Photo enhancement

scrappystamper1

Mouseketeer
I have been searching for a special effect for photo editing and do not know what it's called or where I can get it from,
I am looking to take a photo (for example) of my kids with a character and turn the background black and white leaving everything else in color.
I'm sure this is going to be easy once I have the knowledge.
Can anyone tell me what it's called? Or where I can download the software for it? I downloaded Picasa thinking I had found out how to do it, but it only lets me do a rounded area. I cannot choose what I want left in color.
Any thoughts?

Janet P

scrappystamper1

is this what you want to do..??

final110-vi.jpg

I use Paint Shop Pro X, it's fairly easy to do, you can seperate the subject from the background and turn the background b&w, or turn the subject b&w or tint either one after removing the color...

I prefer to create a duplicate layer, make the top layer B&W and then erase what you want to be in color. I usually use a selection tool and the feather the edges a few pixels to make the transition from color to B&W seem less drastic. It just seems to look more natural to me.

ukcatfan said:
I prefer to create a duplicate layer, make the top layer B&W and then erase what you want to be in color. I usually use a selection tool and the feather the edges a few pixels to make the transition from color to B&W seem less drastic. It just seems to look more natural to me.

I understand your reasoning, but if you think about it,,what looks natural about a picture with people in color and background in b&w...LOL

Very true! I guess a better way to say what I mean is that it looks like a completely different picture of a person was cropped and dropped into the B&W background if the edges are too sharp.

I did a few of my wedding pics where I only brought the color forward on the flowers.

ukcatfan said:
Very true! I guess a better way to say what I mean is that it looks like a completely different picture of a person was cropped and dropped into the B&W background if the edges are too sharp.

I did a few of my wedding pics where I only brought the color forward on the flowers.

I bet the bride loved those...

I've done it both ways, and people I've shown them to seem to prefer the sharper contrast, since it makes the subject jump out at you....

I've done this numerous times to just help the pictures pop.
here is my original for my favorite,
BrendentruckCool.jpg

here is my revamped. It really makes my son pop,
BrendentruckCoolBW.jpg

here are a couple more

606346093105_0_ALB.jpg

CAX021T7.jpg

gfinalBWwithcolor.jpg

MICKEY88 said:
I understand your reasoning, but if you think about it,,what looks natural about a picture with people in color and background in b&w...LOL

I agree. I'm not a fan of that style.

Charade said:
I agree. I'm not a fan of that style.
I wasn't saying I don't like it, just that I wouldn't call it natural..

it's just a different form of selective focus...

Any program that will desaturate (Turn photo to black and white) and then use a history brush to restore color to to a chosen area will work. I used Photoshop.
Whether you like it or not is a matter of choice.

MiknMinMouse said:
These pictures look really cool :-). Can just about any picture program do this?

paint shop pro does it also...

there are 2 ways of doing it,,,one is the technique that MOmousefan explained,,the other way with PSP is to select part of the picture and just turn that B&W...leaving the rest untouched...

pyrxtc said:
I've done this numerous times to just help the pictures pop.

pyrxtc - what software do you use? Photoshop?

That is the software I have on my Christmas list. :)

geetey said:
pyrxtc - what software do you use? Photoshop?

That is the software I have on my Christmas list. :)

are you getting photoshop elements or photoshop cs..

I use mostly Photoshop. I ahve a trial of CS2 and own 7.0. I like some of what CS2 doe diferent but havent decided if it is worth the money to upgrade yet.

pyrxtc said:
I use mostly Photoshop. I ahve a trial of CS2 and own 7.0. I like some of what CS2 doe diferent but havent decided if it is worth the money to upgrade yet.

have you checked out PAint SHop Pro X,,it does pretty much everything photoshop does at a fraction of the cost..

I've read a lot of reviews all good, and many recomending it over photoshop, because of the cost and the easier learning curve..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter