Question about Rides that you can use your WheelChair on

sncbird

<font color=blue>I need a Starbucks Latte!<br><fon
Hi,

We're going to WDW for the first time this October. I can't walk long distances so I'm bringing my manual wheelchair with us.

Do most of the attractions have a special car that will fit a manual wheelchair and how many members of your party can go on the ride with you? We'll be spending the majority of our time at MK.

Thanks!!! :cool: :cool:

Since you stated that you can't walk long distances I am going to assume that you can walk. When you get to the loading area of the rides you will be asked if you can transfer if you can walk you would say yes and they will have you walk onto the ride and a CM will then park your wheelchair and set it near the exit of the ride. For those that can't stand or walk at all they tell the CM they can't transfer and wait for the special car to come along (which can be an long wait if it just went by). Winnie the Pooh and Buzz Lightyear have room for 1 person in a wheelchair and 1 additional person in the special car. It's a small world can take 2 wheelchairs and 6 additional people. If you have to stay in your chair all of the rides in the other parks that allow the chair on will take your whole party in the same car. If you transfer on the rides the CM will always have your chair waiting there for you just like they do on rides that the chairs can't go on.

Thanks Michigan,

I can still walk some but, I wouldn't be able to step up onto rides that aren't even with the ground and I would have a very difficult time getting up off the seats of the rides. I should have explained that in my original posting.

I really appreciate your detail about the rides. If any one else has any, I would love to hear from you!!

Here is a link that will help you. Click here for Mobility Disability Info.
Scroll ALL the way to the bottom and you will find listings of which rides you can stay in a wheelchair for and which require a transfer out.
You can also tell quickly by looking at the park map whether or not you can stay in a wheelchair. if there is a little wheelchair symbol by the ride, you can stay in your wheelchair for the entire ride.
MK is the oldest park, so it is also the one that is least friendly for people with disabilites. For the theater presentations, you will be able to stay in the wheelchair, but some of them have very limited seating for the rest of your party. In general, if you are using an alternate entrance to get into a ride, the Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities says you and up to 5 members of your party may enter that way. Most rides have been changed to "Mainstream Access" where wheelchair or ecv users wait in the same line with everyone else.
At MK, you can stay in the wheelchair for these rides: Winnie the Pooh, Buzz Lightyear, the Railroad, Small World, Liberty Belle Riverboat. You will wait extra (sometimes a lot extra) for the wheelchair car for these rides. Winnie the Pooh and Buzz accomidate a wheelchair and one person in the car. Small World has a boat you drive on and about 6 other people can fit on the boat. If you get out of the wheelchair at SW, you need to step down onto the seat of the boat and step down again to the floor. You may want to get out of the wheelchair on Pooh and Buzz because they are easier to get into the car and then you won't have to wait as long.
If you want specific info about any rides, or think of any other questions, just ask.
‡

SueM in MN
Co-Moderator of disABILITIES

Sue,
You can request the accessible boat even if you can transfer. My power w/c is quite heavy and rather than take it on SW I use my canes and the ramp boat or they bring a manual chair for me to use.

Pooh

That's a good point lisapooh. i just meant to point out that at SM if you get out of the chair, they are likely to just have you get on a regular boat which will mean 2 long steps down.

SueM in MN

Sue,
I flat out refuse and tell them I will wait for the ramped boat. Only once had an argument about it and the other castmember told the one arguing to stop, that if I didn't feel it was safe for me then I should wait.

Pooh

That's good to know. I think most CMs wouldn't think of the ramp boat as anything but something for a wheelchair to roll onto and most guests don't know it exists.
I can think of 3 rides with ramp boats: Small World, the Mexico ride in Epcot and Living with the Land (Epcot). Are there others you can think of?
I guess you could also count the Safari at AK and the Backstage Tour at MGM because they do have a ramp to get up into the front car. Ω

SueM in MN

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter