• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Plantar Fasciitis?

I'm going to see a podiatrist next week, after buying multiple insoles (from footsmart.com) and new shoes, icing my feet, wearing night splints (so uncomfortable!), etc. I am still having pain. It's better than it was, but it's not good enough were I can walk around for more than 3 hours without being in intense pain. My doctor thinks I need the custom orthotics but they are so expensive and my insurance does not cover it. If that becomes the case, I know I can't afford it right now and will have to wait until I can put the money back for them. I'll see what happens at my next appointment...

I appreciate all the help in this thread though, it's come in very handy.

I have had PF now for years. I have tried so many different types of shoes styles of shoes, inserts, custom inserts, exercises, stretches, and the shots ( doctors told me to NEVER get them again they set off a cycling migraine that landed me in the hospital in the worst pain of my life for 3 days) I am in pain daily and walking is down right painful for me. I push through the pain daily just to get through the day. I do not know what next to try. My doctor too wont do surgery, wont give me anything for pain other than to tell me to take aleve (sp) Wish there was more they could do for this.

The orthotics I've been wearing for the last few years aren't working for me as well as they used to. I'm considering getting the Good Feet arch supports. I tried some out, and they feel like they would work well. I'm holding off for now because I'm in physical therapy for my ankle. Does anyone have any experience with Good Feet? My husband got some of their supports, and he likes them, but he has flat feet and I have very high arches.

For anyone here that has done all the treatments outlined here and says their Dr. won't do the surgery--SWITCH DOCTORS! And if they won't give you anything for pain then get a referral to a pain management Dr.

I had the surgery. It was not completely successful but it did help. I have a pretty bad case that is being quite stubborn but the surgery DID help. I think for most people it is a great last resort. I had surgery after nearly 2 years of most all the other treatments. I have also talked to several that had the surgery with 100% success.

I am currently in pain management and there are things you can take to help the pain that won't leave you :hippie: (at least most of the time).

My podiatrist (whom I love) had reached the end of the line after surgery and said there was no more he could do even though I was still in severe pain and unable to take more than a few steps. So with my PCP we decided to go to another Pod. This one has some different treatment views and I am now in a walking cast--one of those big black boots. It is making a huge difference in my quality of life. I can actually walk around! I couldn't do Disney--heck just a grocery trip is a bit much, but I am at least doing much more than I was.

Unfortunately I have also developed Tarsal Tunnel and so I am also now in a full time soft cast to hold my foot at the right angle. But it feels so much better that way. And this dr has said not to rule out the possibility of further surgery for both the PF and the Tarsal Tunnel. But that would be another year or so down the road. I am going to give the casting a long time to work.

Please don't be afraid to switch drs. I know that can be hard with some health plans, but all will usually allow a 2nd opinion. Get that 2nd opinion. Your life shouldn't be lived in pain if there are things you can do to fix it.

I have PF and find the Crocs flip flops are the worst thingt I can wear! I have many other Crocs that are great, however the flip flops are torture on my PF!

I have another appointment with my pod. in a few weeks, but he suggested fit flops for me. I've been wearing them for a little over a week now, though I don't see any difference in my PF the shoes haven't made things worse so for me that's good.

Sadly I am at the point where I think I have just gotten used to the pain, but I am one who will not take pain meds and I've done okay so far. My doctor did say because of my age (being young as far as the patients he normally sees) that he will not do surgery on me unless it is strictly a last resort.

My doctor seems to think a shoe with at least a 1 inch heel is going to help, that's why I'm wearing the fit flops. So we will see what happens, anyone had good results with fit flops or with just wearing shoes with a heel in general?

Ooops forgot, that was the first advice I got from my pod. and have followed it ever since. Just wish I could find somesort of watershoe with some support.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com
search for teva gamma pro. they have them for $30 right now. Its a discontinued shoe.

Its a water, kayak shoe. I use them in water aerobics, and put a dr shole arch support in there. the blue ones, with the red bottom. It gives my foot more support than other water shoes, not as supportive as a tennis shoe, but better than a sandle or those slip on water shoes. If you buy a pair of lock laces it then becomes easy to pull on and off the shoes.
http://www.locklaces.com/ordering.html
As the shoe laces that come with them become a pain to deal with when wet, and at first when we wore them we did water bikes for aerobics and those laces would come undone and get stuck in the pedals.

ETA: Don't worry about your age and riding in a wheelchair or ecv. At first I would just walk, and I would be in tons of pain after the first couple of hours of walking, and that would last for the entire trip, and weeks after the trip. My first wheelchair trip was a lot less painful, and it increases your enjoyment of the trip. Don't worry what people think around you, it is a big hurdle the first time you do the scooter or wheelchair, to mentally get over that fact. Have fun with it, just cause your in the chair doesn't mean you still can't have fun. Bring decorations mickey themed or whatever to spice up the chair to make it more fun. At christmas last year, I spotted a reindeer kit at the grocery store, the antlears and big red nose. They were such a hit, and made christmas in the world so much more fun. Instead of wondering why i was in the chair, it was where did your get the reindeer ears!!
Connie

I haven't read all the responses yet, are you doing the calf stretches and rubbing your arch on a tennis ball or a goose bumps ball.

Best of luck in relieving your heel pain.

I had done the stretching exercises but my podiatrist said not to do them anymore as stretching was exactly what he wanted me to stay away from because he felt as if the problem lies in the fact that I have what he calls over-stretched calfs (as well as the PF/tight arches).

The only thing he recommended I continue with is the frozen water bottle to ice my feet. My doctor is a self-proclaimed "out of the box" kind of doctor, but at this point since I've tried what seems to be the "normal" treatment I'm willing to try a little something different and see if it works.

I go back to my podiatrist just 10 days before I leave for Disney and his suggestion has been to try and walk for awhile and alternate that with a wheelchair, which if I'm not feeling some relief before I leave I will have to do it. I just feel like the wheelchair thing is really holding my family back and may end up being a problem in the end. I'll try it though, hopefully it'll be okay and I won't have to use it all the time.

I've had pf for a few years now, along with fibro & some disc issues. The only shoes I can manage any walking are birkenstocks. For wdw I use the a now discontinued model that had a cushioned heel set in the cork. Don't know what I'll do when I wear out the 5 pairs I've hunted for on ebay. Anything that flexes in the arch is killer & after trying at least 4 different rx orthotics, I've given up on that.

I manage daily life pretty well with birkies, stretching & ice. But not being able to wear any dress shoes are really depressing.

Yeah I probably shouldn't wear heels/pumps but when I dress up I still do. I can't wear them for terribly long without pain but I can deal with it for awhile. It's hard to give that up, but since I don't wear them the majority of the time I'm hoping I'm not doing more damage.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter