Racism

Disneyswagger

Earning My Ears
So I have a mixed family and I know anytime you get alot of people in one place your bound to get some idiots but in our 4 trips to disney world weve only had one issue with a lady behind us saying "so were marrying gorillas now" at Disney Springs. Me and my wife laughed it off but this trip coming up weve booked Hoop de Du Revu and I was surprised when my wife asked me if we would be welcomed at the show. I think maybe the comment at Disney Springs has stuck with her. My plan is to go and enjoy the show no matter what but is there a higher chance of me setting us up for an issue at this show?

So I have a mixed family and I know anytime you get alot of people in one place your bound to get some idiots but in our 4 trips to disney world weve only had one issue with a lady behind us saying "so were marrying gorillas now" at Disney Springs. Me and my wife laughed it off but this trip coming up weve booked Hoop de Du Revu and I was surprised when my wife asked me if we would be welcomed at the show. I think maybe the comment at Disney Springs has stuck with her. My plan is to go and enjoy the show no matter what but is there a higher chance of me setting us up for an issue at this show?
There's always one in the crowd so chalk it up to a smh moment or read a book of Dorothy Parker sayings for the ultimate comeback; nothing wrong with being prepared as the Boy Scouts like to say;).
We go to HDDR almost everytime we visit WDW, always have fun and are too busy playing the washboard to hear anything besides the music:).
I have to say that I haven't gotten a "stoopid" comment in almost 15 years about what we look like together but I attribute that to the man getting old. I mean it's not like anyone else wants him any more :rotfl2:.

HTH and have fun out there.

Last edited:
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet Christmas, as Lucas Cage would say.
Good thing I wasn't with y'all or I might have said something about clearly Dr. Doolittle is in the business of teaching animals to talk, too. :(

I am so sorry you had to experience that! Yes you will be welcome at HDDR! That idiot's attitude will NOT be welcomed.

I'm sorry that idiot said that. We've been to both Disney Springs and HDDR multiple times and never witnessed any racism. I agree that the comment you received had nothing to do with location, and was just (bad) luck of the draw. Unfortunately, there is no segregation of idiots in our society.

Comments like that are not okay anytime, anywhere. I’m so sorry that you had that experience.

But I’m confused about why you might expect HDDR to possibly be worse than anywhere else?
Not the OP but there are certain places in Disney that might attract guests more apt to say things that make no sense to others.

It's so sad that there are people that are so worried about what "You" are doing when they should be worrying about what "They" are doing. Her life must be pretty sad if she had to try to belittle you to make herself feel better. Go where you want to eat and have a great time! Don't let the ignorant ruin your trip.

Keep in mind that my perspective might be quite skewed as I now live in a very liberal area where simply asking "So where are you from?" is decried as a cruel microaggression. But, fwiw, from my perspective, comments like that are so far beyond the bounds of appropriateness that you have every right to confront the person with "Excuse me, I thought I heard you make a comment about me / my partner, is that correct?" and to address the issue with a nearby cast member if they don't apologize or retract said statement immediately. Using words like 'gorilla' is one step away from donning a swastika or white supremacist uniform at Disney, as far as I'm concerned, and inappropriateness of that level should be brought to an employee's attention. Disney is a place for children, for crying out loud, that should not be happening.

On a feel better note, I feel like there is a 100% chance that the person making that comment was jealous that either you or your spouse was taken! Green eyed monster coming out, methinks.

WOW I am lucky enough to live in a more liberal area and I have never heard anyone make a comment like this. I would have flipped out! I'm so sorry your wife is still carrying hurt from an ignorant person. HDDR and everywhere else on property will not welcome or tolerate those kinds of remarks. Next time if you don't want to engage directly, get a cast member to show that person the door. It is absolutely disgusting to me that anyone would even think like that but to have enough hate in your heart to say it... it's pathetic.

Maybe I'm naive but I would hate to stereotype a type of entertainment as being more likely to attract racists than others. Surely someone can be a good person regardless of whether or not they enjoy Western-themed shows? Unless it's Country Bear Jamboree, in which case get that person a straightjacket.

OP I hope this kind of horrible thing NEVER happens to you again. Sending some pixie dust your way that you will have a love-filled / hate-free vacation!

This. Now I’m even more confused.
Given the fact that her comment made no sense & she never responded with clarification, I'd say that poster was talking out of her rear end.

OP, don't worry. Look at my signature and see how many Disney trips I've been on during the last five years. My son and I are mixed race, but have never heard a racist comment or been treated badly during any of those trips. You just ran into a complete jerk, through a moment of bad luck. Imo there is a 99.99% chance that it will never happen again.

And I'll add that I'm not even from a "liberal area". I'm from Texas, and people don't talk like that where I'm from, either. Most people everywhere in this country have basic decency. I'm so sorry you encountered one of the few who does not.

Last edited:
Given the fact that her comment made no sense & she never responded with clarification, I'd say that poster was talking out of her rear end.

Don't worry. Look at my signature and see how many Disney trips I've been on during the last five years. My son and I are mixed race, but have never heard a racist comment or been treated badly during any of those trips. You just ran into a complete jerk, through a moment of bad luck. Imo there is a 99.99% chance that it will never happen again.

And I'll add that I'm not even from a "liberal area". I'm from Texas, and people don't talk like that where I'm from, either. Most people everywhere in this country have basic decency. I'm so sorry you encountered one of the few who does not.

I’m from Texas too! And I’ve also never heard anything anywhere close to this. I think you’re fine, OP. Disney - and hopefully anyone else around you - would not allow something like that if they were aware of it. On the very remote chance something like that happens again. I hope you have a great trip.

Not the OP but there are certain places in Disney that might attract guests more apt to say things that make no sense to others.

Who are those guests that are "more apt to say things that make no sense to others"??

A bunch of low income, in-bred, white trash guests who go to HDDR....that are so uneducated that they can't hold their tongues, nor realize that any type of union is perfectly acceptable...

Is that "who" you're implying?? Because it sure smells of that!

I have a ‘mixed family’ and went to HDDR one time. It wasn’t for us, but we never felt uncomfortable or experienced anything like you did at DS. The fact is this: racism DOES exist. Even in ‘super liberal’ parts of the country. The fact that people are shocked by this fact, shocks me. However, you can’t not do something because you may experience racism while there or else you would never do anything. There are idiots everywhere. Of course, WDW is no exception. Go to HDDR and have a great time!

On my recent trip I experienced Racism at Contemporary resort with some staff members there. It happens don't let it ruin your trip do what you want and enjoy it.

Huh?!

How does this:

There's always one in the crowd so chalk it up to a smh moment or read a book of Dorothy Parker sayings for the ultimate comeback; nothing wrong with being prepared as the Boy Scouts like to say;).
We go to HDDR almost everytime we visit WDW, always have fun and are too busy playing the washboard to hear anything besides the music:).
I have to say that I haven't gotten a "stoopid" comment in almost 15 years about what we look like together but I attribute that to the man getting old. I mean it's not like anyone else wants him any more :rotfl2:.

HTH and have fun out there.

and my response to this:

Comments like that are not okay anytime, anywhere. I’m so sorry that you had that experience.

But I’m confused about why you might expect HDDR to possibly be worse than anywhere else?

translate into your post?!?

Who are those guests that are "more apt to say things that make no sense to others"??

A bunch of low income, in-bred, white trash guests who go to HDDR....that are so uneducated that they can't hold their tongues, nor realize that any type of union is perfectly acceptable...

Is that "who" you're implying?? Because it sure smells of that!

My mind is and remains open although I'll admit to being seriously bigoted against stupid people. This does not change various experiences I've had in my life with and without family members and the consequences of those actions to my thoughts at times. It also doesn't change that the OP felt hesitant enough about a specific venue to question whether OP's complete family would be comfortable there; I answered the question and stand by it.
As for who the "who" are? They are "stoopid" people and by my sight come in every permutation one can imagine.

I'm surprised and disappointed you would try to put words in my mouth and especially ones as ugly as those.

ETA: I just read the complete thread including the poster who I've on ignore; I better comprehend the hoopla. Sort of ish-ish.
Oh and the where can be anywhere and no place is immune which is the saddest part.

What happened?

I had booked a Dinner for our 1st night at Disney at California Grill. When I arrived at the Main gate they told me I had the option of regular parking or Valet. Since I had a Tables In Wonderland I figured I would just go ahead and use the Valet parking at the resort (I had ordered a bunch of custom cakes for the evening so I knew I would have packages at nights end and didn't want to have to walk to far with them and the kids) When I arrived one of the valets waived me in. I drove forward waiting for them to let me know who to give my key to. As soon as they looked at me another Valet yelled at me that I couldn't stay there and had to drive ahead. I drove ahead to another Valet and he was like yes what to you need. I was like well I was told to come here for Valet Parking. He was like oh well it's $33 and he stared at me. I said ok well I have a Tables in Wonderland card. He raised his eyebrow and was like Oh Tables oh ok. Then that's when he switched from skeptical to accommodating. Then he was like to the previous Valet who yelled at me Oh she has a Tables in Wonderland card and the previous Valet just nodded. It was all so demeaning and reeked of racial profiling. I should not have to tell them that I had a TIW card in order for them to accommodate me I could have been willing to spend the money for Valet. I hope no one else is ever treated in such a manner.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter