Purchasing on DCL and Grand Californian question

kalishea

Mouseketeer
We recently returned from our third Disney Cruise and our third time attending the DVC presentation. This time we actually met one on one with a DVC rep but still didn’t buy. I just started doing some research here but do have a couple questions that will hopefully be easily answered.
My first question is: is purchasing on DCL really any better of a deal or worth it? If we were going to buy, was the cruise where to do it or is that all for show? We did rebook, so I guess I’m possibly asking about this for our next cruise.
Second question really is about Home Resort: we really don’t want our Home Resort to be anywhere but Grand Californian but I know that’s not likely. We don’t plan on going to WDW much so we don’t wanna Home Resort there. They act like it doesn’t matter where your Home Resort is in the presentation but from what I’ve learned here, it is more important then they lead on.
Lastly, if we only go to Disneyland, is it worth it? Here’s a little back story to us.. we are a family of 5 that travel together- myself, my husband and my 8 year old son plus my Mom and Dad in their 60’s. We go on DCL cruises together every 1-2 years, and like to go to Disneyland at least once a year (never have stayed at a Grand Californian but would love to). We do travel to other locations, like Hawaii, but we have a condo available to us on Kauai so Aulani is out too.
Any help would be appreciated so I can report my findings back to my family.

Edited to add: should we try renting points to use and Grand Californian and try it?

Last edited:
Have you vacationed at WDW? You need to give it a try if you haven't. You also need to stay in a DVC unit prior to buying. Buying while on a cruise really makes no difference, take a look at how often you expect to stay, how long, the size of the unit, the cost, and compare total cost to what you spend now.

:earsboy: Bill

You are not going to get a deal for VGC on DCL, the deals are for the new selling resorts, and even then, they seem to be the same deals you get on land. They may throw in a few FPs, but if you are not going to WDW, they would not be useful.

Sure, try renting points to see how you like VGC! We have stayed once and really enjoyed it.

And buying any resort but VGC, you will not be able to book VGC regularly or reliably.

Time to learn about resale.

Buy resale at VGC! We are in the same boat-though we do like WDW and will continue to travel there, we are much more likely to go do DL regularly. Bought resale points there last year and have our first trip planned in June.

Thanks to everyone who replied. Sounds like we didn’t miss the boat (ha!) by not purchasing while on board, especially if CCV wouldn’t be a good fit for us. Maybe one of the future Disneyland hotels will be a DVC. ??

We actually just went to WDW for the first time a few weeks ago, pre-cruise. While we did enjoy it and would like to visit again someday, it just isn’t Disneyland. Disneyland feels like home. Location is a big factor too. We’re only an hour and a half flight to California and about a 4 hour flight to Florida. We can hop to California for a long weekend.

I’m really glad I asked some questions here as we were second guessing not purchasing. The salesman showed us the computer reservation program and dates available at VGC and it looked so easy and any dates available. Now I realize it was probably a sales tactic if availability is hard to come by there, especially a 2 bedroom unit.

So it is possible to purchase at VGC, just has to be through resale?

We are planning on visiting DL once or twice this year so maybe I will explore renting and trying for a 2 bedroom?

Thanks again!

Do you generally plan vacations out 7-11 months out in advance? For VGC you generally need to book with your home resort window. I would rent a unit in VGC before taking the plunge.

My family like WDL more than WDW as well. VGC is amazing and the convenience of being in DTD is great. However, Disneyland is surrounded by some really good hotels at good prices so not sure if you will find VGC worthwhile. I really like great wolf lodge, kids seem to like the pools on the off days.

Good luck, sounds like your trips are wonderful with or without DVC.

Resale is excellent. Don’t worry about the pressure tactics to buy direct. The excluded “perks” are largely cost ineffective.

Next, if you are set on buying direct, and if you ignore any pressures otherwise for a WDW site, there are some reports on these boards of folks eventually getting off a waiting list for such for VGC, but it took time, in some cases years. You’d need a rep to be on board and put you on such a list. Again resale, or even just renting, are good thoughts.

Cheers.

There are regulatory barriers to expanding DVC in Anaheim. So for the foreseeable future it is VGC or bust.

Next, if you are set on buying direct, and if you ignore any pressures otherwise for a WDW site, there are some reports on these boards of folks eventually getting off a waiting list for such for VGC, but it took time, in some cases years. You’d need a rep to be on board and put you on such a list. Again resale, or even just renting, are good thoughts.
We have been on the waitlist for VGC twice. First time, called our guide in July of last year for 25 points August UY; got them in mid-August. Second time, called in October and asked for 75 to 100 points; got them in January. They became available before the price increase but my guide was out of town so they honored the $185pp cost.
It's possible but I guess it all comes down to who is your guide.

There’s almost no reason for you to buy VGC direct. The only real member benefit that is worth much is the WDW AP discount, and that does you no good at DL. The DVC discount for DL is $20. Not worth buying direct for that small of a discount.

In short, but VGC via resale. You’ll save thousands vs buying direct.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter