Pop v. Dolphin

deltadisney

Mouseketeer
We are looking at a short post-Christmas tripe for 4 days. We are booked at Pop. Out of curiosity, I saw an offer from Dolphin and plugged in our dates and the hotel cost is basically the same. (I am also assuming Disney will not update any post-Christmas discounts). I am not familiar at all with the Dolphin and wanted to get some feedback on Pop v. Dolphin. We are flying in and out, and I did read where Dolphin does not provide Magical Express. Any thoughts, guidance, or opinions? Two years ago we stayed at the Hilton, and after that trip, I promised I would never stay off-site again. I know Dolphin is a little different, but are there any small perks I am missing by staying at Pop. Also, I would normally say the room and resort is not a huge concern since our main concern is parks (HS x2, Epcot, and MK this trip), but with everything going on, it may matter slightly more this trip. Is this really a no-brainer? Thank you for any help or opinions.

I am at the airport heading to Dolphin. I switched from Pop about 3 weeks ago because the reports of transportation at Pop were not great at all. I’ve never stayed at Dolphin but the ability to walk to Epcot and DHS was a huge plus. Make sure you add in Dolphin’s resort fee when comparing prices. Even with that it was about the same for me. They offer good military/gov employee, nurse, teacher and AAA discounts also. Check out the Swan/Dolphin thread. Lots of knowledgeable folks willing to answer questions.

Huge difference it’s like comparing apples to oranges. The only thing you won’t get is DME. All other Disney perks apply. I love staying in the Epcot area, we stay at YC/BC. Walking to Epcot and boat or walk to DHS- priceless! Plus you’ll be in a deluxe resort vs a Value.
If it’s same or close to same you wouldn’t have to ask me twice. Grab that rate before it changes!

I stayed at both hotels. The Dolphin is a nice hotel. It’s geared most to the convention crowds than families with little kids. Magical Express doesn’t go there so you have to factor the additional airport transportation costs and don’t forget to add in the resort fees. It’s a easy walk to both Epcot and HS. Pop with the Skyliner is also very easy to get to HS & Epcot.

I haven't stayed at the Dolphin, but have stayed at the Swan (precisely because it was actually cheaper than Pop at that time even with the resort fee). The only things you don't get that you would at Pop are Magical Express and the ability to charge to the room around the parks using your magic band. The Skyliner is definitely convenient at Pop - but that can back up at peak times. The ability to walk from the Swan/Dolphin to both Epcot and HS is well worth the trade offs, IMHO - especially if you're trying to get that 10am boarding pass for ROTR.

Can I ask the OP what was the rate or discount code for the Dolphin? I'm plugging in a few dates (first week of December,and then the first week of January) but not coming up with anything great.

Make sure you click on the total cost button - the reason I say this is I am doing a 13 night stay in 2021 and looked at dates in May. The price initially came up over 2000.00 less than what we had booked at Caribbean Beach. But the price you initially see is minus tax and resort fees. If I remember correctly the resort fee was around 27.00 per room, per day. Once I figured in tickets ( as that's what my package with Disney has ) it was really only a savings of 400.00. Still good, but not as great as I had thought it would be.

Now if you've seen it with taxes and resort fee and it's still significantly less there are some really good reasons to stay at Dolphin:
  • It is an upgraded experience overall than you would find at Pop.
  • I like that the rooms are all inside ( meaning you enter from inside the hotel ) vs. the outside entry at Pop.
  • More bars and lounges at Swan/Dolphin.
  • More table service restaurants in a very short walk than at Pop.
  • Rooms are slightly larger at Dolphin.
  • Dolphin/Swan are known for their Heavenly Beds.
  • Walking distance to Epcot, Hollywood Studios and Fantasia Gardens.

I've stayed at both and I don't think you'd be disappointed in either but Dolphin is more of a Deluxe resort so it has more to offer than Pop.

We are looking at a short post-Christmas tripe for 4 days. We are booked at Pop. Out of curiosity, I saw an offer from Dolphin and plugged in our dates and the hotel cost is basically the same. (I am also assuming Disney will not update any post-Christmas discounts). I am not familiar at all with the Dolphin and wanted to get some feedback on Pop v. Dolphin. We are flying in and out, and I did read where Dolphin does not provide Magical Express. Any thoughts, guidance, or opinions? Two years ago we stayed at the Hilton, and after that trip, I promised I would never stay off-site again. I know Dolphin is a little different, but are there any small perks I am missing by staying at Pop. Also, I would normally say the room and resort is not a huge concern since our main concern is parks (HS x2, Epcot, and MK this trip), but with everything going on, it may matter slightly more this trip. Is this really a no-brainer? Thank you for any help or opinions.
We are staying that the Dolphin again this Thanksgiving week. We have stayed there 3-4 times and it is one of my favorite resorts. You can walk to Disney Studios/Epcot or take the boat. It's right behind the Boardwalk so location is great. Their beds are sooo comfy. Also look for AAA prices. You do not get the free magic bands staying at the Swan or Dolphin, but I have them from past trips so will just link my old ones....no big deal.

We are heading to Dolphin on Friday! got a rate of $109...plus taxes and resort fee. It was the AAA rate.

Can I ask the OP what was the rate or discount code for the Dolphin? I'm plugging in a few dates (first week of December,and then the first week of January) but not coming up with anything great.
Usually the discount rate for teachers, military, etc is the same as the govt rate, so click that option to see what it is. I've used both. I;ve stayed at both and would choose Swan and Dolphin over Pop any day. I use my old Magic Bands, and I'm ok with paying meals with a card or Iphone. The location cannot be beat!

I am going to change my answer slightly. With the new less desirable bus situation at the Swan and Dolphin I would stay there, but rent a car.

Thanks to each of you that responded. We ended up switching to the Dolphin. We were able to get a standard room for basically the same we were paying at Pop.12/26 -12/30. I am really excited about the short distance to HS and Epcot. I am nervous about Dolphin though, not knowing much about what to expect other than what I am reading. We ended up only having a standard room as an option bc no resort views were available. (Is resort or certain room options a must have for you Dolphin frequenters) Our only experience with a “non Disney” resort was a few years ago when we stayed at the Hilton on property. We did not like the transportation and the feeling of being of not necessarily being on site. I said after that, I would always stay on site at a Disney resort.

Thanks to each of you that responded. We ended up switching to the Dolphin. We were able to get a standard room for basically the same we were paying at Pop.12/26 -12/30. I am really excited about the short distance to HS and Epcot. I am nervous about Dolphin though, not knowing much about what to expect other than what I am reading. We ended up only having a standard room as an option bc no resort views were available. (Is resort or certain room options a must have for you Dolphin frequenters) Our only experience with a “non Disney” resort was a few years ago when we stayed at the Hilton on property. We did not like the transportation and the feeling of being of not necessarily being on site. I said after that, I would always stay on site at a Disney resort.
I’ve stayed at both Swan & Dolphin and it’s my favorite Epcot area resort. The only thing I miss was using the magic band to charge back to the resort. But the pros (close proximity to two parks, great dining, COMFY beds, beautiful rooms) made up for that.

We stayed at Doubletree one time and swore never to stay off site again either. At the Dolphin, you’ll never feel like you are off site! It is fantastic!!

I am going to change my answer slightly. With the new less desirable bus situation at the Swan and Dolphin I would stay there, but rent a car.
Nothing wrong with renting a car but I'm not sure how a rental car negates changes in bus service. S/D, in a week or so, will gave some boat service to DHS and EOCOT as Disney resorts. Charter bus stop at AK is further back the Disney bus stops but parking lot trams aren't running. Walking distance from your car could be longer. Driving to MK gets you to TTC and your walk could be longer then the walk from the bus stop.

That said bus service can be spotty, even using Disney buses. Renting a car makes sense, but I don't think it solves issues with changes in bus service

There is also a parking fee at the Dolphin if you rent a car.
also, to answer your question, I don’t really care about the room view. I’m not in it very often.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter