Planning on moving to San Diego - Insights?

As far as I know, homes are either built with mello roos attached or they aren't. Your realtor will know and you can specifically say that you don't want to see anything that has mello roos if you don't want that. Some people don't mind mello roos because it covers better schools, parks, etc. in a particular area. I wouldn't expect mello roos fees to go away completely. Any communities that are recently built in what was previously open land has a high chance of mello roos. It's rare for older communities to have them. If you love the home and it has mello roos, it may be easier to just think of that as part of the cost of the home and not additional taxes. Or, you can bypass all of that by telling your realtor not to show you anything that has mello roos, or association fees above a particular amount. The areas that you mentioned most likely have at least association fees.

Good advice - thanks! Will just have to see what the complete picture/cost is.

Hello! I currently live in San Diego, grew up in Poway before moving to Mira Mesa, which is right next to scripps ranch, so I mingled with the kids from that nieghborhood quite a lot while I was in highschool. It wasn't until recently that moved a bit further south. So I'm fairly qualified to answer some of your questions!!

But I need some information from you.
- what is your budget?
- where are you planning to work?

We both work remotely so commute time is not an issue. We've been checking out houses (online) and the areas mentioned so far ... we can find houses within our budget. We've visited San Diego numerous times but never really went towards the inland side so not sure how it's like. We've stayed around Carmel Valley area before so have a better idea what the area is like.

We both work remotely so commute time is not an issue. We've been checking out houses (online) and the areas mentioned so far ... we can find houses within our budget. We've visited San Diego numerous times but never really went towards the inland side so not sure how it's like. We've stayed around Carmel Valley area before so have a better idea what the area is like.

Alright cool, so you already know what your getting into. Personally from growing up and going to school in the two different areas, I'd go with Poway. It really is one of the better districts in the county and in definitely feel like the education was better. The only drawback is if your not white or asian, your kids will be singled out by other students. Im mexican, and got picked on a lot for it, since there was literally less than 10 hispanic students during my entire education through elementary and middle school. Kids are ruthless with each other. As a community though, I loved it and Poway set my standards for where I want to settle down. Scripps ranch definitely has some more affluent nieghborhoods and just a bit more diversity at the highschool since kids are bused in from different areas, but I remember their highschool had a drug problem when I in highschool 10 years ago.

Alright cool, so you already know what your getting into. Personally from growing up and going to school in the two different areas, I'd go with Poway. It really is one of the better districts in the county and in definitely feel like the education was better. The only drawback is if your not white or asian, your kids will be singled out by other students. Im mexican, and got picked on a lot for it, since there was literally less than 10 hispanic students during my entire education through elementary and middle school. Kids are ruthless with each other. As a community though, I loved it and Poway set my standards for where I want to settle down. Scripps ranch definitely has some more affluent nieghborhoods and just a bit more diversity at the highschool since kids are bused in from different areas, but I remember their highschool had a drug problem when I in highschool 10 years ago.

Thanks!!! I'm sorry to hear about your experience at school but thank you for sharing. This type of insight is really helpful... can't get it from just reading the stats online - appreciate it.

OP since you've been in east bay commute, really anything in San Diego is better than that since not crossing bridges or down 680/880. SD is like a very compacted Bay Area with every mile from inland jumping 5 degrees in summer heat. By the time you're in Poway along the 15 corridor, it's summers like central valley hot.

Think of the 56 in SD as the 580 out to Tracy. Carmel valley is essentially the Tri-City valley area --matching climate, history, and populace quite well. Old parts DelMar and Old CV/Rancho Santa Fe = ruby hills, Blackhawk. New Carmel Valley/Pacific Highlands = Dublin new pleasanton/livermore.

Pricing just about the same for Trivalley too with pockets of neighborhoods better than others right next door.

OP since you've been in east bay commute, really anything in San Diego is better than that since not crossing bridges or down 680/880. SD is like a very compacted Bay Area with every mile from inland jumping 5 degrees in summer heat. By the time you're in Poway along the 15 corridor, it's summers like central valley hot.

Think of the 56 in SD as the 580 out to Tracy. Carmel valley is essentially the Tri-City valley area --matching climate, history, and populace quite well. Old parts DelMar and Old CV/Rancho Santa Fe = ruby hills, Blackhawk. New Carmel Valley/Pacific Highlands = Dublin new pleasanton/livermore.

Pricing just about the same for Trivalley too with pockets of neighborhoods better than others right next door.

This is super helpful - thank you!!! Yah, we used to live in Danville and I've commuted to both SF and to Walnut Creek.

Where's "new" Carmel Valley vs "old" Carmel Valley? I'm assuming "new" expanded upon the "old".

parts of CV has been around for awhile. Neighborhoods closer to I5 can be as old as 70s-80s. Most built late 90s-2000s. PHR is new from 2012+ Really kind of like Danville but no central hub like old Danville. There's Del Mar Highlands 'old' and across the street brand new One Paseo as the shopping corner of CV--even has a Tesla supercharger for kicks :)

If you liked Danville; you'll find a spot somewhere in CV/PHR to like both demographically and weather wise and pricewise. Distances to most things in SD from CV is 15-35minutes--really nice and central suburbia.

parts of CV has been around for awhile. Neighborhoods closer to I5 can be as old as 70s-80s. Most built late 90s-2000s. PHR is new from 2012+ Really kind of like Danville but no central hub like old Danville. There's Del Mar Highlands 'old' and across the street brand new One Paseo as the shopping corner of CV--even has a Tesla supercharger for kicks :)

If you liked Danville; you'll find a spot somewhere in CV/PHR to like both demographically and weather wise and pricewise. Distances to most things in SD from CV is 15-35minutes--really nice and central suburbia.

Thank you so much!! Really appreciate this!

Thanks for all the input so far!! This also gives me more neighborhoods to research. We're hoping the stay-at-home order gets lifted by February so we can come check out the different areas!
The way the order is setup, it is unlikely to be lifted before April or May. You can still go and check things out, just know that it is harder to find public restrooms is the biggest issue, second biggest is you may have to rely on takeout. Of course attractions like the Zoo, SeaWorld, etc. are closed as well, although SeaWorld is doing a drive through event. For hotels, you will need to check with each hotel, but for purposes of relocation should be one of the allowed reasons (just check with the hotel directly).

Just a heads up that HOAs in San Diego are particularly nasty, so you should avoid them like the plague.

The way the order is setup, it is unlikely to be lifted before April or May. You can still go and check things out, just know that it is harder to find public restrooms is the biggest issue, second biggest is you may have to rely on takeout. Of course attractions like the Zoo, SeaWorld, etc. are closed as well, although SeaWorld is doing a drive through event. For hotels, you will need to check with each hotel, but for purposes of relocation should be one of the allowed reasons (just check with the hotel directly).

Just a heads up that HOAs in San Diego are particularly nasty, so you should avoid them like the plague.

Thanks!! Yah, we're not looking to do the attractions so we're not worried about those. We just want to check out the neighborhoods and if able, just walk on the beach!

Thanks for the warning on HOAs. Just curious... what makes them so bad?

Thanks!! Yah, we're not looking to do the attractions so we're not worried about those. We just want to check out the neighborhoods and if able, just walk on the beach!

You lived in East bay, right? -- think Blackhawk and Ruby hills. HOAs there is can be like Seinfeld's Soup Nazi

I think it really depends on the HOA, we’ve never had any major issues. They can get a little testy about leaving trash cans out and keeping front yards nice, but it’s nothing crazy in my experience. We live further south than than montreid though I think, so maybe it’s more of an issue up there.

Most HOAs will dictate the color of paint you can use, not let you leave your car parked overnight in your driveway (must go in the garage), some won't even allow cars parked on the street overnight unless they are visitors with parking permits that you had to have issued prior to the staying over. If anything is slightly off, they will fine you, really HOAs are a bad idea in general, but even worse in San Diego.

Most HOAs will dictate the color of paint you can use, not let you leave your car parked overnight in your driveway (must go in the garage), some won't even allow cars parked on the street overnight unless they are visitors with parking permits that you had to have issued prior to the staying over. If anything is slightly off, they will fine you, really HOAs are a bad idea in general, but even worse in San Diego.

Again this must depend on area/community. Some of the condo communities here do have parking rules like that, because there is very limited parking, but the single family home communities do not.

The paint color is usually that you should be using the original color for your home, as that’s how the community was designed.

It’s definitely a good idea to look into exactly that the HOA entails in any community you’re buying in, though.

Just looping back to thank everyone again for offering various insights/tips. We are in San Diego now to check out the neighborhoods and with the feedback I got here... we were also able to keep our eye out for certain things and also ask specific questions to the realtor. Thank you!! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter