Planning a week-long “encore” family trip for April—what should our rest days and park schedule be?

Jen81NYC

Mouseketeer
Hi, family of 4, two boys 9 and 7. We went to Disney for the first time in April in what was supposed to be our “one and done” trip but liked it so much that we decided to do one more trip while kids are still under 10. Will be a very busy time—it’s April/Passover break for NYC so it’s from the Thursday before Good Friday (we’ll arrive on Wednesday night) through the week after Easter. Ending the trip with two nights at Universal (going there the Wednesday after Easter and flying back to NYC on Friday). Staying at Poly for WDW.

When should I have rest days with this schedule? Last trip we did parks Monday through Friday and we were pretty beat by the last day. Would love a suggested parks visit schedule with rest days!! Should our transfer to Universal day on Wednesday be a Poly day, a Universal hotel day or a park day? Thanks!!

Your question is complicated because there are so many personal preferences/variables, ie, it's not easy to answer!

I would make my transfer day a Poly day (this is also a rest day) because I prefer a Disney resort. If you want another rest day, I think Saturday would be good. That gives you two full days of parks and you will probably be beat, plus Saturday during Easter week is bonkers. I find that DHS and AK are half day parks so I like to put those in between long days of MK and Epcot. G+ would probably be a factor as well, but we don't use it.

When we went to Universal I planned 3 days but we only really 'needed' a day and a half. Your family may be different!

Best advice is don't go too hard on the first two days because your feet and legs will pay the price the rest of the trip. Pace yourself.

I’d definitely want to spend some time at the Poly if I was staying there. Have a sleep in and pool time, go to Trader Sam’s, Ohana, Kona cafe. Maybe check out the other monorail resorts or Disney springs in the afternoon/evening after sleeping in and swim time.

So I’d do Thursday and Friday at parks, Saturday at Poly, Sunday and Monday at the parks, Tuesday at Poly, Wednesday and Thursday at Universal, home Friday.

Have fun!!

As mentioned, everyone visits differently. We never take a rest/resort day but we don't do the parks rope drop to fireworks. If you are set on doing a rest day I would make it my transfer day... You could leave your bags with Bell Services and enjoy the day at Poly or Disney Springs... or even do a monorail resort tour. You could leave early drop your bags at your Universal hotel and visit City Walk. Lotsa options.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter