Post Chemo Trip

Anne2

Mouseketeer
I'm not sure of the best place to ask this. I am 28, and was just diagnosed with breast cancer. I have had surgery, and will begin chemo (to be followed by radiation) next week. All in all, it will be a long 8 months.

So, in my quest to focus on life and the good, I would like to begin planning a trip for when treatment is done. Disney is my absolute happiest place to be.

For those that have experienced chemo, or have close family that have, how soon would you recommend the first trip post treatment?

Thank you for any help you can give!!

I don't know if this will be helpful or not, but most chemo. (in my experience with my ds) will lower your blood counts as does radiation. Your red cells and platelets will be transfused as needed, but you may need to wait a few weeks for your white blood cells to recover so you aren't in danger of any infections. I've heard about some new meds. they have to stimulate white blood cell growth, but the ones they used on my son still took a couple weeks to kick in, of course everyone is different, but you may want to take that into consideration. Also the time of year as alot of chemo drugs and radiation makes you ultrasensitive to sunlight. So basically you'll need to check with your doctor before you go anywhere, but I would guess at least a month post treatment, maybe 2, your best bet would be to ask your doctor. Hope that gives you some idea what to look at. :D

My thoughts are with you and here's an extra sprinkle of pixie dust! :wizard:

We planned my mom's trip about 6 weeks post chemo. We kept her in a WC in the parks, just so she didn't overdo. (She was 68 at the time.) She really looked forward to the trip throughout her treatment. It was def. her "happy spot!"

God Bless.

I am soory to read of your medical problems. Please know you are in my thoughts & prayers.

You might want to go over to the Collector's board here on the DIS & look for posts by MICKEY527/Peggie. She is going through a similar medical situation. She is a few weeks ahead of you, but she isn't 28 :).

Hi - glad to hear you are using Disney as the light at the end of your tunnel. I hope your treatments go smoothly.

I agree with 6 weeks... my husband was exhausted at the end of his chemo - but Procrit (sp?) shots have helped. They also make your bones ache, so watch for that... so maybe 8 weeks would be better.

Talk to your health care professionals. Good for you to be positive about all this.

:grouphug:

Sue

Sorry to hear about your medical conditon. my daughter went thru 10months of chemo and surgery for bone cancer. You should check with your doctor because your blood counts will be out of wack for a while. Infection is your greatest risk and you will tire easily. My daughter finished chemo in august and we went to disney for Oct 31 MNSSHP. She still needed wheelchair but that is because she had total knee replacement to remove tumor. Take care of yourself and my prayers are with you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter