Photo sharing: Fuji X Series

Finally getting a chance to go through some of the shots from our August trip. Here are some merged shots for a hopefully subtle HDR look. X-T1 w/10-24. Classic Chrome color.

i-DnmxjXw-XL.jpg

i-3f6nmqc-XL.jpg

One of the really cool things about Fuji, and other mirrorless options, is how easy it is to adapt and use older manual focus lenses. Focus peaking on these cameras is fantastic! Here is an older shot with a Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AIS lens adapted on the X-T1.

17946374392_7da4c6c83e_h.jpg

And one of the negatives with Fuji, if you make a habit out of viewing your images at 1:1, 2:1 and greater, is that it is very difficult in post to get the same "look" including sharpness, noise and detail level that you get with straight out of the camera (SOOC) Jpegs. It's an absolute headscratcher for me as I've used all the software - Iridient, Lightroom, Capture One, Silkypix. I'm so comfortable with the LR workflow that occasionally, after I think I've done a good job in post, I actually compare my result to the SOOC jpeg and am blown away by how bad I suck. :)

I've actually started playing with minimally post processing the Jpegs from the camera as they seem to accept lots of modifications without image degradation - unlike some other camera jpeg files I've messed with. Anyway - that's my ramble of the day.

I agree on the post process rant...lol

I usually use LR, but have also tried PN. I don't get it either. I never seen to get the same sharpness and look as the Jpeg. I need to try to edit the Jpeg and try that. How is highlight recovery or shadow pushing on a jpeg?

I agree on the post process rant...lol

I usually use LR, but have also tried PN. I don't get it either. I never seen to get the same sharpness and look as the Jpeg. I need to try to edit the Jpeg and try that. How is highlight recovery or shadow pushing on a jpeg?

Terrible :) To be specific, highlight recovery is not good. Shadow recovery is normally a bit better. I'll try to post some examples later.

Ok. I grabbed an image to test. This was a purposely underexposed shot as part as a bracketed set. In the images below, I tested pushing shadows and highlights to the max with the RAW and the Jpeg in Lightroom. Then, to further beat up the images, I ran each through Nik HDR Efx. I'm showing shots from each step as well as some crops. Because I quickly did the processing, this will be my first time viewing the comparison.

Straight out of camera jpeg original.
i-7QbnDW6-X3.jpg

SOOC Jpeg processed in LR
i-8FvwFZp-X3.jpg

Raw file processed in LR
i-v4SdQ93-X3.jpg

SOOC Jpeg (Dark image above) run through Nik HDR Efx
i-kDhkKp7-X3.jpg

SOOC jpeg processed in LR then processed in Nik HDR Efx
i-CNj2Fjs-X3.jpg

Raw image processed in LR then processed in Nik HDR Efx
i-whzWh8P-X3.jpg

100% Crops...

SOOC Jpeg
i-4vhz3hf.jpg

SOOC Jpeg processed in LR
i-z5hLc6m.jpg

Raw file processed in LR
i-w87SSSQ.jpg

SOOC Jpeg (Dark image above) run through Nik HDR Efx
i-NK5rVTh.jpg

SOOC jpeg processed in LR then processed in Nik HDR Efx
i-DZW68W3.jpg

Raw image processed in LR then processed in Nik HDR Efx
i-df2DQHF.jpg

So the obvious take away from this? Raw is better for this type of extreme recovery. However, I'm pretty impressed at how well the Jpegs held up even after being run through two destructive processes. What I've found on previous work is that minor sharpening with masking, clarity boost, WB adjust all seem to have minimal impact on the OOC jpegs.

Thanks for all of that work! The raw file definitely holds up better to punishment. The crops show that.....

I was hoping you would post some comparison shots with the Fuji vs A7II like Havoc has done with the A6K and D750. Maybe a few high ISO shots....

Lets see what I can find.

Thanks again!

I'm spoiled by fuji lenses! I just picked up a mint A6000 with the 16-50 power zoom to play with. I just set it up today, updated firmware and shot around the house to make sure it works fine.

My opinions so far:
- kit lens is terrible wide open unlike Fuji's 18-55
- focus in AFS seems no faster than X-T1/10 and is definitely not as accurate
- fuji is better looking at high ISO especially the grain and colors
- changing focus point on the A6k takes more steps which is aggravating
- did I mention the lenses

Thanks again!

I'm spoiled by fuji lenses! I just picked up a mint A6000 with the 16-50 power zoom to play with. I just set it up today, updated firmware and shot around the house to make sure it works fine.

My opinions so far:
- kit lens is terrible wide open unlike Fuji's 18-55
- focus in AFS seems no faster than X-T1/10 and is definitely not as accurate
- fuji is better looking at high ISO especially the grain and colors
- changing focus point on the A6k takes more steps which is aggravating
- did I mention the lenses

I tried out an A6000 for a week and just didn't like the camera. Took some fantastic shots with the 32 Zeiss but I hated the way it felt in my hands. The kit lens is ok for what it is - a pancake like zoom. AF is blazing fast but inaccurate, but like I said I only had it for a week. Practice may of had something to do with that.

FYI - You can go through the custom functions to have your AF point move in a similar way to the Fuji.

One of the main reasons I went with Fuji was their commitment to building high quality lenses. Also their frequent, firmware upgrades that actually add new functionality.

Last edited:
I ran some tests tonight to compare different ISOs of the same scene. I've included 100% crops. I didn't think to bother with Extended ISO on D700 so only went up to 5000 on that one. These are Jpegs straight from camera. They all look pretty darn good IMO. Fuji 35mm (crop), Sony 55mm (Full Frame), Nikon 50mm (Full Frame)

Nikon D700 f/1.8 ISO 2800
i-svjbq35-X2.jpg

D700 f/2.6 ISO 5000
i-T5Jspfm-X3.jpg

D700 ISO 2800 100% Crop
i-G8Bz6b9.jpg

D700 ISO 5000 100% Crop
i-DCPdzcc.jpg

A7II ISO 2200 f/1.8
i-rCwkcmj-X3.jpg

A7II ISO 6400 f/4.5
i-cdpv678-X3.jpg

A7II ISO 12800
i-VvWNrVm-X3.jpg

A7II ISO 25600
i-mb2B7qZ-X3.jpg

A7II 100% crop ISO 2000
i-t9TLZKM.jpg

A7II ISO 6400 Crop
i-SfL2MzR.jpg

A7II ISO 12800 Crop
i-hD5gZJn.jpg

A7II ISO 25600 100% Crop
i-qcQmjkk.jpg

Fuji f/1.4 ISO 2000
i-424nbnB-X3.jpg

Fuji f/1.8 ISO 3200
i-kxh93Jt-X3.jpg

Fuji ISO 6400
i-pCxTq9J-X3.jpg

Fuji ISO 12800
i-9r9S7JP-X3.jpg

Fuji ISO 25600
i-ndZ9bjG-X3.jpg

Fuji ISO 2000 100% Crop
i-jGhqRjb.jpg

Fuji ISO 3200 Crop
i-nj3cwCQ.jpg

Fuji ISO 6400
i-7gwxfKW.jpg

Fuji ISO 12800
i-PBHNgQm.jpg

Fuji ISO 25600
i-3KctwwQ.jpg

Next I boosted shadows in Jpegs to 100% in LR to bring out the noise. Here are the crops.

D700 ISO 5000
i-Gg3FLJG.jpg

A7II ISO 2000
i-Cpr2FBQ.jpg

Fuji ISO 3200
i-hB8LM9P.jpg

A7II ISO 6400
i-cQC8ZrC.jpg

Fuji ISO 6400
i-jdcXLff.jpg

Sony ISO 12800
i-fBbDHGn.jpg
'

Fuji ISO 12800
i-7PMNZxH.jpg

And finally I grabbed a Sony ISO 4000 raw and a Fuji ISO 6400 raw and processed as guick and as good as I could to sharpen image and reduce noise while raising shadows 100%. The reason I choose 4000 for Sony and 6400 for Fuji as the exposures were equivalent. 100% crops

A7II ISO 4000
i-hsCgfcz.jpg

Fuji ISO 6400
i-QzH9LSf.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter