Prayer and pixie dust requests--Updated May 2

So - I appreciated your words and wanted to check back in because I feel so, so despondent, really.

MRI results said, in part, there's a mediastinal mass (which had been clocked before) that is probably a thymic cyst (the other "in part" is that there are a handful of lesions/cysts on my liver and a kidney but nothing super worrisome). So I says to my dr, I says, "What are we going to do about it?" And his response was, "Nothing. Why would we do anything?" So - a 100 times over, when I've looked up information about any of those terms (thymic cyst and/or anterior mediastinum mass), I've seen that often those are removed even if asymptomatic (but if symptomatic, almost always removed because it can lead to more problems). So I said some version of "because I've been having these problems" and the dr told me that my symptoms - coughing up blood/blood in my sputum (since September), chest pain, shortness of breath, a partially collapsed lung since August amidst other things - were not symptoms of this. But I should schedule a generic 3 month follow-up with him and keep an eye on my mental health.

Mostly right now, I'm writing because the constant, high-pitched wheezing that I've had since last fall (which didn't exist before last fall) is bothering me. I'm just sitting here. I've not exerted myself, really (though - to be fair - I am impressed at my stamina ... most days, I feel super fatigued after about 2-4 hours of being awake but today, I managed to not feel exhausted and need to sleep. Granted, I did almost nothing except exist on my couch - but I did not have to sleep the 16 hours a day I've been sleeping lately).

My coworkers have suggested I need a second opinion ("we can see you've changed in these ways") but there are few ways to get that where I am (and especially with the lack of energy I have). Before the MRI, I had a ton of blood work done (in part because I keep producing blood in other body fluids) and the dr was like, "You keep testing positive in this ANA test but you don't have any autoimmune problems" but then just leaves it there - and like all of my symptoms, there's no curiosity about the second step of any test. It's just "Oh, you shouldn't be bleeding, having symptoms, testing positive" but then when I ask if we can figure out the root ... it feels like there's no follow-up. I don't know what else to do.
Terrible!

Just wondering is your health insurance an HMO. It seems there's a disincentive to pursue things in HMO's with the capita concept of payment to the medical people.

As Kim asked above, why no 2nd opinion?

...and you aren't going for a 2nd opinion because......?
My current dr/series of Drs are all a part of the same (only) medical system in my community. I was referred to a neurologist for a genetic health problem I was diagnosed with a long time ago - earliest referral was 6 months. I have lost almost of the hair on my legs due to cardiovascular stuff (in addition to edema, terrible blood pressure, etc) and I cannot get a cardio appt. I live in a medical-provider desert (which was true in 2016 when I moved here - covid exacerbated it).

To get a second opinion, I'd need to go to the next nearest town (about an hour away). The last time I tried (to see a previously mentioned rheumatologist), I had to sleep for a bit in the parking lot because I have this fatigue that sets in at about 2 (sometimes as long as 4) hours. But then it's hard to find a dr, request the appt, get it setup, etc - and then the wait for the rheumatologist (even though my dr at the time was afraid I had a very serious and quickly fatal autoimmune disorder) was like 3 months (and only that fast because I drove the 90 minutes to the suburbs NORTH of the next largest town). It's a mess. I'm actually considering asking friends to try to help me make appts, etc.

ETA @Dan Murphy

Last edited:
Terrible!

Just wondering is your health insurance an HMO. It seems there's a disincentive to pursue things in HMO's with the capita concept of payment to the medical people.

As Kim asked above, why no 2nd opinion?
It's PPO, actually. IDK. I keep getting the suggestion to call them for advice - so I may do that. It's just so tiring (I'm also keeping up a full-time job, joint custody of my 2 kids, and before any of this - have muscular dystrophy (but without any family, really, to support me - almost everyone has passed). It can be a lot.

I'm actually considering asking friends to try to help me make appts, etc.
Good morning, @bsmcneil. I really don't know what to say. I'd say to find out what kind of health plan you have, HMO, PPO, something else. I'd say again, second opinion. Ask a friend, neighbor, somebody to assist you. Seems like a dead end where you are at the moment. Get some help for your health. My best. :hug:'s

My current dr/series of Drs are all a part of the same (only) medical system in my community. I was referred to a neurologist for a genetic health problem I was diagnosed with a long time ago - earliest referral was 6 months. I have lost almost of the hair on my legs due to cardiovascular stuff (in addition to edema, terrible blood pressure, etc) and I cannot get a cardio appt. I live in a medical-provider desert (which was true in 2016 when I moved here - covid exacerbated it).

To get a second opinion, I'd need to go to the next nearest town (about an hour away). The last time I tried (to see a previously mentioned rheumatologist), I had to sleep for a bit in the parking lot because I have this fatigue that sets in at about 2 (sometimes as long as 4) hours. But then it's hard to find a dr, request the appt, get it setup, etc - and then the wait for the rheumatologist (even though my dr at the time was afraid I had a very serious and quickly fatal autoimmune disorder) was like 3 months (and only that fast because I drove the 90 minutes to the suburbs NORTH of the next largest town). It's a mess. I'm actually considering asking friends to try to help me make appts, etc.

ETA @Dan Murphy
...yikes! I guess I'm spoiled because I live in a more suburban area AND my D-in-L's dad's GF is VP of a major hospital where she can give my great recommendations....good luck!

Hugs and prayers, BSMmcneil. I am having healthcare trouble too. It is so sad what a challenge getting quality and compassionate care can be. Thinking of you:flower3:

Good morning, @bsmcneil. I really don't know what to say. I'd say to find out what kind of health plan you have, HMO, PPO, something else. I'd say again, second opinion. Ask a friend, neighbor, somebody to assist you. Seems like a dead end where you are at the moment. Get some help for your health. My best. :hug:'s
I may have good news (relatively) but I worry I'll jinx it. I did get some courage and nudged my dr some. He said he would refer me to thoracic surgery. It's good that progress is being made - not that things are less of a problem.

It's getting down to crunch time. I have a colonoscopy in about 2 weeks (and there are some persistent concerns). Pulmonologist can't see me until late May. Neurology (another referral - though mostly because I have a neurological disease and they want to make sure what's happening isn't from that) mid June. And then cardiology in July (I've lost ¾ of the hair on both legs - plus bad edema, etc). Sadly, though, my job ends June 30. So, I'm anxious about how to make it all work before losing/changing insurance (it's a PPO). But fingers crossed. I really hope the colonoscopy gives me answers and/or the thoracic surgeon referral.

Like I said - I'll go outside, turn around three times and spit/curse. Don't want to jinx anything. But something has to give!

ETA - I also have a phone call next week with Mayo Clinic to see if they would help.

Hugs and prayers, BSMmcneil. I am having healthcare trouble too. It is so sad what a challenge getting quality and compassionate care can be. Thinking of you:flower3:
Thank you so much. It's ... it's, as you know, so rough. Hugs and prayers back to you! I've been collecting memes, etc and these were helpful for me.

Attachments

• IMG_2134.JPG
    IMG_2134.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2127.JPG
    IMG_2127.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2081.JPG
    IMG_2081.JPG
    29 KB · Views: 1
Thank you so much. Thinking of you

I would still appreciate full recovery prayers for me and healing from his own (different than mine) feet issues for dad.

As always, PM me anyone who would enjoy a card. Sweet Dreams, friends:grouphug:

I may have good news (relatively) but I worry I'll jinx it. I did get some courage and nudged my dr some. He said he would refer me to thoracic surgery. It's good that progress is being made - not that things are less of a problem.

It's getting down to crunch time. I have a colonoscopy in about 2 weeks (and there are some persistent concerns). Pulmonologist can't see me until late May. Neurology (another referral - though mostly because I have a neurological disease and they want to make sure what's happening isn't from that) mid June. And then cardiology in July (I've lost ¾ of the hair on both legs - plus bad edema, etc). Sadly, though, my job ends June 30. So, I'm anxious about how to make it all work before losing/changing insurance (it's a PPO). But fingers crossed. I really hope the colonoscopy gives me answers and/or the thoracic surgeon referral.

Like I said - I'll go outside, turn around three times and spit/curse. Don't want to jinx anything. But something has to give!

ETA - I also have a phone call next week with Mayo Clinic to see if they would help.

Thank you so much. Thinking of you

I would still appreciate full recovery prayers for me and healing from his own (different than mine) feet issues for dad.

As always, PM me anyone who would enjoy a card. Sweet Dreams, friends:grouphug:
Wishing you guys progress in pursuit of improved health.

And Mayo is about as good as it gets.

Wishing you guys progress in pursuit of improved health.

And Mayo is about as good as it gets.
Thank you. I seem to have pneumonia - so I'm hoping this gets cleared so I can still have my colonoscopy next week. Slowly but surely!

Thank you. I seem to have pneumonia - so I'm hoping this gets cleared so I can still have my colonoscopy next week. Slowly but surely!
If you 'seem' to have pneumonia, I would get a medical confirmation if you do or do not. That is not something to 'seem' like you have.

Thank you. I did get an x-ray and it is pneumonia. Working on that. Colonoscopy tomorrow. I'm assuming no answers, which is okay - I just wish the symptoms also stopped you know?
Well, that's good, sort of. You have a diagnosis. Are you on an antibiotic now for the pneumonia? Best wishes on the colonoscopy, such a very important test. Moving along now. :hug:'s

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter