Positives and Negatives of renting/ transfering points...

amccu18007

DIS Veteran
I have extensively read the rent/ trade forum and all associated threads. I am in the process of deciding whether or not to rent or transfer my points. I have planned a trip to Aulani and secured points from another DVC owner for that so was trying to recoup some money with my points to put towards that. I keep going back and forth between renting them out or just transferring a lump sum to one owner. Can anyone with experiences (good or bad) chime in on their preferred method? Anything I should "Look" out for? Thank you for your time helping a newbie out!

I have rented out my points twice using David's Rental. It was easy and very happy with the results. I will do it again.

On a negative side you can only do 1 transfer per UY, so either you get a transfer from another member or you transfer your points to another member.

If you want to book ie. BWV 11months out you could get a 2018 UY transfer from a member with BWV points. then you can’t transfer your own 2018 points away to offset the cost you would have to transfer your 2019 points. But then you can’t receive a transfer from a member should you need to.

Some owners accept less $$ per point when transferring as it’s less hassle.

I prefer to use my transfers for inbound only and then I book the harder to get reservations and rent those, that has been fairly easy.

I have transferred points only once. It was a very easy transaction with member services and would do it again. I have also used Davids' rentals and was just as happy with them.

Renting through David's is great, the only drawback is your dollar/point earnings is easily $1 to $3 less than what you can get on the boards. They do, however, run interference on A LOT of customer-facing issues. Plus they help you become whole should either party due something that breaks the contract, like extra charges in the room, for example. The difference is worth it to a lot of people.

The drawback to renting on the boards is you contend with a flood of requests for reservations that are not possible at the < 7-month window or even <11 month window (e.g., value/club at AKV, a studio at an Epcot resort in October). Plus there's the liability of room damage/extra charges that may have been unintentional, but you still are responsible for it.

With transferring, there is the risk that one party fails to transfer/pay, but that risk largely falls on the transferee as there are few people who will transfer without being paid first. But once the transfer is complete, the parties can walk away as there is no further liability exposure on either party.

I've never rented my points, but I've paid for transfer points using Paypal 5-6 times (when I need more points for a grand villa) I give myself time and I generally will find someone on the rent/trade boards who has about what I need in points and request if they are transferable, if so I get the whole lot. Once transferred to me, I call MS and make the reservation I want. You can't see transferred points, but once the reservation is booked, you can see it in your up coming vacations. Using rented points, someone else controls your reservation, I don't like that.

So if I have February 2019 points do I need to wait until Februaury 1, 2019 to transfer them? If I rent them, I can make reservations now. Is that correct?

So if I have February 2019 points do I need to wait until Februaury 1, 2019 to transfer them? If I rent them, I can make reservations now. Is that correct?
You would need to transfer them to someone's 2019 UY, not 2018. They could not borrow them to use them before Feb 1, 2019. You can make a reservation for any time this year or up to Jan 2020. Or bank them and use them in your Feb 2010 UY.

You would need to transfer them to someone's 2019 UY, not 2018. They could not borrow them to use them before Feb 1, 2019. You can make a reservation for any time this year or up to Jan 2020. Or bank them and use them in your Feb 2010 UY.
Thank you! I appreciate your help!

I've rented a bunch of times, and only once through a rental company. It's pretty easy to rent on your own or go through a broker... It will require you to find a person to rent to (which isn't hard), write up a contract (the people on dis are great and have templates that you can use), book in their name, arrange their Magical Express, and a few other details. That being said, transferring is easier bc you just get rid of your points and you're done with it.

I do believe if your points are Feb 2019, you will need to wait until then to transfer the points. Otherwise you can rent out now for dates from Feb 2019-January 2020. Hope this helps!

I've rented a bunch of times, and only once through a rental company. It's pretty easy to rent on your own or go through a broker... It will require you to find a person to rent to (which isn't hard), write up a contract (the people on dis are great and have templates that you can use), book in their name, arrange their Magical Express, and a few other details. That being said, transferring is easier bc you just get rid of your points and you're done with it.

I do believe if your points are Feb 2019, you will need to wait until then to transfer the points. Otherwise you can rent out now for dates from Feb 2019-January 2020. Hope this helps!
I don’t think you need to wait until Feb 2019 to transfer your points... I am quite certain you can transfer points in your current (Feb 2018) or next UY (Feb 2019).... you would need to wait until Feb 1, 2019 if you wanted to transfer your Feb 2020 points, since that would be your “next UY”. In January 2018 (during my Feb 2017 UY), I accepted a transfer of Aug 2017 points into my Feb 2017 UY (which I banked to Aug 2018), and Aug 2018 points into my Feb 2018 UY. All at the same time in one phone call/transaction with MS.

I don’t think you need to wait until Feb 2019 to transfer your points... I am quite certain you can transfer points in your current (Feb 2018) or next UY (Feb 2019).... you would need to wait until Feb 1, 2019 if you wanted to transfer your Feb 2020 points, since that would be your “next UY”. In January 2018 (during my Feb 2017 UY), I accepted a transfer of Aug 2017 points into my Feb 2017 UY (which I banked to Aug 2018), and Aug 2018 points into my Feb 2018 UY. All at the same time in one phone call/transaction with MS.

For some reason I thought the op wanted to transfer 2019 points... if not, my apologies

For some reason I thought the op wanted to transfer 2019 points... if not, my apologies
Yes the OP can transfer Feb 2019 points now, in their Feb 2018 UY. You can transfer current and next UY points. Happy to be corrected, but this was my experience.

Yes the OP can transfer Feb 2019 points now, in their Feb 2018 UY. You can transfer current and next UY points. Happy to be corrected, but this was my experience.

Correct. You can transfer current year points and/or the next UY.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter