Pre-Trip report: Honeymooning in Europe

FSU Girl

DIS Veteran
Hi Everyone :wave:

This is my first pre-trip report. I've written two cruise trip reports, there are links to them in my signature.

Background information:
I've sailed on two Disney cruises. My first was Christmas 2016 with my then boyfriend. My second was December 2017 on the Dream where he proposed and became my Fiance :love: We are getting married at Disney World in November and have three honeymoon trips planned. A mini-mini moon where we are going to Disney for NYE. Then a mini-moon doing a week on the Fantasy in January in concierge (I will probably do a trip report for this cruise as well) And then finally the big honeymoon, two weeks in Europe.

This cruise has changed a bit since we first decided to do a honeymoon cruise in Europe. The main reason we have two honeymoon cruises is our real desire was to go to Europe, but no one sails in Europe during the winter. The only summer months that worked for us were August or September, so it's almost a year after we have been married so we decided to add the week cruise in January to get more of a honeymoon right after the wedding feel.

We originally booked a Celebrity cruise that was two weeks long, but I was nervous about the ship, I've never sailed with them before. So we decided to cancel and we booked a Disney cruise instead. But we had picked a cruise that fell within the dates we had originally had off, but I wasn't loving the itinerary. So we ended up switching our cruise to one I actually liked.

upload_2018-7-20_14-49-23.png

We are going to sail on the British Isles week long cruise on September 8, 2019

upload_2018-7-20_14-51-21.png

Here is the itinerary for the cruise.

When we were trying to decide on where to cruise we wanted to pick somewhere neither of us had been. All of these ports take us somewhere new. We will probably do a cruise excursion at each port. I like having the security that the boat won't leave you if you're late.

Even though we are only doing a week long cruise we are still planning on spending two weeks in Europe. This plan might change since it's still pretty far out and we can't book anything yet. But here's what we've come up with so far:

• Friday August 30th - After work fly direct to Paris
  • Saturday August 31st - Land in the morning, hopefully will have slept on the plane to not have jet lag. We still need to decide on what hotel to stay at, will check in and explore the city.
  • Sunday September 1st - Go to Versailles
  • Monday September 2nd - Go to Louvre, Notre Dame and Eiffel Tower. This might be too much for one day. We want to have dinner in the Eiffel Tower.
  • Tuesday September 3rd - Take a very early morning train to Bruges, Belgium. We've watched the movie In Bruges together and have always wanted to visit it. The train is 2 1/2 hours so not too bad of travel time. They have return trains late at night so we can spend the whole day.
  • Wednesday September 4th - Take the train to Amsterdam. It's a 3 hour train ride, so we might spend the night in the city and return to Paris in the morning, or take a very late train back. My Fiance's family is from there and he has always wanted to show me the city.
  • Thursday September 5th - Spend time around Paris seeing whatever we haven't had a chance to yet or revisit something we liked.
  • Friday September 6th - Take the high speed train from Paris to London. Check into hotel (still undetermined) and explore the city.
  • Saturday September 7th - Go to the Tower of London. I would like to go to the Harry Potter museum thing (not sure what it's called with all the sets). I have to do more research into this to see if we can fit it in somewhere. Potentially leave Paris a day earlier so we can do this.
  • Sunday September 8th- Take the train to Dover to board the Disney Magic.
This is our European Honeymoon plan. I will update as our plans come together. I'm really excited for the trip and it's so far away so this will help pass the time. Maybe I'll throw some Disney wedding pictures in :)

Here are some of the cruise excursions that seem interesting. Not all the ports have excursions view-able already, I think because the port hasn't been visited before?

Dublin Ireland:
  • A Summer Drive Through Ireland’s Countryside – Adult Only Departure (DB22)
  • upload_2018-7-20_15-36-45.png
  • This excursion says it's 7.5 to 8 hours so pretty much would take up the whole day
  • Dublin City Highlights – Adult Only Departure (DB24)
  • upload_2018-7-20_15-48-26.png
  • This is 4 to 4.5 hours, so we would have time to spend on our own in the city for half of the day.

• Dublin’s North Coast and Malahide Castle (DB09)
  • upload_2018-7-20_15-50-31.png
  • This is also half a day so we could spend time in Dublin to explore.

• Uncovering Ireland’s Past (DB20)
  • upload_2018-7-20_15-53-16.png
  • This is a 8 hour experience so we wouldn't have time to do anything else. I love history so this seems pretty interesting.
Greenock, Scotland:
  • Bannockburn and Stirling: The Story of Robert the Bruce (GR12)
  • upload_2018-7-20_15-56-1.png
  • upload_2018-7-20_15-56-20.png
  • This is another excursion that seems to be steeped in history which I love. It's a full day excursion at 8 to 8.5 hours.

• Edinburgh Castle and Holyrood Palace – Adult Only Departure (GR43)
  • upload_2018-7-20_15-57-53.png
  • This excursion is even longer at 9.5 to 10 hours. It seems this port is pretty far from everything so travel time cuts into a lot. It's hard to decide what to do since we've never been to Scotland and want to see so much.

• Glasgow City and Kelvingrove Gallery – Adult Only Departure (GR42)
  • upload_2018-7-20_15-59-27.png
  • This is only 4 hours so we could potentially do something else, although I'm not sure what is near the port.

• Inveraray Castle and Loch Lomond (GR08)
  • upload_2018-7-20_16-0-48.png
  • This is a full day tour of 8.5 to 9 hours. I've heard this is a really beautiful area to visit.

• Stirling Castle (GR34)
  • upload_2018-7-20_16-2-5.png
  • This is also a 4.5 tour. I wonder if I could combine two 4.5 hour tours and do both in one day?

Hit my picture limit.

Belfast doesn't have any excursions posted, but I've heard they do Game of Throne tours, which I think we'd really enjoy or go to Titanic exhibit. One of my bridesmaids is from Belfast so I've been asking her for some tips.

Liverpool, England:
  • We aren't Beatles fans and the city of Liverpool doesn't interest me much. They do have excursions that go down to Wales, which I think we'd end up doing.
  • North Wales and Conwy Castle (LP06)
  • upload_2018-7-20_16-5-31.png
  • This is a 8 hour excursion

• The World of Beatrix Potter and Lake Windermere Exclusive Youth Activity (LP12)
  • upload_2018-7-20_16-6-45.png
  • upload_2018-7-20_16-7-3.png
  • This is a 7.5 to 8 hour excursion. I used to love the story of Peter Rabbit when I was little and recently saw the movie. I'm not sure if this would be too child centric of an excursion though, so we might not do this.

• A Taste of Chester (LP05)
  • upload_2018-7-20_16-9-3.png
  • This probably would only be picked if other excursions sell out before we can get to them.

The port of Dover doesn't have any excursions listed, but I'm hoping they offer something to do on the way back to the airport. We will be flying home that day and returning to work the very next day.

It looks like an amazing trip.
You should consider staying overnight in brugges or amsterdam. Both city are pretty close, your going to spend a lot of time in train. You can take the eurostar to london from brussels in Belgium, near Brugges

It looks like an amazing trip.
You should consider staying overnight in brugges or amsterdam. Both city are pretty close, your going to spend a lot of time in train. You can take the eurostar to london from brussels in Belgium, near Brugges
The reason we were thinking of just going to those cities for the day was to avoid having to lug huge luggage around. I didn’t know you could take a train from Bruges to London, that could be a possibility to cut down on travel time

I also hate dragging luggage evrywhere, however, it is alot of travel in 3 days ....
You could travel from Paris to Brussel and do your day trip there. There is no direct train from Paris to bruges, you will need to change train anyway in Brussels.
. if you go from Paris to bruges, Amsterdam or London, the first half of the train trvael is basically the same

I also hate dragging luggage evrywhere, however, it is alot of travel in 3 days ....
You could travel from Paris to Brussel and do your day trip there. There is no direct train from Paris to bruges, you will need to change train anyway in Brussels.
. if you go from Paris to bruges, Amsterdam or London, the first half of the train trvael is basically the same
It is a lot of travel time. I'm just trying to figure out the easiest way to get these cities in. The train times I was looking at were really early in the morning and really late at night so it would give us a full day in each city. Maybe we'll take one out to cut down on the travel time, which would probably be Bruges since he really wants to go to Amsterdam. I had looked at flights into Amsterdam, but there aren't any direct and it would add a lot of additional travel time to get there.

For Scotland, I would recommend the longer trips. It really is beautiful (slightly bias as I am from there). I now live in Australia and every time I go home, I forget how lovely it is.
I went to the University of Stirling and it is a great place. It is a small city but as you said, steeped in history. Edinburgh is one of my favourite cities in the world so that would be my personal pick. I do not think you could go wrong with any of the excursions currently listed.

For Scotland, I would recommend the longer trips. It really is beautiful (slightly bias as I am from there). I now live in Australia and every time I go home, I forget how lovely it is.
I went to the University of Stirling and it is a great place. It is a small city but as you said, steeped in history. Edinburgh is one of my favourite cities in the world so that would be my personal pick. I do not think you could go wrong with any of the excursions currently listed.
I do like the long excursions. When I did the Mediterranean cruise all my excursions were 10 hours long. Wow Australia is so far from Scotland that must have been quite the move. I am really excited to finally get to Scotland. I watch the show Outlander that takes place there and the country seems so beautiful. I wish I had more time to do everything. It's going to be so hard picking just one thing to do. :)

Here are some of the cruise excursions that seem interesting. Not all the ports have excursions view-able already, I think because the port hasn't been visited before?

Dublin Ireland:
  • A Summer Drive Through Ireland’s Countryside – Adult Only Departure (DB22)
  • View attachment 338174
  • This excursion says it's 7.5 to 8 hours so pretty much would take up the whole day
  • Dublin City Highlights – Adult Only Departure (DB24)
  • View attachment 338177
  • This is 4 to 4.5 hours, so we would have time to spend on our own in the city for half of the day.
  • Dublin’s North Coast and Malahide Castle (DB09)
  • View attachment 338179
  • This is also half a day so we could spend time in Dublin to explore.
  • Uncovering Ireland’s Past (DB20)
  • View attachment 338181
  • This is a 8 hour experience so we wouldn't have time to do anything else. I love history so this seems pretty interesting.
Greenock, Scotland:
  • Bannockburn and Stirling: The Story of Robert the Bruce (GR12)
  • View attachment 338182
  • View attachment 338183
  • This is another excursion that seems to be steeped in history which I love. It's a full day excursion at 8 to 8.5 hours.
  • Edinburgh Castle and Holyrood Palace – Adult Only Departure (GR43)
  • View attachment 338184
  • This excursion is even longer at 9.5 to 10 hours. It seems this port is pretty far from everything so travel time cuts into a lot. It's hard to decide what to do since we've never been to Scotland and want to see so much.

• Glasgow City and Kelvingrove Gallery – Adult Only Departure (GR42)
  • View attachment 338185
  • This is only 4 hours so we could potentially do something else, although I'm not sure what is near the port.

• Inveraray Castle and Loch Lomond (GR08)
  • View attachment 338186
  • This is a full day tour of 8.5 to 9 hours. I've heard this is a really beautiful area to visit.

• Stirling Castle (GR34)
  • View attachment 338187
  • This is also a 4.5 tour. I wonder if I could combine two 4.5 hour tours and do both in one day?
tagging along. my family is hoping to take this cruise in 2020 if it is offered. excited to see your plan!!

I do like the long excursions. When I did the Mediterranean cruise all my excursions were 10 hours long. Wow Australia is so far from Scotland that must have been quite the move. I am really excited to finally get to Scotland. I watch the show Outlander that takes place there and the country seems so beautiful. I wish I had more time to do everything. It's going to be so hard picking just one thing to do. :)
This is a full day tour of 8.5 to 9 hours. I've heard this is a really beautiful area to visit.

I recently returned from a trip to Scotland and my personal recommendation would be for the visit to the area around Loch Lomond. It's absolutely stunning and Glencoe was my favorite part of the entire trip. It's less history and more beautiful nature, but there's also less time taken up by just driving.

Edinburgh is fantastic, as well. If you don't mind spending 4 hours of the excursion driving then I think that would be an excellent choice. While most of the Outlander scenes were filmed slightly outside of Edinburgh, you will pass right by the close where they filmed the entrance to Jamie's print shop in season 3 on your way from Edinburgh Castle to Holyrood :)

Thought I will just add to all the advice about the Scotland excursions. The route between Greenock and Edinburgh can be heavy with traffic, which could be an issue whereas you are on the right side of Glasgow for any trips going north, for example Loch Lomond and Inverary. I was in Edinburgh last weekend and it was heaving with people (even at this time of year) so that could be a consideration too. Edinburgh is one of the most beautiful cities in the world but if you want to see the Scotland featured in Outlander I would go north towards the Highlands. The drive up goes past plenty lochs and mountains. Inverary is in a beautiful setting and the castle will give you the dose of clan history you need. FYI Greenock is an industrial port town and doesn't really have a lot going for it. Best to do a full day tour.

following, I live in Dublin. I have also lived in Edinburgh and London and I have visited Belfast twice, Paris city and various parts of France and been to Disneyland Paris 3 times. Any help you need let me know :)

So our plans changed. We moved our trip up to May to go over my 30th birthday so we didn't have two big trips in one year. Thank you all for your amazing advice! I wish I could still do the Disney cruise, but they aren't sailing there in May. We have a Princess cruise booked for the British Isles. Any advice for these ports would be welcome :) I'm hoping in the future we can do a Disney Europe cruise, possibly with a baby.

upload_2018-11-6_13-21-37.png

So our plans changed. We moved our trip up to May to go over my 30th birthday so we didn't have two big trips in one year. Thank you all for your amazing advice! I wish I could still do the Disney cruise, but they aren't sailing there in May. We have a Princess cruise booked for the British Isles. Any advice for these ports would be welcome :) I'm hoping in the future we can do a Disney Europe cruise, possibly with a baby.

View attachment 363587
Wow this cruise looks amazing!! I'm assuming you have one day at each of the ports?

My recommendation for the Greenock port still stands (do something around Loch Lomond/Luss Village). For Edinburgh I would definitely recommend some sort of tour of the town that includes the castle. The history there is incredible and I absolutely love the city. Inverness is close to Loch Ness so you could visit there, or the Culloden Battlefield. Culloden is a very moving experience, especially if you know anything of the history of the battle.

Wow this cruise looks amazing!! I'm assuming you have one day at each of the ports?

My recommendation for the Greenock port still stands (do something around Loch Lomond/Luss Village). For Edinburgh I would definitely recommend some sort of tour of the town that includes the castle. The history there is incredible and I absolutely love the city. Inverness is close to Loch Ness so you could visit there, or the Culloden Battlefield. Culloden is a very moving experience, especially if you know anything of the history of the battle.
Yes, no overnights on this cruise. It does get me to more of the British Isles so I love that, wish it was a Disney ship instead lol. I do know about Culloden from Outlander, love the show and books and it definitely gave me a history lesson on Scotland that I never knew before. Loch Lomond looks so beautiful in pictures I definitely want to go there.

Yes, no overnights on this cruise. It does get me to more of the British Isles so I love that, wish it was a Disney ship instead lol. I do know about Culloden from Outlander, love the show and books and it definitely gave me a history lesson on Scotland that I never knew before. Loch Lomond looks so beautiful in pictures I definitely want to go there.
Scotland's history is magnificent! Edinburgh has an Old Town and a New Town...but the New Town is still older than the USA. Ha!

Will you have the same amount of time in London for this cruise as you originally planned for the last? I saw you mentioned doing the HP Studio Tour. Just know that it takes pretty much an entire day by the time you get there, tour, and return to London. I thoroughly enjoyed the Tower of London though so that's a great choice. I was there for four hours and easily could have spent more time.

Scotland's history is magnificent! Edinburgh has an Old Town and a New Town...but the New Town is still older than the USA. Ha!

Will you have the same amount of time in London for this cruise as you originally planned for the last? I saw you mentioned doing the HP Studio Tour. Just know that it takes pretty much an entire day by the time you get there, tour, and return to London. I thoroughly enjoyed the Tower of London though so that's a great choice. I was there for four hours and easily could have spent more time.
No, sadly we will only have two full days so will have to condense things a bit. I want to hit the highlights, but I love Harry Potter so I'm conflicted about not going there lol.

No, sadly we will only have two full days so will have to condense things a bit. I want to hit the highlights, but I love Harry Potter so I'm conflicted about not going there lol.
We also had to skip the Studio tour because of the length of time it took. If you have time, here are some places we visited that have HP connections (so we were able to get our fix!):

London:
King's Cross Station- this has a really great photo op with the trolley halfway through the brick wall. There's also a gift shop with some HP merch
Millennium Bridge- this bridge crosses the Thames directly south of St Paul's. It's within walking distance of the Tower. This is the bridge in the Half Blood Prince movie that the death eaters destroyed.

Edinburgh:
The Elephant House- this is a cafe that's only a few blocks off the Royal Mile. It's where JK Rowling wrote some of the books. There's a bathroom full of graffiti that's HP related.
Victoria Street- also only about a block off the royal mile. This is a colorful short street that was the inspiration for Diagon Alley. There's lots of HP merchandise (two different shops across from each other!)

We also had to skip the Studio tour because of the length of time it took. If you have time, here are some places we visited that have HP connections (so we were able to get our fix!):

London:
King's Cross Station- this has a really great photo op with the trolley halfway through the brick wall. There's also a gift shop with some HP merch
Millennium Bridge- this bridge crosses the Thames directly south of St Paul's. It's within walking distance of the Tower. This is the bridge in the Half Blood Prince movie that the death eaters destroyed.

Edinburgh:
The Elephant House- this is a cafe that's only a few blocks off the Royal Mile. It's where JK Rowling wrote some of the books. There's a bathroom full of graffiti that's HP related.
Victoria Street- also only about a block off the royal mile. This is a colorful short street that was the inspiration for Diagon Alley. There's lots of HP merchandise (two different shops across from each other!)
Thanks! We will definitely go to all of these. I'm still going to try and convince my Fiance to spend the day at Harry Potter, but it probably won't happen since we won't have much time. I got him into Harry Potter so it'll be nice for both of us :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter