Race at CC for Dream Jan 11,2021 canceled.

Snowwhyt

I feel the Magic with every visit ❤️
It’s virtual now but was $80. But how does that work? In your room on the boat? Before you sail? After? I have a 22 year old Marine that was going to do his first race but now I don’t know what happens except a refund.

Last edited:
It seems like out of all the activities onboard, the race may be one of the safest- especially with staggered start times. This doesn’t bode well for so many other things onboard:(

It’s virtual now but was $80. But how does that work? In your room on the boat? Before you sail? After? I have a 22 year old Marine that was going to do his first race but now I don’t know what happens except a refund.
I thought the 5K on CC was free? Did I miss something?

I thought the 5K on CC was free? Did I miss something?
It is free for the race they offer every day. Although this was a special RunDisnry event that operates just after the WDW RunDisney weekend run, is a paid event.
it also must be part of the WDW runs so you are doing 2 or more when you included CC.
But now I’m trying to understand what the still offered virtual race will entail.

The Marathon weekend races (and the Princess Weekend events) were all converted to virtual events due to COVID.

i replied separately with the links, but to be clear:

it is virtual now as are the WDW race it is tied to. They are using the honor system for reporting of race times. Presumably one would do something like laps on the ship deck 4 or the 5 k route on CC assuming the ship sails.

apparently you can get a refund or continue with the virtual race (If you have a USA address). Info in one of the links I gave above as well as it has contact info for questions.

Since the races at WDW in January are virtual, I guess they had to make the CC challenge virtual, because there is no longer the "challenge" of doing one of the marathon weekend races and the cruise 5k. Even though, the CC 5k as a stand-alone event would likely be relatively safe from a COVID19 perspective, since there are generally less than 1000 people doing it. But also, the cruise may not even happen.

We're signed up for the marathon and were to be on that cruise. We hadn't registered for the CC 5k challenge part yet, while waiting to see if we think a cruise will happen. Though I'm down for doing it virtually.

i replied separately with the links, but to be clear:

it is virtual now as are the WDW race it is tied to. They are using the honor system for reporting of race times. Presumably one would do something like laps on the ship deck 4 or the 5 k route on CC assuming the ship sails.

apparently you can get a refund or continue with the virtual race (If you have a USA address). Info in one of the links I gave above as well as it has contact info for questions.
I’m thankful for your post with the links. I had only seen one of the three prior. I still have a few questions.
We are paid in full for January 11-15, 2020 Dream cruise. Set to arrive at CC on January 12 the original day of the race.
Where does someone virtual race? On the ship track or on the island? Or would they expect that we reschedule the cruise so we participate at home? Dream cruises are short and likely to sail before the 7 day cruises. So things are a little gray for my thoughts here.

I don’t think there is an answer for any of this but I have never run the course so don’t understand if either option would work.

Since the races at WDW in January are virtual, I guess they had to make the CC challenge virtual, because there is no longer the "challenge" of doing one of the marathon weekend races and the cruise 5k. Even though, the CC 5k as a stand-alone event would likely be relatively safe from a COVID19 perspective, since there are generally less than 1000 people doing it. But also, the cruise may not even happen.

We're signed up for the marathon and were to be on that cruise. We hadn't registered for the CC 5k challenge part yet, while waiting to see if we think a cruise will happen. Though I'm down for doing it virtually.
I’m still on the cruise too. If it sails how do you plan to “ virtual “?

Virtual just means race wherever you are. If you are on the cruise, you can race on Deck 4 or on the island. I imagine if it does sail, there will be a lot of people on the cruise who were signed up for the race and they'll be running, too.

Where does someone virtual race?
From the runDisney website:
"These race events may be completed from home, a local running track or favorite running trail. "

Your son will need to be registered for the virtual event. I didn't see anything specified, but usually a "virtual" run has a designated time frame in which to do the run (maybe a week), but where and when is his choice. It's on the honor system - do the run and submit your time online. It looks like the Castaway Cay Challenge has a couple of virtual registration options, depending on what your son wants to receive as race swag.

https://www.rundisney.com/events/disneyworld/disneyworld-marathon-weekend/events/challenges/

I’m still on the cruise too. If it sails how do you plan to “ virtual “?
If the cruise sails (we haven't canceled yet, nor are we paid off), AND if the ship docks at Castaway Cay during that cruise, we will do our virtual run on the island.
If the cruise sails and for some reason (weather or travel restrictions) we do not dock at CC, we will run on the ship.

However, I'm not so sure we'll be sailing by January. :( In that case, we'll run at WDW, since we'll be there the weekend before the cruise anyway (unless travel restrictions change that). We were originally signed up to do the marathon, then CC 5k on the cruise. But I don't want to run a full marathon 'virtually' so we'll be doing the 5k and 10k before the cruise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter