POR or POF?

Raven01

Proud Momma to DD
Grandpa is determined to stay at Port Orleans Riverside, but I am worried because there are no preferred rooms available, and he has health issues such that we need to be careful of unnecessary walking. The trip is early December.

Should we change to Port Orleans French Quarter? Any other suggestions for a moderate hotel?

I strongly recommend POFQ. You can walk, bus, or take a boat to POR. There are actually rooms in POFQ building 7 that are closer to the POR main buildings than some POR rooms are!

I also recommend POFQ. It is our favorite resort that we have stayed at so far. We like the small size and the theming more at POFQ compared to POR. Is there a reason he wants POR more?

I love POR. Both are great resorts but my fav is POR. My last stay I had an extremely painful knee. I had knee replacement 5 months before trip and still had pain & swelling.
I faxed Room Assignor explaining my stituation and needed a close location. We had Royal room booked. We got a great location so close to everything, the elevator, close to foot bridge, and bus stop was behind building. We were in Oak Manor.

There are 2 non Royal mansion buildings Acadian House and Magnolia Terrace, very close to amenities. Ask for location close to Old Man Island foot bridge. Por has the best room assignors. I encourage you to fax them around 5 days before arrival and explain why you are are needing a location close to amenities.
Have a look at Resort map. You will notice these buildings also have bus stops behind them. By parking lots.

Does your grandpa have a scooter to get around the parks? He can rent from an offsite company and they will deliver it to the resort. This way he will have it for both the parks and resort.

You can't go wrong with either resort but I agree with one of the pp's - why is it he wants to stay there? It is spread out but if he feels he can manage or has a scooter then I'd find out what his motivation is and go with it.

We have stayed twice at both resorts and by far French Quarter wins. With it being smaller everything is at best a 5 to 7 minute walk away. I tested this last trip by walking from a river view room to the bus stop. Just short of 7 minutes and the place is just nice and everyone was very friendly.

I have no idea why he picked POR! He is mobile so no scooter, but uses a wheelchair as needed. In a place like Disney, he will want to walk more.

He looked at some maps and thought there are multiple bus stops at POR. Is that true? He is thinking the bus stops negate any walking problem. I personally don’t care about the hotel, but I am anticipating problems with the distance.

I have no idea why he picked POR! He is mobile so no scooter, but uses a wheelchair as needed. In a place like Disney, he will want to walk more.

He looked at some maps and thought there are multiple bus stops at POR. Is that true? He is thinking the bus stops negate any walking problem. I personally don’t care about the hotel, but I am anticipating problems with the distance.

Yes multiple bus stops around the area. But if I was you I would book a preferred room they are the closest to the lobby and 5 days out you can request building 14. It will negate any and all walking issues.

I have stayed at both. I preferred POFQ for many many reasons. The main two are the walking distance to the main building and the bus stop was so much easier. When I was there, the bus was so crowded almost all of the time. Also, POFQ does have elevators. In our situation at both resorts, the customer service was so much better at POFQ. I had a preferred room booked at POR 6 months out. When we arrived, they wanted us to stay in the very back of the resort. I stood my ground and one hour later, we were in Building 14.

I would also agree with the above posters that POFQ is better. The layout and walking is the main on and I think that would be a major concern for you. The pool at POFQ is great. The feel and look of the resort is also fantastic.

There are multiple bus stops, but you would still have to walk to get to the food court/lobby.

I like the theming at POR better, so for me, I'd look at solutions there. The royal rooms are a very short walk - I'd consider those. I think you can choose a river view, which gets you on the front side of the building to shorten the walk, though the regular views wouldn't be much farther.

I have stayed at both. I preferred POFQ for many many reasons. The main two are the walking distance to the main building and the bus stop was so much easier. When I was there, the bus was so crowded almost all of the time. Also, POFQ does have elevators. In our situation at both resorts, the customer service was so much better at POFQ. I had a preferred room booked at POR 6 months out. When we arrived, they wanted us to stay in the very back of the resort. I stood my ground and one hour later, we were in Building 14.
Why would they put you not in the preferred area? You payed for it wth. They better not try to pull that on my trip.

If he needs to limit walking highly recommend a scooter even if you pick POFQ.

POFQ - we started here last month and loved it. Very pretty resort and loved so much the small size and one bus stop (no worry bus would be full when it arrived).

POR - we went over to visit and the feel of this resort is so different. I would say it is more visually relaxing due to being spread out more with tons more open space. Also very pretty and with more things to do, but much much bigger.

Why would they put you not in the preferred area? You payed for it wth. They better not try to pull that on my trip.
The first person stated that they overbooked. I asked for a manager and she said the air conditioner was not working. But later that day we saw a big group of young ladies in their Cheer Outfits. So, I do not really know.

There is a north, south, east and west bus stop for POR. I would go POFQ as it is the first bus stop to and from parks. We stayed in Bldg 4 which was close to buses and food court. I also had a little seating area very close as well.

POFQ. Compact resort, nothing is far. Beautiful grounds. Bus stops never crowded. You will be so glad leaving the MK when you pass POR’s line which is at least 3 busses deep and get to your little POFQ stop with its short line. And there is an internal shuttle if you want to enjoy PORs amenities (pool, carriage rides, boat rentals, restaurants etc).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter