Paying Extra For Animal Kingdom Tours??

DisneyLiz44

Mouseketeer
Going to be in AK for one day with 3 adults, 17 year old and 12 year old. We already have FP for Safari in morning, Everest-B4 Lunch, Yak & Yeti for lunch at 1pm and then FP for FOP at 5:40.
Is it worth it to book the Elephant tour or the Rhino tour? Or would we be better off spending our time touring Animal Kingdom on our own? It has been awhile (2009) since we have been to AK and even longer since we have been to any "zoo".

I would wait and see how your day is going. If you feel like you have time to kill and you're near the safari (where tour sign up is), see what is available. While I admit we did go in a lower crowd season, we were able to hop onto an elephant tour that was just about to leave when we were there in January. I had considered booking it in advance, but didn't want to feel tied down to anything that day. I was pleasantly surprised that it was available, but wouldn't have been too upset to miss it. I felt it was worth the price, especially with the discount (DVC/AP/Disney Visa - not sure which one I had qualified, possibly all?).

Thanks. I didn't realize you could sign up at the park (if spots still available, of course). Probably will wait to see how day goes. I too like to plan... but also like to "plan" free time so that I don't book up my entire day so that we have have time for spontaneity :P

We enjoyed Caring For Giants earlier this year (would definitely do again!) and I so hope the Rhino tour will still be available on our next trip!!

While I have often read that Caring for Giants can be available same day, the thread I have been reading about the Rhino tour indicates much less availability.

While I wouldn't hesitate to invest time and $ in these two partcular tours.... I also think there is fun to be had just walking and observing on the trails. (On our recent trip we had more than one day in AK.)

Last edited:

We did Caring for the Giants last June and LOVED it. It is only an hour, but was so cool to see the backstage process. There is no Disney Visa discount for the tours, but there is DVC discounts.

Has anyone done the Wild Africa Trek? We're signed up in December but I'm just curious as to what to expect.

We just did Caring for Giants in January and loved it!! It was worth it for us. As other posters have pointed out, you can walk up and book it while in the park. it was nice to see behind the scenes and get a different perspective of Animal Kingdom and it felt good helping their cause :) So excited for meeting Rhinos if it's still available when we go in May.

Last edited:

As to what to expect, if you are pooh-sized (as I am) you will be asked to step on a scale. This is done discretely, so no embarrassment. You then get a locker to put bags in, you are outfitted in a harness, secure with strap anything that you take with you, and issued a hearing device. You meet your guides and intro of people on the tour. A short walk through the park to a gate that leads to a trail over to the hippo pool. Be sure to wave at the KS vehicles. The head over to the croc area to cross suspension bridge. You will lose the gear and board a safari vehicle. This takes you on safari. About half way through the savanna you stop at the boma for snack which to me was more like a lunch and restrooms. After a brief respite you continue to the end of the tour. One of the guides will take photos of you and the animal or any other request. I requested a photo standing at the rail of the boma with a safari vehicle and the animals in the background. At the end of the tour you are given a form to fill out if you want your tour photos on disc or a paper with password to retrieve your photos when you return home.

We are doing the Caring for Giants tour for the first time in November, but one thing that I really appreciated was knowing that the cost (which is minimal as Disney Tours go) goes toward Disney's Conservation Fund.

Has anyone done the Wild Africa Trek? We're signed up in December but I'm just curious as to what to expect.
I've done it twice and sent a co-worker on it - it's amazing! You'll never go back to the standard safari ride.
As to what to expect, if you are pooh-sized (as I am) you will be asked to step on a scale. This is done discretely, so no embarrassment. You then get a locker to put bags in, you are outfitted in a harness, secure with strap anything that you take with you, and issued a hearing device. You meet your guides and intro of people on the tour. A short walk through the park to a gate that leads to a trail over to the hippo pool. Be sure to wave at the KS vehicles. The head over to the croc area to cross suspension bridge. You will lose the gear and board a safari vehicle. This takes you on safari. About half way through the savanna you stop at the boma for snack which to me was more like a lunch and restrooms. After a brief respite you continue to the end of the tour. One of the guides will take photos of you and the animal or any other request. I requested a photo standing at the rail of the boma with a safari vehicle and the animals in the background. At the end of the tour you are given a form to fill out if you want your tour photos on disc or a paper with password to retrieve your photos when you return home.
What happens if the number on the scale is too big?
You won't be able to go on the tour. It is a safety factor. The weight limit is listed in the tour description.
Just to clarify, these posts refer to the Wild Africa Trek. The OP asked about the Elephant and Rhino tours.

We have done every tour offered at the animal kingdom over the years. We have not done the new elephant or rhino ones yet. All were definitely worth the money.

Folks need to remember there are animals you can only see on the safari or on the tours. These include the elephants,rhinos, lions, cheetahs, etc. in fact I think the only safari animals you can see just wandering around the park are the hippos.

One of my favorite tours that is no longer offered was Wild by Design. They explained the design elements of the park. Did you know the pavement changes all throughout the park? Dino land is paved like a roadside amusement attraction would be; patchy asphalt. Other paths have animal and leaf prints to match the animals in the area. Joe Rhode did an awesome job.

On Wild Africa Trek everyone that I went on the trek with were asked to stand on a scale. I don’t even remember anyone necessarily because being overweight. I thought it had something to do with the size harness they picked for you. By the way if you ever get a chance to do that tour, please do. It was so cozy and a great tour. They give you all the time you want at each animal spot to get tons of pics.

On Wild Africa Trek everyone that I went on the trek with were asked to stand on a scale. I don’t even remember anyone necessarily because being overweight. I thought it had something to do with the size harness they picked for you. By the way if you ever get a chance to do that tour, please do. It was so cozy and a great tour. They give you all the time you want at each animal spot to get tons of pics.
I'd totally be up for that, but DH is tall and husky and might tip over that 300 lbs with clothes. I won't put him through that.

I'm definitely signing us up for either the elephants or the rhinos. I'd love to do both, but, you know, cost. Not sure which will be the better one to do. I can't wait to hear reviews of the rhino tour.

Took my daughter on wild animal trek 3 years ago when we’re stayed in a 1 bedroom at Kidani. We were able to get a DVC discount! A group of zebras slept under our balcony one night, one of them seemed to stay on guard. The CM’s on the tour were wonderful and knowledgeable. Entertained each and every question. I was afraid i would freak out walking over the bridge over the gators but it was exhilarating. Lots of photos, some professional photos pre loaded to the disk you receive and done taken of each person throughout the tour. They prepared a special vegan lunch for her that was literally out of this world. There was a mentally challenged young man with his parents in our group. It was heartwarming how the CM’s made sure he had a great experience. The CM’s had advanced degrees in animal husbandry. It was worth every penny. I think we went on mid day tour during early summer. Hot but we are from a hot climate. We were fine. Lots of shade.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter