Pregnant @ Disney World

HMG1984

Earning My Ears
Hello friends! My husband and I just found out we are expecting baby #2! I will be about 17 weeks when we go to Disney in February. Are there any rides that I can't or shouldn't ride at the various parks (aside from the obvious roller coasters)? I poked around the WDW website and I didn't see anything about it (though it's totally possible I overlooked it).

This is one of those "whatever you're comfortable with", the safari is usually contraindicated, and personally i don't think i could have tolerated the tea cups or dumbo or anything beyond it's a small world.

I was my own personal vomit comet though...

Five years ago my wife was 23/24 weeks with twins on our last visit. There were certainly several rides that specifically stated not for pregnant woman, but many that it was up to your discretion. We did every show possible and she was a trooper about people watching while my 5 yr at the time and I rode rides. She avoided anything with big drops, but I believe still did PC and similar.

I'm not sure how old child #1 is, but if they're young, you can generally go on whatever they can go on! I went for my first time ever when I was about 7.5 months pregnant. I avoided roller coasters, and anything really bumpy. I did do Kilimanjaro safari and I felt like that was ok (as did my SIL when she was pregnant this past year).

So I just went to Disneyland pregnant and I was surprised how much I couldn't go on. Anything that shakes your or throws you around isn't good and nothing fast. I once heard someone say go on anything a 1 year old can go on. So I was stuck with a lot of kiddie rides. I won't lie, it kind of sucked lol. But at least I'll be able to go on the fun rides next time!

This is one of those "whatever you're comfortable with", the safari is usually contraindicated, and personally i don't think i could have tolerated the tea cups or dumbo or anything beyond it's a small world.

I was my own personal vomit comet though...

Hah, I'm right there with you, pp. I remember at 17 weeks in each of my pregnancies having to break up my commute on the subway by getting off the train every 3 or 4 stops to go throw up. The idea of voluntarily subjecting myself to rides that include any form of motion before 20 weeks is bonkers to me. Here's hoping OP has a less vomit-y pregnancy!

As for what ride Disney specifically advises pregnant women from riding (per the safety signs displayed outside the ride entrance), this is the list I found outline. It all makes total sense: basically, anything very fast or bumpy.

MK:
  • Splash mountain
  • Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
  • Space Mountain
  • The Barnstormer
  • Seven Dwarfs Mine Train
  • Tomorrowland Speedway
Animal Kingdom:
  • Flight of Passage
  • Expedition Everest
  • Dinosaur
  • Kilimanjaro Safaris
  • Primeval Whirl
Hollywood Studios:
  • Tower of Terror
  • Rock n Roller Coaster
  • Slinky Dog Dash
  • Star Tours
Epcot:
  • Test Track
  • Mission Space

We went to the parks when I was 17 weeks pregnant with #2 and I didn't really ride anything. I did go on a ride at MK (can't remember name) and then was worried the whole time so it wasn't worth it for me. I walked around all day with my DH and other child and just enjoyed the sites and seeing my child's happy face. It wasn't worth the risk for me bc I couldn't forgive myself if something happened, a bump or jolt can do nothing or something, you never know.

Thanks to everyone! Child #1 will be 4 when we go, so we wouldn't be going on a lot of crazy bumpy rides anyway, but definitely want to experience some WDW staples with our daughter (Dumbo, Peter Pan, etc), and some I know she will be excited about (Frozen).

Thanks to everyone! Child #1 will be 4 when we go, so we wouldn't be going on a lot of crazy bumpy rides anyway, but definitely want to experience some WDW staples with our daughter (Dumbo, Peter Pan, etc), and some I know she will be excited about (Frozen).

That drop in Frozen Ever After is one of those where I think it's at your discretion. I wouldn't do it, but again, I was a vomit comet.

That drop in Frozen Ever After is one of those where I think it's at your discretion. I wouldn't do it, but again, I was a vomit comet.

In case OP hasn't ridden it before and doesn't know what it's like, the Frozen drop is pretty similar to the drop in Pirates of the Caribbean.

I have been to WDW twice pregnant, once similar to you 20 weeks with a DD age 3.5 (this past March), and once 8/9 weeks prego. Both times I spoke to my doctor before going and followed the above list at a minimum of what not to go on. I rode everything else, I skipped things that I would have wanted to go on that DD had no interest in or was to short for, example Sorian. It was fine when she went on mine train for example
I got a coffee or water and took a break.

The only ride she did with out me was the safari. My family tried to get me to go on, I skipped and when they got off the agreed it was probably better I skipped.

I will say I’m one of the crazy people who loves being pregnant so I used it as and excuse to eat everything!

Happy to share any other experiences or answer any questions if you want let me know!

I went when I was 8 months pregnant and I could ride anything my 2 yr old could ride also. Someone listed above several rides that weren't recomended but I rode some on that list such as Kilimanjaro Safari and Tomorrowland speedway. I think you just need to use your discretion and decide what makes you comfortable!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter