get some idiots but in our 4 trips to disney world weve only had one issue with a lady behind us saying "so were marrying gorillas now" at Disney Springs. Me and my wife laughed it off but this trip coming up weve booked Hoop de Du Revu and I was surprised when my wife asked me if we would be welcomed at the show. I think maybe the comment at Disney Springs has stuck with her. My plan is to go and enjoy the show no matter what but is there a higher chance of me setting us up for an issue at this show?

I think you are a lovely couple, able to laugh that ugly, horrible, inappropriate comment off. I'd have caused a scene, and that would have just fed that woman's (she's no lady!) hate. I hope you kissed your wife right in front of that ugly soul!

On my recent trip I experienced Racism at Contemporary resort with some staff members there. It happens don't let it ruin your trip do what you want and enjoy it.

I hope you reported it!

There is racism and discrmination everywhere in our world. No matter how much we don’t want it, it will always exist.

OP good for you on walking away and laughing it off. That persons opinion on your life is worth nothing. The hardest (and I believe bravest) thing to do in life is to know when to walk away.

OP also don’t assume that the theming of a place like HDDR would attract a ‘certain type of person’ or that the type of person that would go would treat you negatively.

If people don't speak out, it's allowing it to continue. Think Hitler.

<edited>

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m going to HDDR for the first time in November. It never crossed my mind to think that something racial might happen there. You can’t live life worrying about stuff like that.

The only time at Disney i ever felt some subtle racism was at LeCellier. And it wasn’t from a CM. It won’t stop me from going back or to think it may happen elsewhere!

So are you sterotyping thinking people who would like ho
Comments like that are not okay anytime, anywhere. I’m so sorry that you had that experience.

But I’m confused about why you might expect HDDR to possibly be worse than anywhere else?

I was wondering the same thing?

I viewed that video as part of a social justice conference. It was accompanied by discourse and activities, and good conversations about microahressions occurred. Using language that describes someone's socioeconomic status or race in a derogatory manner is why message boards are not the place I choose to discuss these issues. If one is unable to hold a conversation without putdowns and generalizations, It's not worth the time. Have a nice day.

I am sorry to hear that happened to you! I am surprised that would happen anywhere at Disney. When we stayed at Fort Wilderness, we definitely felt a different vibe than the other resorts. If MAGA hats and shirts make you uncomfortable, I can see why you might not enjoy Fort Wilderness.

So are you sterotyping thinking people who would like ho

I was wondering the same thing?

This is nothing against HDDR or anyone who likes it at all. Its a fantastic show and the vast majority of Disney guests are nothing but wonderful. But anything 'country' oriented would very generally speaking appeal to Caucasians from the midwest/south more than others. And speaking as a minority myself, I would very generally assume I would be more likely to hear these types of comments when amongst large group of Caucasians from the south/midwest. That's probably the source of the OP's spouse's concern.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter