• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Place to buy food

oshun

Mouseketeer
I'm sure this has been asked several times before, but I must have missed it. Where is the best place to purchase food (small grocery order: milk, cereal, donuts) on the way to OKW? Most meals will be out except for breakfasts.
Also, since we will arrived by our own car at OKW early and might not be able to check in, will they keep our refrigerated items cold for us until we are able to check into our room?
Thanks ahead for the info!! 35 more days to go!!!

:bounce:

I am not sure if this is on your way to OKW, but we shop at SuperWalmart in Kissimmee. It is about a 10 minute drive from Disney property. And yes, the resort will keep your cold food cold for you and deliver it to your room.

The most convenient supermarket is Goodings at the Crossroads Shopping Center, but their prices have gotten outrageous over the years. Publix has excellent prices and I believe the closest one is at the intersection of 535 and I92. You can also usually get good deals on soda at some of the nearby service stations.

Also a tip that I used that really helped this visit was to buy bottled water and freeze it. Then you have cold water to drink the whole day if you fill it from the water fountains!!

Our first choice for grocery shopping when staying at OKW is the Publix at International Drive and Highway 192.

Unless you really enjoy wasting valuable vacation time, I'd avoid Super WalMart Supercenter and go to Publix.

Both stores are on 192, but the WalMart Supercenter is 5 miles east of the Publix -- a long, slow 5 miles each way past a zillion motels, t-shirt shops, and all-you-can-eat buffets -- with traffic signals and traffic jams. WalMart Supercenter is a huge store with a huge parking lot and a huge number of customers.

OK. I know you can take Vineland to 192 and only drive 2 or 3 miles on 192. But I still don't think the few dollars of savings justify the extra time and aggravation unless you're planning on a huge grocery purchase.

Also, I consider the Gooding's at Crossroads of Buena Vista to be a good place to pick up a few items when staying at Old Key West. Yes, it costs more, but my vacation time is valuable. It's open 24 hours, has a good selection, and is so convenient.

Thank you for all the information. Sound like Goodings is a great and quick stop for me. Don't mind paying an extra $1.00 or $2.00 but really don't want to waste a minute of vacation time just for breakfast foods. Thanks again!!

We went to the WalMart one night at about 9:00 pm. What a giant waste of time!! I would not go back there. I went to the Publix on 192 and I-Drive.

Goodings might be a little more but it is still a heck of a lot cheaper than buying the basics on site :)

Superwalmart on 192. I love the atomsphere. We know that we are truly on vacation when we hit the place. The prices are great compared to any other store in the immediate area. I like to reward folks for keeping the prices down so we look upon the visit as an adventure.

While Goodings is a few bucks more than the others it is very close by and on the way to the resorts if coming in on I 4 or 417. It is open 24 hrs a day and has everything you will need for breakfast foods. It does not take away from your vacation time which is pretty valuable.

Ed

I know that you said you are only looking for breakfast foods, so I'm sure that Goodings or Publix will be just fine. But in case someone is looking for more than just groceries the Walmart on 192 is great. We have shopped there the most. They carry a lot of things that other walmart stores do not have year round like swimsuits, beach towels, and there is no place better to buy film, or a replacement battery for our camcorder( which we needed after a few days of lugging a camera around). They really cater to Disney travelers. If you need more than just a few groceries, it is well worth the trip. We always drive, and stay for about 8-10days. I would much rather spend an hour at walmart, than pack drinks, food, diapers,... .

I am with Eric on this one. Wal*Mart works for us. I do take 535 to the left on 192 to WalMart. It is, as a rule, 10-15% less than Publix, which is a good 25% less than Goodings.

My vote is for Publix. Prices are pretty good and they have it all. Cored pineapple for fresh Pina Coladas :D

We thought Publix was very conveniet. We went out on Victoria Rd. (where the new Pop Century is being built) and then took a left at WWof S and then a Right at the new Opryland hotel and Publix was on the right. No traffic and much better than Goodings!!!

We always go to the Super Walmart, they have a great selection and great prices. We go on either Saturday afternoon when we arrive or wait until the next afternoon if we arrive late (Sunday). It has not been that crowded any of the times, in fact this last May I walked right up to a checkout (Saturday around 3:30pm).

Why not pack cereal from home, that way all you will need is the milk? If you are driving, throw in some bagels and such also. Heck you could even bring milk in a cooler too.

If you want it super convenient, OKW has a General Store that sells milk, cereal, etc. Probably the priciest of all (It think it was $2.89 for a half gallon of skim milk) but you can't beat it for saving time. We shopped at Publix, and bought a couple of frozen dinner things for a couple of nights. When we stopped at Goodings later to pick up more water and coffee, we wished we had shopped there. Wonderful bakery, and a nice selection of fresh microwaveable meals that looked tasty.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter