pros and cons?

In 21 years of ownership, my annual fees have pretty much doubled. They continue to go up every year. If you have a US bank, you can have 1/12 of the annual fees deducted every month. It makes it a little easier to pay those fees and you don't notice the dues creeping up.

If you vacation by planning ahead, if you have reasonable expectations, and are a lover of Disney, DVC will work for you. As far as the pros and cons of buying direct or resale, save your money, no perk is worth the huge ticket price. The best bang for you buck are the DVC resorts, vacationing elsewhere/cruises can be had/negotiates much cheaper than going through RCI, Disney Concierge etc. As a resale owner I don’t feel any different than a direct purchaser, nor do I feel I’m treated differently. I resisted the urge to add on, and 19 years later it’s proven to be the right decision (weathers economic change, health issues). Today, DVC still works for us, usage has evolved as we’ve evolved. Savings, well those are harder to find, we go more often and our tastes are more expensive! We’ve traded buying kids toys at the end of each ride for California Grill and the like, Food and Wine, Flower & Garden. Through the luxury of DVC ownership (I have to have a 1 or 2bd, studios or hotel rooms don’t cut it anymore) we taught our young adults how to roll and it isn’t cheap. Best of luck with your decision.

Last edited:
As a resale owner I don’t feel any different than a direct purchaser, nor do I feel I’m treated differently. I resisted the urge to add on, and 19 years later it’s proven to be the right decision (weathers economic change, health issues).
19 years ago there was no difference between a resale owner and a direct owner. I would argue there was no substantive difference between resale and direct points two and a half years ago. Today there are clear differences between resale and direct owners, and by design, resale owners feel it.

19 years ago there was no difference between a resale owner and a direct owner. I would argue there was no substantive difference between resale and direct points two and a half years ago. Today there are clear differences between resale and direct owners, and by design, resale owners feel it.
I disagree, I’ve seen perks come and come. What, access to the DVC lounge, discounts, some/same can be had with the TIW card and AP’s, I would never buy direct, not back then, and certainly not now. But value in something is subjective and different for everybody.

I disagree, I’ve seen perks come and come. What, access to the DVC lounge, discounts, some/same can be had with the TIW card and AP’s, I would never buy direct, not back then, and certainly not now. But value in something is subjective and different for everybody.
It’s less the benefits themselves and more the fact that Disney is establishing a second tier of membership. It’s like the buses in my city. They’re nice. I rarely use them, but I would certainly feel less than if someone were to say I was not allowed to use them.

Individuals who dismiss an advantage or say they don’t care about being to partake of an advantage often are of the class that have the luxury of making that decision for themselves.

Cons: Never enough points or vacation days to use them some years
Considering a direct purchase now is out of the question due to cost
If you invite family once they will always accept the second time....I mean that lovingly...but it is true
Limited spontaneity ( due to planning farther out) but that is Disney in general these days
After a few years of ownership you slide into staying at the resort more and not caring about the parks as much...but to some that could be a pro...we are reaching that point.
Would like more towels in our room
Disney is your only go to vacation...we have traveled a lot and this may lock people in to Disney more than they ever thought
You will never ever want to stay at a value resort again...and I kinda miss that vibe...for the first ten minutes then I am done.

Pros: I know how to squeeze every point out of every year to get the most bang for my point.
You have to read, learn and understand the nuances, those that don't are apt to leave the value studio for me
We have the points we can afford and use some years
We can treat friends and family to a deluxe resort that they maybe would have never stayed at
Memories...relaxing memories that make Disney even more magical
Force you to plan and take vacations
Cool DVC magnet ( I am afraid to place on car because it might disappear
Meeting other members near and far on the DISboards that have the same or similar trips and love of Disney that you do...nice community
Ticket discounts in recent years
Years of fantastic, just what we needed, vacations

IMO both ways of looking at it are appropriate and the answer might be somewhere in between. Years ago there was zero difference in owning DVC whether it was retail vs resale for the same item. That is not true today. Whether the differences are important to a given person, important enough to pay retail or can be replaced in some other way (with cost) vary with the individual but technically they are different today and were not years ago. Whether they will remain so, no one knows. Likely there will continue to be differences as long as they agree doing any type of sales but the options will certainly change over time.

Individuals who dismiss an advantage or say they don’t care about being to partake of an advantage often are of the class that have the luxury of making that decision for themselves.
Well, not this individual. I was stating my opinion with regards to the OP’s questions, speaking for myself and to my experiences, not second guessing what someone else feels or doesn’t feel. And going into this purchase process, aware of what the perks are buying direct, contrary to buying resale is part of making an educated decision. I wouldn’t feel like a second class citizen having made the choice as to what is important to me. Furthermore, were I to buy in today or even just add on, it would still be a resale.

I was stating my opinion with regards to the OP’s questions, speaking for myself and to my experiences, not second guessing what someone else feels or doesn’t feel.
I’m not second guessing your feelings. I’m stating a fact that when you bought in 19 years ago, there was zero difference between resale and direct, so there was no difference to feel. The situation is markedly different today. It’s no longer a question of is it a different experience to be a direct vs. resale owner, it’s a question of is it worth it.
As a resale owner I don’t feel any different than a direct purchaser, nor do I feel I’m treated differently.
If you have ever attended a member’s event, gone to the members’ lounge at Epcot, bought something with your 20% merchandise discount, bought a DVC Gold AP (as a non-Florida resident), bought TIW at a DVC discount, then you’ve benefited from being a part of a privileged class, and to state that you don’t feel like you’re treated any differently is a bit of stating the obvious... because again, you are not any different.

I wouldn’t have a leg to stand on if your position was that you didn’t feel any differently and you purchased post April 4, 2016. How could I, or anyone, question that? But from someone who enjoys full benefits, and who have likely used those benefits, it’s a bit rich.

Just us - owners at BRV. 6 years, and we hit "break even" on our NOV2018 trip.

PRO...

1) Our nightly room cost is between $103 - $120 per night, based on initial investment, compared to uncertain "Deals" that are now about $420 per night. Over a six year period. We CHECK "Deals", so we that we may understand "true RACK". OUR cost is roughly 25% of the best "deal" WDW tends to offer.

2) DVC, as an organization, can actually be CONTACTED. NO BS - when contacted, they will arrange ME, Room Requests, AP's, just about ANYTHING. And you get a request confirmation number that will not die until you get a damn answer :). They perform BRILLIANTLY, and get EVERY job done.

CON

1) If you want to buy in? Have about $30-$40 THOUSAND in cash. Yup, that's your entry fee. DO NOT FINANCE. NO Bank will give you a loan. And DVC Finance fees are as bad, or worse than a Credit Card. DO NOT FINANCE, please?

2) You REALLY have to GO to WDW at LEAST once, every other year, using banking. Yup, You need to GO.

3) BUY where you want to STAY. Your HOME resort may be booked at 11 months. Everything else is "pot luck" at 7 months. DO NOT BUY SSR, thinking you can book other resorts. NOTHING is "sold out" - stick to your guns, and get the resort you WANT. If Disney wants the money? They will give you a CONTRACT. They always have "points available" from ROFR and foreclosures. THIS is how we got a BRV Contract in 2012. WDW complained, we insisted, it took them 7 days.

All personal opinion - I'm not necessarily right, no one else is necessarily wrong.

But from someone who enjoys full benefits, and who have likely used those benefits, it’s a bit rich.
Ahh, here we go, on these threads, always have to be one or two posters who go and make it a personal attack, feel better attacking my character. Sorry can’t find a clapping hands smily!

Last edited:
Ahh, here we go, on these threads, always has to be one or two posters who has to go and make it a personal, attack, feel better attacking my character, let me :worship: Sorry couldn’t find a clapping hands smily!
I wasn’t trying to attack your character. I was disputing the position you were taking. If the language I used made you feel otherwise, I really am sorry.

I wasn’t trying to attack your character. I was disputing the position you were taking
I wasn’t trying to attack your character. I was disputing the position you were taking. If the language I used made you feel otherwise, I really am sorry.
Thank you, I’m sure we can agree to having different points of view, each having had different DVC experiences and take a lesson from Dean Marino, neither being right or wrong!

If you are in a studio and you want more towels, you can purchase a towel pack from Housekeeping for $6 (in a one bedroom or larger, you can just launder them in the washer in your villa). It consists of four bath towel, two hand towels, four face cloths and one tub mat. You can't just rob the housekeeper's cart or take them from the pool. Same with extra supplies in the room, you can purchase them from Housekeeping. Some are no extra cost, like paper towels, toilet paper, dishwasher detergent, dish detergent.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!