Please HELP!!! OKW vs. WL

followme2disney

Mouseketeer
Please help me decide between OKW studio (AEF $184) and WL standard view (AXA $149 - unable to get AEF $139 for my time there). I have already booked WL and was very excited about it but then I find OKW for this cheap rate and I now can't decide. I have never stayed at either and have always wanted to stay at both. Please help...any opinions or information would be greatly appreciated.

I have stayed at both - we're DVC members at VWL. THey are totally different resorts. Wilderness Lodge's lobby is breathtaking - more of a resort with room-service, valet, etc. On the lake - the electric light parade at night...the pool has a slide. OKW is more of an upscale condo community. Park at your door, nice pools but no slides - food choices are more limited. But in a studio you'll get a kitchenette which is nice - and the furnishings and decor are a bit higher quality than the WL. The mattresses at OKW are much more comfortable than any onsite hotel I've been to. (They have recently been replaced). OKW is a really lovely resort - it just depends if you want more of a "Disney" place or not. If you really like the themed thing - go with WL - if you have kids I think they would like WL better - but if you want a really nice, more peaceful kind of resort, OKW is great. You really can't go wrong with either...

I am a HUGE fan of the Wilderness Lodge..you will love it! My brother was at OKW several years ago, and we spent time visitng him there, so I am familiar with that resort also. I just think that the Lodge is spectacular...it is beautiful and relaxing but also more accesible to the parks. You have just a water launch over to MK. You are able to take the walking or bike trail over to Ft. Wilderness..which is great fun also. If you have any Hoop Dee Doo reservations at Pioneer Hall...also just the boat Launch over there to. Bus to the other parks..we haven't had any complaints with the busses. OKW is beautiful, but sort of removed from things disney, in my opinion. It has it's own golf course if that is of interest to you.
Of course, in the Lodge, all of your dining and lobby and room are all in one unit...so if it is a rainy day...your no walking anywhere in the bad weather just to get a bite to eat. I personally like having the beautiful lobby...you've just got to see it..to sit and people watch in. Go for the lodge...you won't regret it..!

I have to tell you I love Wilderness Lodge but for the money the rooms are rather small in my opinion. I never have stayed at OKW so I really can't help you out.

Have seen the studio room of OKW because it is basically the 2nd bedroom if you get the two bedroom unit(which is what my brother had). I suppose you can get the measurements...I think birmbaums book has them. Anyway..it is the standard. 2 queen size beds bath...and I guess you prob. get a microwave. I guess you have to think if you are really gonna make use of that? We always just hit the Roaring Forks(at the Lodge.great for a quick bite, and open late..sometimes 24hrs).
I don't know...just feel more a part of the magic at the Lodge, but would consider OKW if I needed something larger for extended family to stay together but not just for immediate family. In fact, in may we are going with our two kids(11 and 15) and my older son is comming with his girlfriend, and my mom is comming also.
We booked three rooms at the Lodge,we love it

The studio at OKW is slightly larger than the WL room (376 vs. 340 sq. ft). You get two queen beds and a patio or balcony. The kitchenette has a refrigerator, wet bar, microwave, coffeemaker and toaster.

Not to throw something else into the mix --- but have you considered a studio at VWL? You might see if they have any rates available there.

OKW is nice for quiet, I would pick WL for being in the middle of things. We stayed for a week at OKW in 2001, and once we got back to our villa, it seemed too much trouble to board the bus and go back to the park. At WL you could walk/bike to FW to watch movie, campfire, etc., or ride the boat back to MK or visit another MK resort with little effort. I'd also try the VWL alternative. That's my plan for our next weeklong stay!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter