Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

When flying using miles, can feed be paid with a gift card? It sounds like it on their FAQs, but hoping for confirmation from someone that has actually done it. Thanks :)
From southwest.com:

"Sales tax, security fees, and passenger facilities charges may be paid for with a Southwest gift card."

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but... Anyone know if i'd be better off buying flights on the release date or waiting for the bday sale? We are flying from detroit (or could do buffalo) in november. Hoping for a direct flight. We have 7 travellers so hoping to snag the best deal!

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but... Anyone know if i'd be better off buying flights on the release date or waiting for the bday sale? We are flying from detroit (or could do buffalo) in november. Hoping for a direct flight. We have 7 travellers so hoping to snag the best deal!
Anybody advice given on this is purely anecdotal. I wish you well but nobody truly knows and anybody’s personal experience probably has no bearing on your situation unless they literally have traveled from the exact same cities on the exact same dates in the past. (And even then their advice/experience still may be meaningless). Sorry to sound super negative there lol.

All that said I’d book on release date, haha.

When/what is the SW birthday sale?

We fly from Buffalo to Orlando 2 or 3 times a year. I choose to book on release date and hope for a better price later but not sure that helps you if you’re not able to use the credits.

I don’t want to be the bearer of bad news but I would prepare yourself for higher prices in November. We normally fly in September and November and I’m often disappointed that the Nov flight prices are significantly higher than other times of the year. Not sure why but this has been my experience booking Nov flights over the past 7 years.

This year I totally changed things up for us and booked Westjet for our Dec flight when the price was similar to what release day prices normally are for SW. We’re also gaining 2 days on our trip since we save the time it takes to drive to Buffalo.

One more thought, you may wish to look for tickets on SW for your group of 7 in smaller batches. SW prices work in a way that as a certain price point fills, the price goes up. They may have a smaller number of seats at a lower price and then more at a greater price. Something to keep in mind.

When is the bday sale?

Hope you find prices and flight times that work for you.

Last edited:

Detroit rarely has direct flights to MCO. I typically drive to Columbus to fly from there as they have many direct options (I do have family there though so I can stay with them the night before.).

Detroit rarely has direct flights to MCO. I typically drive to Columbus to fly from there as they have many direct options (I do have family there though so I can stay with them the night before.).

Oh darn! The last time we flew spirit. It was direct but we were hoping for a better airline this time around

We fly from Buffalo to Orlando 2 or 3 times a year. I choose to book on release date and hope for a better price later but not sure that helps you if you’re not able to use the credits.

I don’t want to be the bearer of bad news but I would prepare yourself for higher prices in November. We normally fly in September and November and I’m often disappointed that the Nov flight prices are significantly higher than other times of the year. Not sure why but this has been my experience booking Nov flights over the past 7 years.

This year I totally changed things up for us and booked Westjet for our Dec flight when the price was similar to what release day prices normally are for SW. We’re also gaining 2 days on our trip since we save the time it takes to drive to Buffalo.

One more thought, you may wish to look for tickets on SW for your group of 7 in smaller batches. SW prices work in a way that as a certain price point fills, the price goes up. They may have a smaller number of seats at a lower price and then more at a greater price. Something to keep in mind.

When is the bday sale?

Hope you find prices and flight times that work for you.

We arent flying anywhere again for about a year and a half. Im sure the credit would expire before that.

Good suggestion on the smaller amount of seats. Maybe i could even buy some on release date then if they drop use the credit towards the rest on sale day. Although i guess that could backfire too amd i could end up paying more for the rest. So hard! Lol

From what ive read the sale is mid june

We arent flying anywhere again for about a year and a half. Im sure the credit would expire before that.

Good suggestion on the smaller amount of seats. Maybe i could even buy some on release date then if they drop use the credit towards the rest on sale day. Although i guess that could backfire too amd i could end up paying more for the rest. So hard! Lol

From what ive read the sale is mid june

I might be wrong, but I think if you get credit for a flight dropping in price, the credit has to be used by the person named on the ticket. So you wouldn't be able too apply those funds to a ticket for another person.

I'm pretty excited. SW announced a "sale of the summer." Seems like I get an email just about every day with a sale, or low fares, or whatever, but this time it paid off. I had been eyeing a trip to Florida over Labor Day weekend and for the longest time it had been 135 down and 120 back. Then a couple of weeks ago the 120 back went up to 135. Today I got it for 135 down, but 99 back! Plus...I had enough points to cover the 99, which means more spending money when I'm there :-). Our daughter and her family live down there so I like to take 1 or 2 short trips a year to see them.

I have attempted to read through all 156 pages of this but I cannot get through it all! We are considering flying Southwest as their fares are looking like they may be the cheapest (with free bags to boot), Delta is almost double what I am pricing right now. Last year we flew Delta, but could not use RAC because we didn't have seats assigned before we got to the airport. Since Southwest doesn't assign seats, I can still use RAC correct because I would have the boarding number? I am thinking of using the Wanna Get Away fare selection (would rather spend money at Disney instead of transportation to get there), but can I still get Early Bird Check In with those tickets? Saving $400 or more is so worth a layover (no plane change)! Thanks in advance everyone!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter