QSDP question

wendow

We create happiness.
I'm helping my neighbor plan a trip. They will need two value rooms. She is thinking about adding the QSDP to one room but not the other. If she adds it to one room (with 1 adult and 2 children-ages 9 & 7), can the children order off the regular menu if they like, or are they forced to order off the kid's menu? I've read there is no distinction in the QS credits but I've also read the opposite.

Thanks, friend!! So, that thread got closed and the mod said most of the info was no longer valid. I assume though since the postings in 2017 referenced kids being able to order from either menu, then that is still valid?

We just went in August. Yes, kids have to order from the kids menu. You can trade 1 QS meal for 3 snacks at the resort or at certain park locations. You can skip the drink with your meal and substitute a dessert or other snack instead when eating at the resort.

We have always been able to order off the adult menu with the QS credits. We just went in January and July and had no problems.

Now the regular DDP table service credits for kids have to be used on kids meals.

Techincally kids are supposed to order off the kids menu, but the QS credits are not actually split by child/adult. They will be able to use the credits for the adult menu if they want.

It sounds like the answer is "she might, but she shouldn't plan on it". The T&C exclude her doing this, but the cashiers and registers still seem to permit it. Disney could change that any day to match their T&C, so if she is relying on doing this, I wouldn't tell her she can...but if she isn't, I would tell her she might be able to...

It sounds like she wants to order 3 adults meals to split with her party every time for the cost of 1 adult and 2 kids on the qsdp...she might find a better strategy in ordering room food, eating breakfast there, and bringing lunches, so she doesn't need to have the 2 meals, snack, and alcoholic beverages the qsdp plan provides...she could plan a nice qsdp in park every day for her party to get what they like and probably still be cheaper than the plan, even subverting the T&C...

Thanks, friend!! So, that thread got closed and the mod said most of the info was no longer valid. I assume though since the postings in 2017 referenced kids being able to order from either menu, then that is still valid?
Oh gosh sorry. I didn’t notice the dates, just the sticky. :)

If she is wanting to order 3 adult meals and split them with the group, that's more than likely not going to work out. She might want to rethink going with the dinning plan if this is her thought process for getting the QSDP. She would be better off to have breakfast in room, as well taking snacks, water into the park each day. Then paying out of pocket for QS meals ordering all adult meals to split might be a better way for her to budget.

There are a lot of options easily shareable from QS options. As well you might want to suggest TS that offer's the large appetizer platters that are a ton of food, For instance we love RainForest at AK for lunch its a nice break from the parks - We order the Awesome Appetizer Adventure it has Chimi Cha Chas, crab dip, cheese sticks and chicken fingers, 20.00, then we order the Beef Nachos which is huge, 18.00 and its more than enough food for 4 or 5 adults, We don't really like the chimi cha chas so we have been able to trade them for chicken finger or cheese sticks. We also have done the Appetizer platter 20.00 and a Cobb salad 18.00... or nachos and the Cobb salad... its alot of food. Plus its a fun experience

So, the other room is just her and their baby. I *think* her thinking is she's hoping the 9yo has the flexibility to order from either menu simply cause he may not like what is on kid's menu and then she would share with the 7yo, if he is able to get an adult meal. None of them are real big eaters. Period. She'd probably take in food for herself quite a bit also cause she has a lot of foods she cannot eat. We've never been on any of the DP's but I've been told by others that the QS credits are pooled so that is why I was asking.

I was hoping to do the same thing. My two littles ones are 6 and 8 and we have the DDP. When we dine out they share an adult meal. They don’t generally like the children’s options (chicken nuggets, burger, plain pasta, Mac and Cheese, etc). One kid’s meal would be fine, but not for a week . . . Crossing my fingers!

So, the other room is just her and their baby. I *think* her thinking is she's hoping the 9yo has the flexibility to order from either menu simply cause he may not like what is on kid's menu and then she would share with the 7yo, if he is able to get an adult meal. None of them are real big eaters. Period. She'd probably take in food for herself quite a bit also cause she has a lot of foods she cannot eat. We've never been on any of the DP's but I've been told by others that the QS credits are pooled so that is why I was asking.

If she's got a baby, and money is an object...she might be better off booking a value room for all 5 together (since the baby would not count against room limits)...she'd save the enormous cost of Disney hotel rooms that she could put towards food needed (and she'd have the savings to have them all have the QSDP if that was a must for her)...

So, the other room is just her and their baby. I *think* her thinking is she's hoping the 9yo has the flexibility to order from either menu simply cause he may not like what is on kid's menu and then she would share with the 7yo, if he is able to get an adult meal.
Honestly, the best thing would probably be to age up the nine year old (yes, paying a bit more for that ticket and dining plan.)

Someone can correct me, but I believe that the only way to get one DP room and one non-DP room is to have them on separate reservations? IIRC when we were planning our trip last year, rooms under the same reservation had to be either all-in on the DP or not on any plan. We opted for paying OOP for meals because we had one 10 year old who would ONLY touch kids meal stuff but would have been an "adult" on the DP so it was just easier to be able to order what we wanted with no restrictions. I set a budget, and used Disney GC to pay for our meals while we were there, and we ended up spending less than the increased cost of adding a DP would have been.

If she's got a baby, and money is an object...she might be better off booking a value room for all 5 together (since the baby would not count against room limits)...she'd save the enormous cost of Disney hotel rooms that she could put towards food needed (and she'd have the savings to have them all have the QSDP if that was a must for her)...

They want the space of two rooms since the baby naps and goes to bed so much earlier. I understand what you are saying though!

I was hoping to do the same thing. My two littles ones are 6 and 8 and we have the DDP. When we dine out they share an adult meal. They don’t generally like the children’s options (chicken nuggets, burger, plain pasta, Mac and Cheese, etc). One kid’s meal would be fine, but not for a week . . . Crossing my fingers!

We don't typically take the DP at Disney. Paying OOP has worked fine for us. None of my kids have ever been 'kid's meal' type kids so we just always had them share with one of us or order an adult entree and share that between two kids. We also mostly drink water so getting a kid's meal drink with every meal wasn't something we wanted/needed.

They want the space of two rooms since the baby naps and goes to bed so much earlier. I understand what you are saying though!

I take it offsite is out? A place like an Embassy Suites Downtown Disney would still have park shuttles and would offer breakfast and separate rooms (not sure if they get them to the airport and back, but they do get them to the parks and back)...even with the $20/night resort fee, it would probably be a much cheaper option than 2 value rooms, especially when you add in the free meal in the morning (and the evening reception for any adult that has to go back early with the baby:))...

I take it offsite is out? A place like an Embassy Suites Downtown Disney would still have park shuttles and would offer breakfast and separate rooms (not sure if they get them to the airport and back, but they do get them to the parks and back)...even with the $20/night resort fee, it would probably be a much cheaper option than 2 value rooms, especially when you add in the free meal in the morning (and the evening reception for any adult that has to go back early with the baby:))...

There is no Embassy Suites in "Downtown Disney" (Disney Springs).

There is a Doubletree Suites which gives two rooms and kitchenette, but rates do not include breakfast unless you get a special offer. There is no resort fee but there is a parking fee. They are part of the Disney Springs bus system. They do not have airport transportation.

I'm helping my neighbor plan a trip. They will need two value rooms. She is thinking about adding the QSDP to one room but not the other. If she adds it to one room (with 1 adult and 2 children-ages 9 & 7), can the children order off the regular menu if they like, or are they forced to order off the kid's menu? I've read there is no distinction in the QS credits but I've also read the opposite.

Honestly I would focus on best room options for them and just pay OOP for what they really want to eat. I worked really hard to make the QSDP a good deal but it overall was a loss of money because it forced us to eat in a way we wouldn't normally. With two rooms booked Disney WILL NOT guarantee they will be connecting so the family may get split up. I would look at the ASMu Suites (for the two rooms), use kitchenette for breakfast and snacks then just pay OOP for meals splitting how they want.

There is no Embassy Suites in "Downtown Disney" (Disney Springs).

There is a Doubletree Suites which gives two rooms and kitchenette, but rates do not include breakfast unless you get a special offer. There is no resort fee but there is a parking fee. They are part of the Disney Springs bus system. They do not have airport transportation.

Honestly I would focus on best room options for them and just pay OOP for what they really want to eat. I worked really hard to make the QSDP a good deal but it overall was a loss of money because it forced us to eat in a way we wouldn't normally. With two rooms booked Disney WILL NOT guarantee they will be connecting so the family may get split up. I would look at the ASMu Suites (for the two rooms), use kitchenette for breakfast and snacks then just pay OOP for meals splitting how they want.

This one is the one I'm thinking...https://embassysuites3.hilton.com/e...do-lake-buena-vista-resort-MCOWDES/index.html

But I'd also look at Drury's, Residence Inns, Homewoods, and any suite hotel with breakfast and shuttles...since money and space seem a concern for OP's friend...

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter