Pre-race meal

skwak

Can't wait to work for Mickey someday!!
Looking for a WDW location that we can get a lighter, healthier meal the evening before our WDW race. Any suggestions?

So, two things. One is the old chestnut about not trying anything new right before a race. You didn't mention which distance, so I will assume this is for a half or full (for 5k or 10k, I wouldn't worry too much). In this context, I would suggest keeping your meal in line with what you typically eat before your next day's long run.

Second, as for restaurants, guess it depends on what you like to eat/are used to eating. I had a great pan-roasted fish at Sanaa the night before the marathon this past year. But pretty much all the Disney restaurants--which for the most part have "templated" restaurant choices (i.e. there will always be at least 1 chicken, 1 steak, 1 pork, etc, regardless of cuisine type)--have an offering that would qualify.

In the past, I have done make-your-own pasta (various locations), carved turkey with mashed potatoes (POR kid's meal!). And the menus at AllEars are a big help to scope things out.

Last edited:
I ate at Trattoria al Forno before the half and Morimoto before the full in January and was happy with both. Didn't love the pasta at Trattoria but it was fine and not to heavy or greasy.

This time around we are actually only doing the 10K. However we have a team bet (3 runners per team) which makes it way more serious and fun. Losing Team has to wait in line all day Saturday at Food & Wine. The winners have to pay their fair share but they do not need to wait in line all day.

Soooo, we are looking for a spot to eat a light and healthy meal.

I’ve done the make your own pasta at POR and AOA before.

More recently we’ve gone offsite to Sweet tomatoes for salad and whatever strikes our fancy.

“Nothing new” is hard to do when you’re traveling!

This time around we are actually only doing the 10K. However we have a team bet (3 runners per team) which makes it way more serious and fun. Losing Team has to wait in line all day Saturday at Food & Wine. The winners have to pay their fair share but they do not need to wait in line all day.

Soooo, we are looking for a spot to eat a light and healthy meal.

I guess only you can really define what constitutes "light and healthy" meal. Does it mean sushi? Salad? Grilled chicken? Vegetables? Not pizza? Light pasta? Seafood? Tapas or hummus?

What do you eat before your training runs?

Both Mama Melrose & Trattoria Al Forno have been great pre-half marathon choices so far, just know your body and make smart choices!

My go to pre race meal has become the food court at Art of Animation, make your own pasta dish. I usually get it with chicken and pesto.
12473627_10208879630012144_5662061433160373579_o.jpg

While "pasta loading" depends on personal choice, I often eat a little pasta before a half or a marathon just because it digests easily. The things I avoid are salads/raw vegetables and spicy things. Raw vegetables have a lot of roughage that I don't want to "unload" during a race and spicy food likes to come back for a "second taste" when I start to run. That being said, I can eat most anything in moderation. TMI?

While "pasta loading" depends on personal choice, I often eat a little pasta before a half or a marathon just because it digests easily. The things I avoid are salads/raw vegetables and spicy things. Raw vegetables have a lot of roughage that I don't want to "unload" during a race and spicy food likes to come back for a "second taste" when I start to run. That being said, I can eat most anything in moderation. TMI?

I'm with you - no spicy and no tomatoes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!