Quick Q-Small World

GuardMusic

Castaway Club Platinum
Hi all! We leave tomorrow and apologize for asking this last minute!

My mother (who refuses any type of walker or wheelchair) has previously had a very difficult time getting in & out of ride vehicles, especially those that sit very low. I researched the accessible ride vehicles & wonder if she can use the accessible boat of Small World so she can avoid the significant up/down since she has virtually no strength/muscle. Do we just ask the Cast Member at the wheelchair entrance?

Thoughts? Ideas?

Yes, you can ask. But only the (guest-provided) wheelchair sits high. The regular passenger seats are like the other boats.

It is also in a lot of damand by people that need it since they can not get out of there wheelchair that the line tends to be very long and the set is the same high as the other are so not sure it will be as much help as you think

I think the seat height is the same, but the ability to walk in the boat and down the ramp as opposed to trying to step over the edge may help.

Yes, you can ask. But only the (guest-provided) wheelchair sits high. The regular passenger seats are like the other boats.
Actually, in my experience the other seats are a little bit higher than in the other boats, unless they have been changes in the past few years. Really, the seats in the regular boats are way too low and unfortunately Disneyland decided to copy them.

If I remember correctly the boats run aground onto a platform with a conveyor belt for loading and unloading. This makes them seem higher at the handicapped dock. Then they are let back down into the water and must go through a low tunnel first thing (illustrated in the Rollingwith link preceding.).

Also I think that there were some older handicapped boats fabricated from regular boats with many (original) seats down low in front and a higher deck (matching the dock height) for wheelchairs in back.

The boat would be less stable if everyone sat higher. They could get away with the seats a little higher in the handicapped boat by not having as many people inside for each trip.

Last edited:

If I remember correctly the boats run aground onto a platform with a conveyor belt for loading and unloading. This makes them seem higher at the handicapped dock. Then they are let back down into the water and must go through a low tunnel first thing (illustrated in the Rollingwith link preceding.).

Also I think that there were some older handicapped boats fabricated from regular boats with many (original) seats down low in front and a higher deck (matching the dock height) for wheelchairs in back.

The boat would be less stable if everyone sat higher. They could get away with the seats a little higher in the handicapped boat by not having as many people inside for each trip.
None of this correct and it never was like this

My first job was at Small World in 1976 (yikes has it really been that long ago)
The boats float through the attraction. Each boat has four wheels on it one on each corner of the boat. The wheels stick out sideways like the wings on an airplane. There is a track to keep the boats in-line. The boats float between the track they are not attached to it. Think sideways railroad track. Under water in the track area there are pumps that push the water propllling the boats forward.
In the load/unload area the boats roll up on conveyor belts. Four of them if I remember correctly. First one is staging, next 2 are for first and second loading areas, 4th is dispatch.
The wheelchair accessible boats happened long after I worked there.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter