Got it! Friend misunderstood lack of Democrats on election ballot/Nebraska (Not for political debate

Status
Not open for further replies.
California does it that way for all statewide elected offices, both houses of the state legislature, and all Congressional elections. Candidates still have their party listed on the ballot..

They CAN have a party preference, but they don't HAVE to. In the Insurance Commissioner's Race in November we had a Democrat versus a No Party Preference.
https://vote.sos.ca.gov/returns/insurance-commissioner

They CAN have a party preference, but they don't HAVE to. In the Insurance Commissioner's Race in November we had a Democrat versus a No Party Preference.
https://vote.sos.ca.gov/returns/insurance-commissioner

Sure. I get that there are independents running for office. However, they have to go through the primaries first. At least in Nebraska their legislature is required to be a nonpartisan listing. I think the only race in California like that was the Superintendent of Public Instruction.

There's no conspiracy, the democrats just don't run there because there's zero chance of them being elected so it's a waste of time.

I'm in Texas and the county I live in has a few democrats that will run in the local elections but none have been elected for I don't know how long. 20 years maybe?

If you want to vote for a democrat then don't move to an area where none of them run for office. This happens to both sides in various areas of the country.

There's no conspiracy, the democrats just don't run there because there's zero chance of them being elected so it's a waste of time.

But there was democrats running on the ballot. It seems like the OP didn't want to hear from anyone from Nebraska that actually voted in the election.

This is the ballot from the county the OP said there was no democrats listed on the ballot, the post is #112. You can clearly see that there are both listed on the ballot, there were a couple of heated battles in the state.

But there was democrats running on the ballot. It seems like the OP didn't want to hear from anyone from Nebraska that actually voted in the election.

This is the ballot from the county the OP said there was no democrats listed on the ballot, the post is #112. You can clearly see that there are both listed on the ballot, there were a couple of heated battles in the state.

Cool. You found it. I tried looking on the Sarpy County Elections website and they all said no sample ballots were available probably because the election was over. Looks like there were a lot of local elections where there can be a party preference, but nobody chose to oppose an incumbent. Also - it's not like my state where each name is allowed to have a job title attached to it, and possibly "incumbent".

OP here and I clearly stated in a previous post the misunderstanding with my friend and the ballot.

In Chicago there are rarely republicans on the ballot except for national elections There’s no chance of winning so why bother and spend the money.

I'm in Texas and the county I live in has a few democrats that will run in the local elections but none have been elected for I don't know how long. 20 years maybe?

If you want to vote for a democrat then don't move to an area where none of them run for office. This happens to both sides in various areas of the country.
Your last comment is ridiculous .
People have to move to places beyond their control. People tend to think things are the same in other places as their own. This is just a proven fact.

For instance. I live in NY. You ask a NY kid what the population of Jewish people they will not say the single digit percentage. Because they can’t conceive a world that dosemt have Jewish people... or that bed bath and beyond in Nebraska didn’t have any menorahs.

Not Jewish but I can still be shocked they didn’t have any. Just like I was surprised the voting was very different in Nebraska.
I did clear up before the misunderstanding about the ballot.
Peace
Kerri

Your last comment is ridiculous .
People have to move to places beyond their control. People tend to think things are the same in other places as their own. This is just a proven fact.

Unless you're a child, an invalid, in prison or in the military then where you move to is never beyond your control. If you don't like something about where you're looking at moving to then don't move there. There's nothing ridiculous about that. There are a lot of places that I wouldn't move to and nobody can make me move there because where I live is completely under my control.

The reason I wouldn't move there? Because I know that they are much different than where I live. If someone thinks that every place in the US is the same as where they live, well, I don't even know what to say about that.

Unless you're a child, an invalid, in prison or in the military then where you move to is never beyond your control. If you don't like something about where you're looking at moving to then don't move there. There's nothing ridiculous about that. There are a lot of places that I wouldn't move to and nobody can make me move there because where I live is completely under my control.

The reason I wouldn't move there? Because I know that they are much different than where I live. If someone thinks that every place in the US is the same as where they live, well, I don't even know what to say about that.
Ok I hear you o course their is choice.
My friend had free will of course. She is like me not much family. She got married had a child and her husband had a large family that lives in Omaha. They are a military family, so they have settled there after retirement.

They went to visit his family with her new baby and wanted the family and “suburbs “ to raise her family.

Yes she probably won’t stay there. But for he most part you don’t realize how slim and different other places are till you go there.
Peace

After switching parties (D to R) to run for Mayor in the early 21st century, Mr. Bloomberg became an Independent. Remained one until recently when he re-registered with the Democratic Party. He would in all likelihood, never run in a primary against our current President unless Mr. Trump changes his political affiliation back to Democrat.
Just curious, is it because he would never get the republican nomination?
Thanks

Nebraskan from Sarpy county here who was able to vote for some Democrats without writing them in. I am guessing your friend is putting a bunch of different political stories together into one confusing story. I am guessing that her comments about signatures may come from the man running for Governor as a Democrat, Bob Krist. Krist was a moderate Republican who wanted to run but knew he couldn't beat the incumbent Pete Ricketts in the primary so he switched to Independent. He hit a roadblock due to the number of signatures he'd need on his petition to get on the ballot as an Independent so he switched again to Democrat so he could get his name on here. His name was there and unfortunately, he lost.
https://www.military.com/underthera...ily-members-go-disney-thanks-gary-sinise.html

As for getting a "list of names to write in". Is it possible she is a member of the Suit Up Nebraska Facebook group? There was a lot of talk there amongst fellow Democrats about who would be good write-in names for the uncontested races. This was not mandated by anyone, just suggestions amongst political friends.

Now it is true that this is a very red state and it is very difficult for a Democrat to get much traction. There is some pretty bad gerrymandering in Sarpy County as well. So yes, it is more difficult for a Democrat, but in no way are they not allowed to run and/or have Democratic names on the ballots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter