Port Orleans- does it feel like a motel?

I LOVE Port Orleans- Riverside (I haven't stayed FQ.) In fact, I would have booked there again this November but it wasn't available for our dates so we're going with AKL. There is nothing about POR that feels like I'm settling or downgrading myself. The grounds are beautiful. We have always been unfortunate enough to stay about as far from the lobby as someone can get, but the walk is always so peaceful. I feel transported to the old South, and as someone who hails from the South, I feel at home. We have always been in a mansion, and they are comfortable and lovely. We love to take the ride over to Disney Springs via the boats. There are horse-drawn carriages and recreation. The main pool area is nice and centrally located. The food court is nice. We actually really love Boatwright's, too. The "town" feel is very well done as well. I think it's a very relaxing resort. No, you aren't getting a balcony and, yes, your main entrance is outside but it's so peaceful there. The lounge is quiet, but there is YeHa Bob who comes to play and liven the place up a bit. I think the gift shop is nice, too. I don't know what your usual spot is on property if you have one, but if you are going to go with a moderate I don't think POR is disappointing. As others mentioned, there are the Royal Rooms. I think they are wonderfully themed! The scene above the headboard is just fantastic. Good luck with your choice. I think when it comes down to it, you have to pick where you will be most comfortable to enjoy your stay.

Op if ur truly A hotel snob, as ur first line states... I’d skip POR. It is exactly as you said/didn’t want..outdoor to walkways, no bells and whistles.( I happen to love it as it’s where we first started years ago,) but deluxes are much more amenity geared both in/out which seems to also be a better fit for ur family.
Budget and deluxe typically not an easy mix and not at holiday time.
Enjoy wherever u stay!

I am a bit of a hotel snob, as well. We have spent a couple nights at the POR prior to moving to a deluxe resort. I found it charming and would definitely consider staying there again. That being said, it does have more of a motel feel (a very nice motel!)due to having the exterior doors and we missed having a balcony for morning coffee. I would recommend looking at staying at the WL. It is a little more affordable than some other deluxe resorts and it is absolutely one of our favorite places to stay.

Short answer: no it does not feel like a motel. The grounds are wonderful.

CBR felt a little motel-ish to me but still not like Motel 6 level.

I too am a deluxe snob, but I love both POR & POFQ. Granted, I do usually stay there for only one or two nights before I move to a deluxe. But it is charming & beautiful & never once has it felt motel-ish to me. Maybe you could try a split stay too?

I’m a hotel snob and have been considering poly or even swan for our Nov trip. But we can save so much money by switching to POR, or stay an extra night and still save $100. So I’m leaning toward switching our res to POR. What turned me off to the moderates initially is I don’t like that they are all motel style with the doors to the room going straight to outside. Does POR rooms feel motel-ish? If we stay an extra day, we’ll schedule a midweek resort day. Is POR a nice place to relax in Nov? Likelihood of being able to use the pools that time of year? We have a 6 yo dd. Do you think if I request a recently renovated room we’d get it? Is POFQ or POR nicer? POFQ is full our dates so it’s moot I guess but just curious. Thanks friends! Oh and we’re doing mostly MK with one day at Epcot.

Each resort has their pros/cons. I personally prefer Polynesian purely for the convince of the monorail. If you’ll be mostly at Magic Kingdom or Epcot you’ll definitely have a better transportation experience. (The swan is close second, can’t beat walking distance to Epcot! Plus those Westin heavenly beds!!!)

Port Orleans is nice and the grounds are gorgeous. I wouldn’t say it has a “motel” feel. If you request a garden view or river view, it will probably be better. (You won’t overlook a parking lot or anything.) These resorts are located farther away from the parks though, closer to Disney springs.

Completely disagree that the deluxes are not true deluxe. Are they at the ritz Carlton or four seasons level, no. But they’re pretty darn special.
There are various rating definitions in the industry, but they generally follow the same pattern that was started by the Mobil Travel Guide half a century ago. These ratings are backed up by specific audit criteria and the various rating services have auditors that re-rate each property periodically. However, most of these services have abandoned using words in favor of numbers (1, 2, 3, 4, 5), because words confuse things. IIRC, the five ratings Mobil used to give were Budget (*), Standard (**), First Class (***), Deluxe (****), and Luxury (*****).

Disney's deluxe resorts fall short on a few of the Four-Star criteria. Evening turndown service, with fresh ice service. Two hour pressing available. Same day laundry and dry cleaning seven days a week.

We consider POR our home resort, but we have stayed at all the moderate except for the cabins over at Fort Wilderness. While the door opens to the outside, that's the only thing that seems motel'ish. Honestly I could care less we are at Disney.... The grounds are very well care for and are absolutely just beautiful. As far as the room, It's themed lovely and the bed are/were quite comfortable, small table with 2 chair, We normally go for the king room, and most of the time it has had the pull down. The pool area is really done well and they have a nice play ground. DH and I always enjoy a cocktail by the pool, also they have a larger covered pool bar area. Lastly we like the fact that you can walk easily over to POFQ for a different option for quick serve. The boat to Disney Springs is a plus.

We love the deluxe resorts, but for us at WDW we spend most of our time in the parks, at the pool, or water parks and Disney Springs. So really only need a place to sleep and shower. Saving that cash allows us to do hard ticket events, or behind the scene tours. Special dinning, more TS and Character meals, along with Disney souvenir's .... Pandora, Purses, and Christmas ornaments which for me is very important.

Really only you can make the choice. But if you decide to go for it be opened minded, Your at Disney...

OP - make a list of the amenities that you must have in order to enjoy your vacation. Then compare that list to POR. If you need balconies, POR is a no. If you want to be within walking distance of a park, or have park transportation other than a bus, POR is a no. If you need interior corridors, POR is a no. Only you know what amenities are mandatory for your family. There are differences in the amenities at the deluxes and the moderates, but so long as POR has the core amenities you MUST have, you won't necessarily mind losing a few amenities that you may not even be using.

I have stayed at all levels of Disney resort, based on budget and based on what I need for a particular trip. I have had vacations that were just as fun at a value as I have at the Poly or GF. But it's important to do the research and know what each hotel offers so you aren't disappointed.

Not at all POR is my favorite resort to stay at if we dont stay deluxe.
It's really a beautiful resort, you can fish, rent bikes, boats, there are pools, a lounge with entertainment. The food court is good they have a sit down restaurant and a boat to Disney springs!

I’m a hotel snob and have been considering poly or even swan for our Nov trip. But we can save so much money by switching to POR, or stay an extra night and still save $100. So I’m leaning toward switching our res to POR. What turned me off to the moderates initially is I don’t like that they are all motel style with the doors to the room going straight to outside. Does POR rooms feel motel-ish?
To me this feels motel-ish:

But this does not feel motel-ish

Since you don't like that the doors open straight to the outside you will not like POR

I actually think it is better than a hotel, but I can see where you're getting the motel idea from. Most Disney hotels are exterior, but it really is a fantastic resort. It feels so nice being there and does not feel motel-ish at all.

We have stayed at nearly all the deluxe resorts including the Swan at Disney and have also stayed at Riverside. In the Disney world I would call my family hotel snobs and we joke about it often. As we have gotten older we tend to stay CL and mostly at the BWI. I absolutely hate having anyone walking past my window and being able to look into our room and that bothers me more than having the door open to the outside. We enjoyed our one stay at Riverside but have no interest in staying again. As far as the rooms go I didn't like cramped feeling with no designated enclosed closet, and just the very small cheap table and chairs (no desk). We love having some resort time and spend a good deal of time at the resort. The buses tend to discourage me from leaving a park and going back to the resort during the day as we always like to do so that is another check in the no column. We also don't like the mad house that is quick service in the morning before you head out to the parks so that is another knock against any moderate hotel over the deluxe resorts.

The pool area is nice but I don't recall Riverside having a slide and I can recall my 6 year old loving the slide at the deluxe resorts. Disney Deluxe resorts are deluxe for a lot more than just the room so I would recommend making a list of what both hotels offer and seeing what you wouldn't use and what you can't live without. For my family we would rather stay a shorter trip at a Deluxe resort than at a moderate one.

We have stayed at nearly all the deluxe resorts including the Swan at Disney and have also stayed at Riverside. In the Disney world I would call my family hotel snobs and we joke about it often. As we have gotten older we tend to stay CL and mostly at the BWI. I absolutely hate having anyone walking past my window and being able to look into our room and that bothers me more than having the door open to the outside. We enjoyed our one stay at Riverside but have no interest in staying again. As far as the rooms go I didn't like cramped feeling with no designated enclosed closet, and just the very small cheap table and chairs (no desk). We love having some resort time and spend a good deal of time at the resort. The buses tend to discourage me from leaving a park and going back to the resort during the day as we always like to do so that is another check in the no column. We also don't like the mad house that is quick service in the morning before you head out to the parks so that is another knock against any moderate hotel over the deluxe resorts.

The pool area is nice but I don't recall Riverside having a slide and I can recall my 6 year old loving the slide at the deluxe resorts. Disney Deluxe resorts are deluxe for a lot more than just the room so I would recommend making a list of what both hotels offer and seeing what you wouldn't use and what you can't live without. For my family we would rather stay a shorter trip at a Deluxe resort than at a moderate one.
It does. All the Mods do

I have enjoyed all of my stays at Riverside (and CSR as well) but I do think that the buildings themselves do have a motel feel, the rest of the resort however is not motel like in the least in my opinion.

I always try to stay on the highest floor of a hotel ....so if I had to stay at POR...I would be okaaay...but I wouldn't open my blinds at all.:teeth:

I'm actually surprised someone who describes themselves as a hotel snob even finds a Disney Deluxe satisfactory. They are not Deluxe hotels by industry standards by any means.

I guess my question would be do you find the Disney Deluxe resorts meet your standards completely? or barely? If completely then I'd say POR would barely meet them and if Deluxe barely meet them then no way would POR come close.

Though I guess on the other hand I can't wrap my brain around poo-pooing a resort based on it's doors opening to the outside. What's so wrong with that? I guess I'm not fancy enough to understand the issue.
Hotel snob checking in. We always stay in the Epcot area (BC, YC, BWI) because we love the convenience of being able to walk to EP and HS and would never consider staying offsite (we value access to DME, resort charging privileges, deluxe dining plan) but I'd be lying if I said that the hotels would be passable to me outside the DW bubble.

We have stayed at deluxes only (GF, Poly, WL, AK), with the one exception being POR because of the "Royal Rooms." It is a mixed bag, but it definitely felt like a downgrade compared to deluxes to me, although I think it depends on what is important to you and what isn't.
I would totally stay there again if it was all we could afford, but I enjoy the resort time considerably, so if I had a choice between one less day at WDW and staying at deluxe or one more day at a moderate, I would go with the Deluxe personally. Here is my take on it:

Parts of POR that feel like a Deluxe
--Grounds are beautiful (this was really the best part, that winding river through the property is GORGEOUS)
--Nice pool
--Lobby was very nice with very attractive finishes, albeit smaller and less "grand" than the deluxes
--Service was great
--With the exception of the bathrooms noted below, we though the room theming was very nice, and beds were comfy

Parts of POR that feel like a Motel
--Bus transportation was from hell. Buses had 5-6 stops (depending on whether or not they shared with POFQ) and the buses often filled and would skip your stop, meaning it really did take up to 90 minutes to get to our location once (that is what Disney says on its transportation webpage, but I thought that was a myth until POR). Plus it can be a long walk to the bus stop depending on where you are
--Room was considerably smaller than a deluxe
--Buildings and rooms are showing a bit more wear and tear than the deluxes (though I understand they are starting a refurb soon)
--No fine dining or character meal option on-site
--No view from the room of any kind (all you can see is the external corridor, and you have to keep the blinds shut anyway because of people walking by)
--Bathrooms were not nearly as nice

Another hotel snob checking in. I’ve stayed at POR & FQ when taking a late flight before checking into resort next day. They are lovely resorts but I have a thing about closet doors. I need them and mods don’t have them. Also one of my favorite things is to sit on balcony and relax with a glass of wine after kids go to bed. If these things matter to you you’re better off somewhere else.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter