Pre-Trip Report: Two Best Friends Go To Disneyland!

Larissa

Mouseketeer
SO...This is my first pre-trip report. :cool1:I'm leaving for Disneyland next Friday morning for a short trip (leaving Monday afternoon) with my best friend; I can barely contain my excitement. :cheer2:We are both in university and do not have classes Friday, and Monday is Family Day in British Columbia so we're off then too. We actually have that whole week off as Reading Break but unfortunately I am getting my wisdom teeth pulled out on Tuesday morning. :sick:
At any rate, here it goes:

:tinker:THE SPONTANEOUS DECISION AND SUBSEQUENT PLANS
I was busy being miserable on Christmas morning because our PVR had failed to record the Disneyland Christmas Parade and we missed it. In the midst of my sulking, I got a text from my friend, saying that we should go to Disneyland this year because it is the 60th anniversary (our families went together on the 50th, so even though we won't be there for the actual anniversary festivities, it will be a personal anniversary of sorts). At first I thought she was joking, so I jokingly agreed, but soon enough we were actually discussing a trip. I mentioned it in passing to my parents and my mom found a Priceline deal the next day; return flights through WestJet and Alaska Air plus three nights at the Tropicana Inn just across the street for $593.24 USD/person. We booked it immediately (this was extremely exciting because we are really not very spontaneous people and that's a sizable chunk of cash for two university students working part time). With conversion and credit card fees it came to about $700 CAN. The one thing we haven't booked yet is transport, but we think we will go with the Disneyland Express. I've seen some bad things online about them, but I've used them before and never had an issue so...it seems like we'll gamble.:confused3

We bought our tickets through the Entertainment Book website, where we got four days in the park (non-hopper) for $225, a dollar less than three days through the Disneyland website. We'll actually only be there half a day on Friday and half a day on Monday. Right now our plan is to go to Disneyland on Friday because it is open later, Disney California Adventure and Downtown Disney on Saturday, Disneyland on Sunday, and then back to Disney California Adventure for our last morning.

We really want to do Cars Land, because my friend has never seen it before, and I really want to make sure she also goes on Toy Story Mania because she hasn't seen that either. And I need a churro. And definitely a Winnie-the-Pooh caramel apple. And possibly a Dole Whip? I've never had one.
Other than that, we're happy with whatever we get done.

FOOD
In order to save money, we decided to eat park food only for dinner. We ordered lunch and breakfast food through Vons to be delivered to our hotel (fingers crossed it gets there on time and in good order). It was a bit of a challenge because it required a zip code which, as Canadians, we don't have. I did some googling and found a Globe and Mail article that suggested putting in the numbers from my postal code and two zeroes – that worked. Vons offers free delivery for your first order (I think the promo code is EASY7 and I don't think it changes) and they also send you ‘customized; coupons. The ones they sent me first were for free water and paper towels. The second set, sent after the first expired but before we'd placed our order, included a $5 off coupon; we used that. My friend and I both created accounts and we got different coupons, so we just used the best ones. Bear in mind that they only deliver orders over $49 (but if they run out of something you ordered before it is delivered and your order dips below $49 they still deliver, which they also do if your post-coupon amount is below $49).
We ordered bottled water (which I normally don’t drink, but I didn't want to pack a big heavy bottle), sandwich fixings, granola bars, muffins, a carton of milk, oranges, apples, baby carrots, some small yogurts, chips, cookies, pretzels, and some disposable plates and cutlery. It came to $44 USD with the coupon, which brings us to under $4/meal.
I also went online and found a couple coupons for the Downtown Disney area, where we plan to spend some time after our full day in California Adventure since it closes so early (10pm). I got a BOGO Wetzel's pretzel, a BOGO Wetzel's pretzel bites, and $5 off $20 or more at the Rainforest Cafe through the Entertainment book website. I also got a $5 off or a free appetizer with purchase of an adult meal at the Rainforest Cafe and 10% off at La Brea Bakery from the Anaheim Orange County Visitor and Convention Bureau. Last but not least, I signed up for the Sandwich Club on the Earl of Sandwich website and got a free sandwich (no minimum purchase required). I signed up on the 26th of January and got the email the next morning with a coupon that expires on February 27th.

SOUVENIR PLANS
I am notoriously bad at overspending at Disney. My whole family is, actually, save for my sister. It's awful. When we went on a Disney Cruise, the people behind the counter learnt all our names pretty quickly. There are only two stores on the boat, too, so it was really quite ridiculous. Anyway, for this trip I am very consciously trying to cut down substantially on what I buy. Im definitely going to buy:
-some pressed pennies (preferably a 2015 dated one and a Frozen or Brave one)
-a 2015 pin to add to my new pin-canvas, the only thing I ever copied successfully off pinterest
-some postcards (some to send, at least one to keep)

I might also buy:
-a watch (even though the straps on my Disney watches always break and they're too cheap to bother replacing the straps for)
-a small Frozen, Mulan, Pocahantas, or Brave snow globe for my collection IF, and this is a big if that I think is really a no, I can get it back in my carry-on. The TSA website says it's ok if it's smaller than a tennis ball and can fit in that one-quart bag with your other liquids. I'll ask at the airport maybe on my way there though, just to clarify that it's ok wrapped up).
-some sort of book about Disneyland, if it's light enough and not too expensive. If it's not a Disneyland-exclusive item I might hold out and see if I can get it online. Shipping to Canada can be a real pain, though.

I'm also going to bring a few extra pins to trade if I've got time. They're duplicates from a bin of mystery pins you could buy for $2 with a minimum $40 purchase from the aforementioned cruise.
20150128_165433_zpsom5abnzo.jpg

20150128_165433_zpsom5abnzo.jpg

I'm really going to try to remind myself that everything else just gets thrown in containers in the closet and under my bed anyway, and that I'll be making a photobook to capture my memories as is. Plus I will be bringing my journal and possibly taking it into the park with me. I'm going to try (TRY being the operative word here) to spend under $100 on souvenirs.

My mom and aunt really only buy themselves clothes on Disney vacations, and they don't want anything they haven't tried on, so I'll probably get something small for them. I’ll have to find something for my sister too, who hates every item of clothing I chose for her (yet is always raiding my closet) and abhors anything that can be called clutter. My uncle is a MAJOR vinylmation fan, so I'll have to pick up some of those for him (he gave me a prioritized list with pictures and a wad of cash) & I already promised to bring back two as his birthday present. My dad said he wanted a 2015 pin, but not he's wavering about whether he wants a pin from a year he wasn't there. He'll want something though, for sure. I'll probably grab some little trinket for two of my other Disney-loving girlfriends, but my boyfriend is not a Disney fan at ALL. He is, however, a comic book guy, so I went to Chapters and bought an Avenger’s comic. I have very carefully packaged it between two perfectly-cut sheets of cardboard, slid it into a custom-cut envelope, and sealed it in two plastic bags because he is weird about his comic books. I am hoping to get Captain America and Thor to sign it. The guy at Chapters gave me a gift receipt and told me if I didn't get it signed but brought it back in store-like condition, I could get a refund.
20150128_160031_zpsn062ojio_1.jpg

This sucker is so well packaged that if the plane crashes it'll probably come out better than me.

SO NOW...I wait.:rolleyes1 Yesterday I downloaded some songs from the Walt Disney World Marching Band Sountrack off itunes so I can set my alarm to the songs from my old 'Day at Disneyland' VHS tapes. And I keep checking my mailbox for the planning DVD, because I really wanted to watch it with my friend before we go. I don't think it's going to make it.

Last edited:
UPDATE: our groceries arrived on time and in good order. Came to $47 with our $5 off discount code for three breakfasts and three lunches plus snacks. The only thing I would have done differently was order more water. I might have also ordered more snacks and scratched the sandwiches. That PB&J mix may be cheap, but it's gross. We never really stopped and ate 'lunch' anyway, we just snacked throughout the day.
The shuttle was fine, arrived on time - no complaints.
The hotel, The Tropicana, was GREAT. I've been recommending it to everyone.
I did get my churros (bites, from Cozy Cone), and I did get my Dole Whip (a float, and I prefer my ice cream chocolate). No caramel apple, though, I just couldn't stomach the prices - especially with the Canadian dollar at like 87cents.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter