Quarantine / travel info Canada to Australia for emergency info needed

tlcdoula

DIS Veteran
I am hoping to get some information for my friend who’s husband is in icu in Sydney. I understand there is a mandatory 14 day hotel quarantine for all international travellers. Is there a way for her to be tested and if neg be able to have the length of quarantine reduced?

She is a Canadian who has residency in Australia but moved back to Canada over a year ago.

I appreciate any info or tips are appreciated.

I am hoping to get some information for my friend who’s husband is in icu in Sydney. I understand there is a mandatory 14 day hotel quarantine for all international travellers. Is there a way for her to be tested and if neg be able to have the length of quarantine reduced?

She is a Canadian who has residency in Australia but moved back to Canada over a year ago.

I'm so sorry about your friend's husband. Hope he pulls through soon! There appears to be a lot of information here --> https://www.health.gov.au/news/heal...-covid-19-advice-for-international-travellers

** Edited to add **
From reading the above website, it sounds like the only country that you can fly in from which Australia considers a 'green zone' is New Zealand. However, the website also mentions that you can apply for a quarantine exemption on compassionate grounds, but you have to apply to that specific state in Australia for the exemption.

I've read elsewhere that the cost of the quarantine is in the $3000 range. 3 meals a day are brought to you in your hotel room for the entire 2 weeks. You do not leave the room for any reason. So you don't get to choose where you quarantine. The Australian government determines that and you pay the cost of it.

Last edited:

There are issues your friend will unfortunately face.

1. There are restrictions on who is allowed into Australia. As she is an Australian resident (or her husband is), then she won’t have a problem.

2. It is very hard to get a flight (or rather, an entry place). There have been many stories about Aussies facing severe struggles to get a flight home, or flights being cancelled. I think her only options would be United or Delta from the US, and even then she will be lucky to get a flight. I think this might be the biggest challenge.

3. As you said, there is a compulsory 14 day hotel quarantine for all international arrivals. There are some exemptions, but mainly for certain industries. Even our Prime Minister has had to do it (although in his own accommodation). She can apply for an exemption on compassionate grounds, which is done through the health department of the state she is arriving in. However, it is very rare to be granted an exemption, and rarer still for a full exemption. Her most likely chance is to get a flight to Sydney and then get an exemption to make visits to her husband in hospital. The application is here:https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/Infectious/covid-19/Pages/quarantine-exemptions.aspx

4. There is a cost involved in hotel quarantine. I believe in NSW it is $3,000 for the first adult. Flights will obviously also be more expensive.

Sending lots of positive vibes and good wishes to your friend!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter