Questions about Flying out of Buffalo

Jo-Anne

DIS Veteran
We'll probably fly out of Buffalo for our Nov cruise as it is sure to be cheaper than Air Canada. For those with this experience,
1) how is Southwest as an airline?
2) Is it still first come first serve on seating?
3) We'd like to do the direct flight in the morning which probably means going down night before and staying overnight..does anyone have good hotel experiences to share?
4) What do folks do about their car for a week?
5) When should I book for four people for mid Nov?
Thanks, Jo

Hi Jo-Anne!:wave:

I think I can answer a few of your questions for you.:D We flew out of Buffalo with Southwest for the first time March 17th and returned April 10th and I can honestly say they are a fantastic airline with fantastic prices to boot!;) I decided to try Southwest after reading about them on the DIS boards. Head on over to the Transportation Boards and you'll find a ton of good things being said about SW.

Yes the seating is first come first serve but make sure you get there with time to spare and you'll have no problems. When you check in they'll give you an A B or C boarding pass and then when it's time for departure they allow anyone handicapped,elderly,and then those families with children under the age of 4 to pre-board then they'll start boarding the A's then the B's and so on. We were there about 2 hours (we also took the 7:30AM direct flight)before our flight left and had no problem getting the seats we wanted and then on the return trip we did the same. I found them to be very nice with a little "comedy" thrown in.

Also you might want to take a snack on board as we only got juice or tea,coffee etc with a small package of cookies. But we had stopped at Timmies and bought a muffin which we had with coffee in the departure lounge.:)

Check out the Buffalo airport website to see where the Park'n Fly place is and how much the charges are. Also a lot of hotels will gladly (and free too) keep your car if you spend the night at their hotel.:)

Hope this helps you a little!;) Happy planning.:)

I second everything Sammi said about SW and as far as hotel and car storage we stayed at the Holiday inn right across the street ( pretty much) for $79/night which includes keeping your car for 2 weeks and a fantastic shuttle service. They picked us up within 5 min. of our return home.

I love the Buffalo airport I have been flying in and out of there for 5 years so mush easier then Toronto plus if you have kids they have a nice fisher price sponsored toy room. As for prices make sure to check US Airways as well they have had some great prices lately.

Allison

Allison - do you mean US Air out of Toronto, or do they go out of BUffalo as well? Thanks, Jo

Jo-Anne - Hi!
DH always uses Buffalo when "coming home" (myself and kids usually drive - too much stuff!)
Check out AirTran.com - I just did a random search and they are showing some flights BUF to Orlando at $57US one way (that was July)! Other flights at $92. OW. Their flights for Nov aren't in their system yet, but just keep checking as they seem to have reoccuring sales - so you can wait closer to your departure.
The only thing with AirTran is you would have to connect in Atlanta - but from what I hear that is pretty painless with AT.
AirTran uses new Boeing 717's - and DH says they are pretty nice and comfortable.
Happy Planning!

Originally posted by Jo-Anne
Allison - do you mean US Air out of Toronto, or do they go out of BUffalo as well? Thanks, Jo

They fly out of both but Buffalo will be cheaper. I found them to be the cheapest for my summer trip to Las Vegas. Even better then Southwest and Jet Blue.

Allison

I love the Buffalo airport. Why, because I live 10 seconds away from it. I here the morning southwest flight everyday.

1) How is Southwest as an airline?

I have never had a bad experience with southwest, especially flying to Orlando. I love the morning non-stop flight. Theres no better way to go.

2) Is it still first come first serve on seating?

I can't remember, if is was or not. I pretty sure it was first come first serve.

3) We'd like to do the direct flight in the morning which probably means going down night before and staying overnight..does anyone have good hotel experiences to share?

The Homewood Suites is probably the nicest in the area because it is only 3 years old. An also pretty good one is the Radisson

4) What do folks do about their car for a week?

Free shuttles run to and from the Buf Airport . Rates are $2/first hour; each additional hour $1, daily maximum $8.25, weekly maximum $38

5) When should I book for four people for mid Nov?

As soon as the rates come out. Usually in July. They go very fast for the first flight of the day.

Thanks to everyone for their great information. I know I can always count on the folks on this board for all my questions! Thanks, Jo

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter