Paying OOP on free DDP and Other Q's

KimberlyC

<font color=darkgreen>Mouseketeer<br><font color=d
I've never used DDP, but hey, its free! :woohoo: Its me, DH, DNiece (12) and DS (2). My DNiece is a Disney adult but DS doesn't count at Disney so no free DDP for him. I suppose I could buy him a base tix and say he's 3 but that would be a lie and Disney should have his age in a computer somewhere since we just celebrated his 2nd b-day there and have a DCL cruise booked so I don't want to do that. TS probably won't be a big deal as he'll share with me or do buffet. But how do we pay OOP for him at CS since he'll want a cheeseburger or hotdog for lunch and I don't eat red meat/pork and won't share?

Do we hand the CM our KTTW card and say 3 adult credits and child OOP and charge his OOP to the card or do we need to pay without using the KTTW card. Do they need to do 2 separate transactions? I just don't want the CM deducting an adult credit for my child meal when DS doesn't have any credits and I will just pay OOP for him.

Also, how does this DDP thing work exactly? I understand what comes with it, but do you just hand the CM the card before ordering, or do they ask (they didn't seem to ask when we were there earlier this month)? I just want to be prepared and prepare DH.

Last question...CM tips for TS. I understand that gratuity is included but how much is it? If we get great servce I would like to tip extra in cash but would like to know what it is to start with. Do CM's seem to have a problem with DDP? I would think if the gratuity was a decent amount that it would be good for them because people get more food than normal thereby increasing the bill, but just curious.

TIA

I can answer the last question. We were just in the world 5/27-6/4 and the gratuity added to the ticket was 18%. We left extra money almost every time because we got excellent service on the trip!

Enjoy your trip. Our family loves the DDP, it works great for us.

At TS, there is an automatic 18% tip included (18% of the cost of the food you actually ordered.) You can leave an additional tip in cash anywhere, but can only charge an extra tip to your KTTW if you are purchasing an OOP item.

At most TS, we were asked in advance if we were on the DDP, and presented the card at the end. There was no discrimination on the plan--in every case the server seemed pleased and told us what was included on the plan (for instance, some restaurants include smoothies or shakes as a beverage.) We presented our card at the end. If you are sharing, just tell them. If you are purchasing OOP for your child, tell them that at the time you order....as in "he's only 2, so we will pay for his kid meal." You can charge your OOP to your KTTW card or to another credit card or pay cash.

Do check your receipts each time. If you purchase OOP, they will bring 2 receipts--one showing your DDP (and number of credits remaining), and the other showing the OOP and the charge for that. You will need to sign both. IF they have made a mistake, it is much easier to fix it at that restaurant than back at the resort...so check before you leave the restaurant.

At CS, just tell them that you will get XYZ on the dining plan and that you will buy Q OOP. Again, it will be 2 transactions and check the receipts.

Also, please note that when you pay OOP for items when you are on the DDP, I have found that many TS restaurants will automatically add a gratuity to that OOP check. So be sure you are aware of whether they have included the tip on the OOP check or not.

If you get excellent service, you are certainly free to add to the tip. People usually leave a few extra dollars right at the table since it's easier that way.

As for your 2 yo ds, there are many counter service places in MK (I definitely know about those) that have a double cheeseburger meal as an adult choice. I have found that if I purchase one of these for dh and ask for an extra bun (they will either give it to you for free or charge you something like $.79), he can split the double burgers into 2 separate burgers for him and ds. Pecos Bill's, for example, has an excellent toppings bar that allows dh to add things to his burger and make it a really nice meal. They both get what they want, and since we're definitely having a TS meal later on (with all that comes with it) I find sharing to be a better choice to avoid everyone having too much to eat. So maybe think about that as an option to buying ds his own kids meal (because some places don't have a kids burger on the kids meal selection...some will have chilled chicken or pb&j).

Just another option to consider for your lunches.

When we used the plan last year my DS was 2yo, when ordering counter service for the family and him, I simply told the cashier that I had 2 separate orders, one with the dining plan. I had absolutely no problems, and I used the same card, as it had charging privileges, each transaction was correct w/o any mistakes.

KimberlyC said:
Last question...CM tips for TS. I understand that gratuity is included but how much is it? If we get great servce I would like to tip extra in cash but would like to know what it is to start with. Do CM's seem to have a problem with DDP? I would think if the gratuity was a decent amount that it would be good for them because people get more food than normal thereby increasing the bill, but just curious.
TIA

As I stated above, we had the DDP last year, we always ordered my DS his own counter service meal.

With the table service/character dining we always tipped additionally, above the allotted tip included with the dining plan, even when the service was just so-so. I just felt compelled to as we were dining for free anyway and with the tip included, why not give a little extra, didn't hurt our pockets any. I plan on doing the same on the next trip too.

janets said:
Also, please note that when you pay OOP for items when you are on the DDP, I have found that many TS restaurants will automatically add a gratuity to that OOP check. So be sure you are aware of whether they have included the tip on the OOP check or not.

If you get excellent service, you are certainly free to add to the tip. People usually leave a few extra dollars right at the table since it's easier that way.

As for your 2 yo ds, there are many counter service places in MK (I definitely know about those) that have a double cheeseburger meal as an adult choice. I have found that if I purchase one of these for dh and ask for an extra bun (they will either give it to you for free or charge you something like $.79), he can split the double burgers into 2 separate burgers for him and ds. Pecos Bill's, for example, has an excellent toppings bar that allows dh to add things to his burger and make it a really nice meal. They both get what they want, and since we're definitely having a TS meal later on (with all that comes with it) I find sharing to be a better choice to avoid everyone having too much to eat. So maybe think about that as an option to buying ds his own kids meal (because some places don't have a kids burger on the kids meal selection...some will have chilled chicken or pb&j).

Just another option to consider for your lunches.

LOL. The problem is DH can eat the whole double burger and half of DS's. DS had the franks and beans at Pecos Bills a few weeks ago and ate all the franks and apple sauce (neither he nor DH liked the beans). DH ate his meal and finished half of my chicken wrap. DNeice defiled her chicken wrap by getting it plain and adding ketchup to it. I couldn't look...it was too revolting but she seemed to enjoy it despite our disgust.

So I pretty much know that there will be no sharing of lunches. I do eat chicken (boneless and skinless) so DS generally shares a chicken entree with me for TS, which is fine since I can never finish anything (except dessert :teeth: ). DH and DNiece don't have that problem. They can eat it all and want a snack an hour later. How that girl stays skinny I will never know.

Thanks everyone for the responses. I feel less aprehensive about the DDP now. Maybe we'll like it and even decide to buy it in the future!

kcashner said:
Do check your receipts each time. If you purchase OOP, they will bring 2 receipts--one showing your DDP (and number of credits remaining), and the other showing the OOP and the charge for that. You will need to sign both. IF they have made a mistake, it is much easier to fix it at that restaurant than back at the resort...so check before you leave the restaurant.

QUOTE]
So true! When we went in March, we had a problem at our last TS. They said we only had 1 TS credit left. It was only me and DS, and we both are each meal, so it was a mystery to me. About 30 minutes later at guest services, it was all fixed. Le Cellier charged us for 3 TS's, instead of 2. My CC had been charged in the meantime and they had to credit it back. It was a big mess! So check your receipt EACH time!

Marsha

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter