Planning Aulani: How much $$ would you take?

ML_LovesDisney

DIS Veteran
Hi all, I am curious about cost of an Aulani vacation. I know we won't go for another 2 years but I'm wondering exactly how much I should target to save up! It seems VERY expensive based on what other people have been posting about their trips. I've never been to Hawaii and in order to convince DH I must save up the costs before hand :) Any insight is appreciated, we would probably go 10 days/9 nights. I would need money for rental car, food, souvenirs, possibly spa treatments :)

Thanks! :goodvibes

Triple your expenses for dining at WDW based on the menus I've been seeing. If you are mainly eating in the room or off property, double the food expense. Souvenirs might be double off property, triple at Aulani. I would think the excursions are pretty high too, especially at Aulani. But nothing is cheap on the islands.

We (DW and I) are booked for April, 2012 and we have a budgeted $2,000 for food, drinks and entertainment..... $1,000 for sight seeing.

This does not include our airfare (still looking) from the east coast or our rental car.

We plan to spend a lot of time at the resort, but we will be eating mostly off site. While food is expensive in Hawaii, Disney prices are outrageous. :sad2:

Our last vacation to Hawaii was 3 months ago. Taking resort costs out, we spent $5000 for a week, 2 adults.

If you are planning on cooking in your villa I would say the food prices at Target were about the same as what we are used to at home. We got a pizza last night from a local place and it was $20 for a 19" pie. More than at home but not outrageous.

If you are planning on renting a car you can do a lot of stuff for free on the island. We went to Pearl Harbor yesterday and then drove around the island to the North Shore. We had lunch at a shrimp truck ($30 for two) and had shaved ice ($6 for two). So for less than $40 we had a great day of sight seeing.

We had burgers for lunch the other day from the ABC store across the street from Aulani. A pretty big burger and fries was $8.

So there are plenty of reasonable food option but you just have to travel to get to them.

If you are planning on cooking in your villa I would say the food prices at Target were about the same as what we are used to at home. We got a pizza last night from a local place and it was $20 for a 19" pie. More than at home but not outrageous.

If you are planning on renting a car you can do a lot of stuff for free on the island. We went to Pearl Harbor yesterday and then drove around the island to the North Shore. We had lunch at a shrimp truck ($30 for two) and had shaved ice ($6 for two). So for less than $40 we had a great day of sight seeing.

We had burgers for lunch the other day from the ABC store across the street from Aulani. A pretty big burger and fries was $8.

So there are plenty of reasonable food option but you just have to travel to get to them.

Thanks for this info! This is probably the route we'd go. Definitley need a car

For souvenirs you can go to the Aloha Stadium Flea Market. I've never been (but might try it in Feb.) but I've heard the prices are a lot cheaper than in Waikiki, plus you could spend 1/2 a day just checking it out.

Riding around to the North Shore, stopping at the different beaches, climbing Diamond Head. All are free/inexpensive things to do.

We got a pizza last night from a local place and it was $20 for a 19" pie. More than at home but not outrageous.

Thanks for the heads up on these prices!:thumbsup2
Haven't been to Aulani yet, but our past Hawaii trips we eat a lot of salad and fruit in the room and have one regular meal a day. We have a nicer upscale dinner once or twice on a 8-10 day stay.

Looking forward to our December trip to Aulani!:cool1:

A friend of mine just got back and she said that the refillable mugs were $32.99 Her family didn't buy them.

we went this summer. Oahu and Maui for 5 days each. (free hotel and air..not Aulani because it wasnt open yet.)

we spent with rental cars, food for 5 people...excursions, etc. around 4K.. we went out to eat every day and night --we didnt have a kitchen etc.

The best places in the islands to get souvenirs to bring back are at (drum-roll, please) - Walmart. Followed closely by KMart, Sam's Clubs, and Costco. Same stuff as the tourist shops, way less expensive.

There's a Costco in Ko Olina - we'll plan on going there in October when we're going to Aulani. And if you're island hopping, there's a Walmart in Kona that has really good prices for souvenir stuff. I'm assuming there's a Walmart some place around Honolulu.

HI, I mean HI isn't as expensive as people may think. As generic as it may sound, it really depends on what you want to do. Aulani has a lot to do without spending too much money like the spectacular pool and also the kids club which is modeled after DCL if you ever cruised.

Honestly for a 2 week period including food, activities and car: $3,000 will give you a good time. If you are drinkers add another $500. Keep in mind that you will not always be eating on property or out all the time. Save some money by cooking at least 1 or 2 meals a day and breakfast being the easiest to prepare. There are many places to eat within 5 miles or across the street that will not break your bank.

As far as attractions it depends on how extravagant you want to get but looking at the age of your little ones that may save you money on doing the crazy stuff like para sailing. I would recommend the Polynesian Cultural Center which is an all day event/village. The cost I think ranges from $40-60 pp I think. Attractions like the Arizona Memorial and Waikiki beach are free. Hanama Bay where you can snorkel is very nominal in terms of fees.

What really breaks you, like any vacation, is the the cost of buying souvenirs! Trust me the store in Aulani will break you! Sounds like you are very excited. If you have any specific questions please feel free to ask.

The best places in the islands to get souvenirs to bring back are at (drum-roll, please) - Walmart. Followed closely by KMart, Sam's Clubs, and Costco. Same stuff as the tourist shops, way less expensive.

There's a Costco in Ko Olina - we'll plan on going there in October when we're going to Aulani. And if you're island hopping, there's a Walmart in Kona that has really good prices for souvenir stuff. I'm assuming there's a Walmart some place around Honolulu.

Living here, you are sooo true! When I go to Mexico on DCL we go to Walmart and get our souvenirs. Costco has the best prices for macademia nuts. Walmart however has the best prices for individual packages such as chocolate covered mac nuts.

The swap meet at Aloha stadium is the best place to buy t-shirts. It's fun to walk around as well because they have so many different things. My suggestion is to hydrate and walk around first scoping out what looks interesting and then your second round buy from the stands that had the lowest price. You can haggle if you buy more than one item. I ate my first coconut juice and "meat" from the shell at the swap meet and the place I had it was $1 cheaper than any other stand there. :cool1:

HI, I mean HI isn't as expensive as people may think. As generic as it may sound, it really depends on what you want to do. Aulani has a lot to do without spending too much money like the spectacular pool and also the kids club which is modeled after DCL if you ever cruised.

Honestly for a 2 week period including food, activities and car: $3,000 will give you a good time. If you are drinkers add another $500. Keep in mind that you will not always be eating on property or out all the time. Save some money by cooking at least 1 or 2 meals a day and breakfast being the easiest to prepare. There are many places to eat within 5 miles or across the street that will not break your bank.

As far as attractions it depends on how extravagant you want to get but looking at the age of your little ones that may save you money on doing the crazy stuff like para sailing. I would recommend the Polynesian Cultural Center which is an all day event/village. The cost I think ranges from $40-60 pp I think. Attractions like the Arizona Memorial and Waikiki beach are free. Hanama Bay where you can snorkel is very nominal in terms of fees.

What really breaks you, like any vacation, is the the cost of buying souvenirs! Trust me the store in Aulani will break you! Sounds like you are very excited. If you have any specific questions please feel free to ask.
I agree with your red highlighted part, but I think it is a mistake to go to Hawaii and stay only at your resort.
Totally agree with the blue part as well. I would not want to eat out 3 times a day anywhere, much less Hawaii. Besides, the point of a timeshare is that it is like a home where you prepare your own meals.
I totally agree about the PCC if you have children! Great place for adults who have never learned about the Poly culture too. It's definitely worth at least a one time visit. All of the historic National Park areas are free, and WELL worth the time it takes to do them. They have all been renovated recently as well. Two other inexpensive options that we enjoy are the Palace, and The Bishop Museum. Sea Life Park is a nice aquarium as well, and hiking to the top of Diamond Head is a must! That one is free too and a lot of fun. I think kids in the 8-10 range would LOVE that!

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest