President's Day Week - Go for it or pass.....?

AshleyL7

Earning My Ears
Getting an early start for trip planning next year, and am deciding between Universal or Atlantis. I am leaning towards Universal but we are limited to the week of February 16th-23rd. Based on the crowd calendar this will be a busy week and we have only ever been there in October or May when the crowds were virtually non-existent. Express pass is not an option, but we will get the 5 day pass so can push some days to mid week, like wed-thursday.

How bad can I expect the crowds and waits to be - is it still worth it without EP?

A trip to Universal is always a great idea!

You have a lot of park days which is good. Get there early- follow the phone app for wait times. Use single rider lines if you are ok with that- that will cut down on wait times as well. We also find that lines diminish near park close so that's a good time to do the Harry Potter attractions.

Hi I agree with pp that any trip to Universal is always a great idea:thumbsup2

Five days is a good amount of time to see and do what you want. Yes it will be busy and if you don't mind waiting in some longer lines than I think it is great. There is so much to do and I think you will be okay.

Just a side note I have never been to Atlantis but have family that has. They said it can be a very expensive trip and it is a totally different one from Universal.

Hi I agree with pp that any trip to Universal is always a great idea:thumbsup2

Five days is a good amount of time to see and do what you want. Yes it will be busy and if you don't mind waiting in some longer lines than I think it is great. There is so much to do and I think you will be okay.

Just a side note I have never been to Atlantis but have family that has. They said it can be a very expensive trip and it is a totally different one from Universal.

Thanks for the feedback! Yes the price is part of my hesitation with Atlantis - we have free accommodation through points either way, but the flights are more expensive and the food on the resort looks outrageous. We could eat for three days at Universal for the price of one day at Atlantis, but we also wouldn't have ticket costs. Might do a few nights in Clearwater at the end to get the best of both worlds.

My only experience was the weeks around President's day this year. The week before was busier than Pres day itself. Particularly the Mon before. Like you, I had 5 days (off-site) and was able to do everything, most multiple times (many times for the favorites). It was really fun and great weather. Only one rainy day. Lots of teenage South American tour groups.

We did lots of single rider lines during the middle of the day, plus shows at that time. Busy rides right after park openings.

The hours are relatively short - 9am until 6-8pm, 9pm Pres day. So we did all day in the parks with sit down lunches & dinners (after park close) & days at Sea World for breaks. They have Mardi Gras parades at US nightly and concerts on weekends; concert days are blocked out of US with the Seasonal pass.

Thanks for the feedback! Yes the price is part of my hesitation with Atlantis - we have free accommodation through points either way, but the flights are more expensive and the food on the resort looks outrageous. We could eat for three days at Universal for the price of one day at Atlantis, but we also wouldn't have ticket costs. Might do a few nights in Clearwater at the end to get the best of both worlds.
I've done many vacations at both Universal and Atlantis. I want to comment on the cost thing.

First, remember that your room at Atlantis includes access to Atlantis amenities (Aquaventure, aquariums, etc.). At Universal, you're facing around $100 more per person per day for park tickets after you pay for a room.

Second, breakfast and lunch at Atlantis is quite comparable cost-wise. But you have to compare apples-to-apples. Several of Atlantis lobby bar area covert to continental breakfast bar in the morning, with prices quite comparable to a counter service place at Disney or Universal. Atlantis has several large buffets that are a little on the expensive side, but are cheaper than Disney's full breakfast buffets (since pretty much every Disney breakfast buffet is a character meal).

Lunch at Atlantis is probably cheaper than at Disney or Universal. Here's a menu board from a typical pool-are counter service venue (note the value meals that are $9 - $14):

4205f9524bf72589b77e6b05f4dc90f9-jpg.323121

Dinner is where some people are surprised at Atlantis prices. This is probably because the mix of casual versus fine dining venues is weighted toward fine. and there aren't any counter-service dinner places, other than the pizzeria.

But there are a good number of casual places that are moderate cost. Here's a menu with prices from Margaritaville, which is a 3 minute walk from the Marina Village at Atlantis:

mville.JPG

The prices here are quite comparable to several of Atlantis' casual sit down venues, like The Point, Murray's' and Frankie Gone Bananas.

The bottom line is Atlantis isn't necessarily more expensive than a Disney or Universal trip....it really depends on how you vacation at each place.

I have an older thread about how to do Atlantis for less.

Last edited:
We have also done Atlantis twice and this will be our 2nd Universal trip. I can say for Atlantis just check the temps in Nassau for Feb. Its not cold obviously, but it may not be as hot as you want. I agree with the statement while Atlantis is expensive, once you book your room, use of the facility is included.

Both are obviously SUPER fun and very different vacations. But, you will have fun no matter what with either one!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!