Points for Cruise Can Be Worth It

gscott8075

DVC Owner 2001 -2019
Hi all,

I know this has been a hot topic. I have been going back on forth on points or cash for our upcoming cruise.

I went with points for adults and cash for kids.

Reason: DVC child's price was $174 LESS per child than DCL. DVC quoted $629 for kids / DCL quoted $803. So, here is how I justified my use of points on our upcoming June 15 cruise which I booked today...

June 15 - Cruise Only
2 adults, 2 kids
Cat 8

DCL Cash price $4900
DVC price $1258 + $75 = $1333 + 370 points

Cash savings $3567 = $9.64 per point

When you first look at it in regular season, it is a low $$ per point. ($1550 for adult versus 185 points) However, the lower rate for the kids makes a big difference and we almost hit that $10 sweet spot.)

And, after pushing the issue, we secured our Castaway Club credit (MS clerk was unaware that it was offered again!)

Anyway, this is my story, and I am sticking to it!!!

This works for a room that is usually not discounted like Cat 4 or 5 but not nearly as well for a lower level cabin. I hope you enjoy your trip, sounds like a lot of fun.

About a week ago I also used points to book a cruise for my husband and myself and paid cash for our son for March 2002. My husband really didn't want me to use points, but when we had to cancel our August 2001 trip we realized we would not be using any points this year and in Dec. would have 440 points, so I went for it. I know we are going to have a great time and today I paid my credit card bill for son's part of trip, what a great feeling to have it all taken care of. So I agree, normally I wouldn't have used points this way but this time it worked for us.

Cruises in the summer have never been discounted. I agree, you have to be careful the rest of the year.

I am just now in the process of researching the "points vs. cash" for the cruise. We are hoping to go next summer. Do they offer DVC discounts on summer cruising. We are 5-- 2 adults, 3 DD's.

Any info would be appreciated. I put a thread on the cruise board adn hope to get some info.

There have not been discounts on summer cruises. Dean pointed out that on a dollar valuation points do not make sense some of the time when there are big discounts.

During regular and peak, it can make sense. DVC and DCL quoted the same adult cash price. It was the kid price that was $180 less and put it over the top for me.

When I researched this, the availability of relatively deep early booking discounts (which are as far as I know available in all seasons) made cash a much, much better deal. Also, DCL has been running promotions for "kids fly free" if you book with cash--another perk not available with our points. That said, we expect to use our points for a cruise in 2003 (if we can still afford it when the point charts come out!)

My specifics were more to the room discounts and I haven't looked into the cruises that much. Most cruises have an early booking discount of around 25% and there have been specials for summer for FL residents, don't know about other discounts in summer. And with all of the new ships though, I think we can expect some type of specials or discounts on a consistent basis, even for DCL. For cruises though, one must compare to the cruise industry, not just DCL. $3000 or less will get you a room for 2 adults/2 children during summer on top ships and frequently with a ship credit and/or some other goodies, the price drops to around $2000 or a little more for off season.

One can manipulate this arguement anyway you want by choosing good or bad examples on both sides of the issue. If one is going to go to WDW at Xmas or Easter every year and stay on property in a Deluxe regardless, that is difference than someone else who would be just as happy with a moderate or even someone that would stay at Days Inn Suites.

I think the situation where using the points do not make sense is the norm, at least when looked at financially. Some just want to know they have it paid for and planned DVC as their vacation regardless and that is ok.

Dean, you are correct.

DCL offers "early booking" on the regular season cruises. They have not offered any Fall Fantasy or other type promotions for the main season.

JUNE
DCL Adult price - 1599
DVC Adult price - 1549

DCL kids price - 803 (no early booking)
DVC kids price - 679 (no early booking)

You are right, there are many cruise lines to choose from. And, my family has made it loud and clear that they want to cruise DCL only. So, if I can hit $10 per point, it seems to have enough value to warrant using points this time around. Of course, based on DC comments, the cruise might be 600 points per person next time!!

We did the 3 night cruise with only 2 months advance notice in February. We did the whole thing on points because that's why I purchased the DVC.

We are waiting to book until our 11-month window for next August and have also done the math. Wife and I will cruise on pts and kids we'll pay cash. I got a mailing regarding Castaway Club credit since we cruised in June. Was the amount of the credit $200 (shipboard) and was there a code or can we simply ask for it and they will verify that we are Castaway members?

. For cruises though, one must compare to the cruise industry, not just DCL. $3000 or less will get you a room for 2 adults/2 children during summer on top ships and frequently with a ship credit and/or some other goodies, the price drops to around $2000 or a little more for off season.

You forgot to mention what DAY cruise it is Dean. Are you talking about a 4,5,or 7 day cruise. I don't believe you can find a 7 day cruise for $3000 now, in the summer. I have reserched this since last year, and it ain't so. I went on the 4 day cruise for around $3500, based on DVC points. Ok, say I get a 25% discount, that is then $2600, based on your quote. This is only a 4 day cruise as well.
Another big factor you are missing is FOOD IS INCLUDED!! This alone would make the points for the cruise worth it, if they don't go crazy with the points years from now, if they do, it will not be worth it, but for now, I feel it is the best value outside of the WDW resorts. JMHO.......
deerh

You forgot to mention what DAY cruise it is Dean. Are you talking about a 4,5,or 7 day cruise. I don't believe you can find a 7 day cruise for $3000 now, in the summer. I have reserched this since last year, and it ain't so. I went on the 4 day cruise for around $3500, based on DVC points. Ok, say I get a 25% discount, that is then $2600, based on your quote. This is only a 4 day cruise as well.
Another big factor you are missing is FOOD IS INCLUDED!! This alone would make the points for the cruise worth it, if they don't go crazy with the points years from now, if they do, it will not be worth it, but for now, I feel it is the best value outside of the WDW resorts.
I suspect you are thinking within a box, the Disney box. It sounds like you are only looking at the DCL prices. One can get a cruise for as little as $519 pp during the fall and around $759 pp in the summer on quality cruises but not DCL. Sure, you may not get 4th of July but certainly during the summer in June and August. Obviously some cruises and cruise companies will be more expensive than others. Port taxes and the like need to be added as I believe they are with DCL as well. This is for 7 day cruises, probably the minimum length I'll ever discuss, at least seriously. Room service and quality of food may vary. If you cut out Carnival, which I personally would, you're still at $629 for fall and about $859 for summer. All of these prices are for the inside, lowest or near lowest cabin. Sometimes they even have specials where kids are free are cheaper, but regardless, the child and extra person rate for the other cruises is also significantly less than DCL.

Food is included on essentially all cruises so this is irrelevent. True compared to a DVC or DC stay, one must factor in food but since this is the industry standard, all you need to do is decide whether cruising is a value, THEN decide what cruise best fits your needs.

I was simply pointing out that if one wants to compare prices, one must at least consider what value you are getting. If one wants to go on DCL at any cost, that is fine and well within their rights. Others may find paying almost double for something that may not even be better at all, is not what they want. I can guarantee you that DCL is not twice as good as Holland America, RCCL and Princess. In fact, many would rather be on those lines than DCL. I'd love to go on a DCL cruise and may someday but I would have to chose RCCL, HA or Princess for the same basic itenarary and quality of ship if they were cheaper than DCL. I would likely decline a free cruise on Carnival.

One can get a cruise for as little as $519 pp during the fall and around $759 pp in the summer on quality cruises but not DCL. Sure, you may not get 4th of July but certainly during the summer in June and August.

I believe Dean and I are on a different page. I was quoting a cat 6 vernadah view with a vernadah view on other cruise lines. NOT inside cabin to inside cabin. True, you can get prices that low, but not a vernadah view. If you can find a view like that with a 7 day cruise and prices that low in summer, Please let me know, I will book it tomorrow. So, with that in mind, you cannot find a 7 day cruise, ver. view in summer for $3000. Sorry, I was quoting apples to apples on the cruise. I have gone on Carnival and RCCL, and DCL, and they all have good cruises, but RCCL and DCL are close to the same. Carnival is in a different league, and good deals can be had throught AAA, or other places. Even the recent brochure price (I know, you won't pay that) have gone up at Carnival 7 day to $999\child!! So only you can decide if the cruise is a good value or not.......
deerh

Dean,

I think that everything we use points for is relative to the "Disney box".

Who would pay $250 for a studio at the Boardwalk if it was located in Kissimee or Peoria? No one. It would not be worth it.
When I spend 22 points to spend in a one br in OKW, I am comparing it to the cash price of OKW, not some suite outside the resort.

The Disney ships are truly magnificent and the rooms - outside or inside - are superior to most other cruise lines. There is no comparson between an RCCL stateroom and a Disney stateroom.

All of us are paying for the Disney name or the Disney reputation.

I want to go on a Disney cruise. So, it is only reasonable to compare it to Disney pricing. $9.70 per point appears to be a reasonable amount to secure for using points outside the five resorts.

Originally posted by gscott8075
I think that everything we use points for is relative to the "Disney box".

Who would pay $250 for a studio at the Boardwalk if it was located in Kissimee or Peoria? No one. It would not be worth it.
When I spend 22 points to spend in a one br in OKW, I am comparing it to the cash price of OKW, not some suite outside the resort.
That may be the only choices for you but not for everyone. I'd recommend anyone considering using DVC or buying DVC points to decide what's important to them. Actually, I would never pay that much for a BW studio, maybe about half that. If you are set on DCL, then just compare points to cash. There is however a whole world out there and others may want to look at it. When comparing cruises, VB or HH; it's a little different than comparing WDW resorts to off property Orlando resorts. I haven't been on DCL so can't talk to the comparision of the staterooms. I would be very surprised if there was a signficant difference in quality, etc comparing the same size and level of staterooms between RCCL and DCL, but since you've been on both, I'll take your word for it IF YOU STAYED IN SIMILAR CABINS. I have talked to many people that have been on both and many actually preferred not to be on DCL because of all of the kids activities and oreintation, othrs have said it wasn't a problem. Many of the early DCL cruises complained of quality and workmanship problems.

Just pointing out there are other ways to look at it, your choices are purely your own.

Before purchasing DVC this past spring, I knew that I wanted to take my family of four on a cruise next Feb. Comparing DCL cabins to RCCL cabins in my research, The DCL cabins are SO MUCH BIGGER. There is no way that I could comfortably fit us into 1 cabin on RCCL - I would have had to do 2 adjoining (and then pay full fare for the kids). On DCL, the category 6 with verandah, gives DH and I a queen bed, the pull-out sofa for DD, and the flip down berth for DS. AND a verandah for us to sit out on after the kids go to sleep! That's priceless.

Some of the previous posts also said that the child cash rate was better through DVC than trying to book direct. This is what I found also. So we are doing points for the adults and cash for the kids. We can't wait!

Originally posted by danjulia
Before purchasing DVC this past spring, I knew that I wanted to take my family of four on a cruise next Feb. Comparing DCL cabins to RCCL cabins in my research, The DCL cabins are SO MUCH BIGGER.
That may be, I didn't think it was for the basic and deluxe inside and outside cabins. Cruises tend to discount the lower cabins far more than the upper ones and if there is a special niche like the sleep 5 Family for DVC; the comparisons will be different. I love DVC and I'm sure I'd love DCL but I must add a dose of reality at times for those situations where people only think about Disney and not at least consider the other options.

Have a great trip and let us know how it goes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter