Party of 2. One regular menu and one complicated allergy menu please! June 2018

If I was doing fancy titles for my report, this meal would be labeled as "the day we stuffed ourselves to the point of no return".

I have been dreaming about Sanaa forever. Gluten free naan? Are you kidding? However, I have houseful of only sort of adventurous eaters so even taking them to Boma, which I've done a few times, pushes the boundaries. They'll happily eat cuisine from many different countries but African inspired food just doesn't ring their bell. For me, I could live on it. So this was my choice for my must do this trip

As a reward for my patience in waiting forever to eat here, they graced us with the table the hostess called the "most requested in the place". OUr waiter was Yuness and this guy was awesome. Not only did he help me with the menu and what was safe, he made sure to tell me if anything on DH's plate would be safe in case I was tempted to sample.

DH started with the mango margarita. I, for the life of me, have no idea what my drink is. I didn't write it down thinking I'd rely on looking at a menu later and it's not on here. I remember saying it was really good. I think maybe a watermelon margarita??
enhance

We went hole hog on the bread service with all 9 dips. I was given 2 of the gluten free naan and DH 5 variety gluten filled. All of the dips are gluten free, but with my tomato allergy they pulled off 3 that were not safe for me and put them on a separate plate for DH.

enhance

And DH's naan and the 3 not safe for me dips.
enhance

So this is when I wish we would have been paying out of pocket. I inhaled the bread service and still had a full dinner and dessert coming and was already going to be full! Poor planning on our part, especially since we had to pay OOP for one of our meals later. I wish we would have split the bread service and an entree and not used a dining credit.

However I was a trooper and I ate pretty much every single bite of my dinner. I'm not a huge fan of sausage but this one was spiced differently and so good, along with pork and lamb chop

South African Braaivleis
enhance

DH was a little more uncomfortable than I trying to eat 5 pieces of naan (he did give up) and then a dinner. He went with the Potjie Inspired with butter chicken, spicy shrimp and well, I don't know what the third choice was because I was enamored by this

enhance

But here is DH's entree that I only know what 3 of the 4 are :)
enhance

He thought everything was okay, but remember, he gets twitchy at Boma so this was really branching out for him. He made a pretty decent size dent considering the bread overload.

I tried to refuse dessert but Yuness really pushed the Kheer, a coconut rice pudding. It was perfectly light

enhance

Not sure where DH put it, but he ended up getting the Kenyan Coffee Petit Entremet. It was super rich and he was stuffed so there was no way he was going to finish it. They offered to box it up but we were heading to Animal Kingdom so we left a lot of it behind.
enhance

I was thrilled with Sanaa. DH was okay with it. I do wish we would have paid out of pocket and split everything. I felt like we wasted some food, and we were almost uncomfortably full. Walking around Animal Kingdom and trying to ride FOP and EE that full is almost dangerous :)

And you are all going to laugh when you find out we actually went for a snack later that night. So much for being stuffed!!!
You had me at watermelon and mango margaritas! I think on our honeymoon we’re going to go just for the bread service and margaritas!

So the bird in your pic is a "Crowned Crane." One of the animal experts told me that the crane is in love with it's own reflection. So, it seems as though it is looking at you, it is in fact staring at itself.

Oh, and the bread service is out of this world.

You had me at watermelon and mango margaritas! I think on our honeymoon we’re going to go just for the bread service and margaritas!

Sounds perfect!!! I'm planning another trip right now just with our 13 year old son and I can't convince him to let me go eat bread :)

So the bird in your pic is a "Crowned Crane." One of the animal experts told me that the crane is in love with it's own reflection. So, it seems as though it is looking at you, it is in fact staring at itself.

Oh, and the bread service is out of this world.

There were a couple of the cranes roaming around and just checking themselves out. It was so much fun to watch

Okay so remember how full we were after Sanaa?

Yeah.

After we had thrown ourselves around on EE and FOP, we needed a snack.

Okay, we didn't need a snack, but you can't take a gluten free girl to a park where she can get gluten free churros and not let her eat them!! So, bonus review!

Nomads Lounge

enhance

It was excruciatingly hot. Like all of our pictures show us in sweat drenched clothes. So the thought of getting a cold drink in an air conditioned lounge was going to make me happy whether or not I got churros anyhow.

But churros I got. I could have cried. They were perfect. And the dipping sauces are both gluten and egg safe too.
enhance

I want to say this is the Leaping Lizard. I didn't take notes anywhere but restaurants so I failed to write anything down here
enhance

Service was okay. There were a lot of tables with bigger groups and our waitress paid way more attention to them. It's okay. I had a drink and fried dough. What else do you need??

A very Merry Unbirthday to me! And the day we trash the plan

We had to cancel two trips, both over my birthday week, the previous two years. It didn't work out that we could go that week again but DH insisted I pick a day to finally celebrate my bday at MK (and wear the shirts I was given two years before!) So today is it.

The whole time we were planning, we were set on not eating at any restaurant we had been to before. That plan worked well until we realized we had apparently spent too many days at MK and had eaten at every place but Casey's which we knocked out on our anniversary. So the plan was to catch the monorail or a resort launch and head to one of the resorts for lunch.

But, we were hot, it was crowded and neither of us was particularly looking forward to going through security again. So we trashed the "all new restaurants" plan and decided to go to Cosmic Rays because their rotisserie chicken is always a good bet for me.

Except while ordering, I was informed that they changed the menu and the chicken is only served after 4pm now. Such a stupid bummer. We had waited in a long line, and we needed to eat and get moving so we wouldn't miss our FP for 7 Dwarfs, so we stayed.

I ordered a grilled chicken club. When I ordered I had said that baked egg was okay so I could get a bun, but when it came out, it was without the bun?? Oh well. I appreciate their being safe. The fries were safe, which made me happy. DH got the same thing on a glutened bun.

enhance

So this one was kind of a bummer. I wish we would have stuck to the plan and went to one of the resorts, but it was nice to not have to leave and come back through, especially since it was pretty busy. Bring back the rotisserie chicken!

Yeah.

Okay, we didn't need a snack, but you can't take a gluten free girl to a park where she can get gluten free churros and not let her eat them!! So, bonus review!

Nomads Lounge

enhance

It was excruciatingly hot. Like all of our pictures show us in sweat drenched clothes. So the thought of getting a cold drink in an air conditioned lounge was going to make me happy whether or not I got churros anyhow.

But churros I got. I could have cried. They were perfect. And the dipping sauces are both gluten and egg safe too.
enhance

I want to say this is the Leaping Lizard. I didn't take notes anywhere but restaurants so I failed to write anything down here
enhance

Service was okay. There were a lot of tables with bigger groups and our waitress paid way more attention to them. It's okay. I had a drink and fried dough. What else do you need??

Yeah.

Nomads Lounge

enhance

enhance

enhance

Any idea if it's possible to get the churros to go? My DD19 has celiac and would LOVE to have the churros! At 19 though, she couldn't go into Nomad's.

With the "all new to us restaurants" plan in place, we wanted to find something outside the MK for dinner. We had left our evening plans open in case we wanted to go back to MK or if we wanted to just call it a night. We narrowed it down to The Wave and Kona, and Kona won out. Probably because I could get this

enhance

It's really not a Disney vacation unless momma's drinking out of a pineapple at some point.

EnerG rolls. They were well heated, which all the allergy people know is a make or break
enhance

With a wheat allergy, I am not able to eat Asian inspired food often. (ever) Of course I went for Asian stir fry with chicken (minus peanuts). It was really good

enhance

DH got the sushi sampler
enhance

Now, here's where I've decided to hate Kona. The only dessert on the allergy menu is fruit salad. Fruit. Salad. Yawn.

Multiple times at Ohana they have brought over Kilauea Torte over from Kona for dessert so I was really looking forward to having it (It is gluten free, has egg but baked eggs are okay for me) Our waitress was totally MIA so we didn't even get around to being able to ask for dessert anyhow and I was getting mad. I finally just said we could stop and get one from Kona Island because I had made a FP and we needed to head back to MK. Problem solved. We ended up paying OOP instead of using a dining credit so I guess she just assumed we weren't going to get dessert. It would have been nice of her to ask at least.

We flagged down someone else who brought our check. We paid, walked to Kona Island, and of course they are closed.

Grrrrr

And, I was wearing a shirt that said "Birthday Girl". DH had on a shirt that said "Husband of the Birthday Girl". People next to us got a dessert with writing on it.

Guess how many people at Kona said happy birthday to me?

Zero.

Boo.

It's okay. MK has ice cream
enhance

It's really not a Disney vacation unless momma's drinking out of a pineapple at some point
Well that is a bumper sticker quote if ever I've seen one :rotfl:

With a wheat allergy, I am not able to eat Asian inspired food often. (ever) Of course I went for Asian stir fry w
That looks absolutely amazing! So glad they could make something so tasty that fit your allergy restrictions safely.

Guess how many people at Kona said happy birthday to me
RUDE!!!!

They could have at least brought you a free bowl of fruit salad with a cocktail umbrella in it :laughing:

I have heard that Kona has gone downhill. We haven't been back in a while to verify, though I did hear that they put the Samoan back on the breakfast menu which was always my favorite. So I support your hatred. Haha.

I hesitated to even do a dining report, or at least debated skipping the last day of our trip. Disney is amazing with allergies and I know they work very hard at updating protocols and availability of options. But, unfortunately even with all the magic, things can go bad. And they can go really bad. Unfortunately on our last full day at Disney, it went really bad. I hope I don't freak anyone out by my last couple of posts, because what happened is absolutely not the norm. I've eaten hundreds of allergy safe meals over the past 12 years. One time 8 years ago I got sick because I assumed something would be safe and didn't mention my allergy and found out the hard way it wasn't. Other than that, I've never ever had an issue. Until now.

And when things go bad for me I like to really go all out!

So, last day at Epcot. It's a million degrees and it's pouring on and off. No big deal. Until DH and I get hangry. So it's already not a good situation :) But I know that going around lunch rush with allergies is such a no no. So we hold off until a reasonable non lunch hour to eat.

We are tucked way back in the World Showcase. Now I've seen great allergy options in Morocco so we head to Tangierine Cafe. But, the chef, being apparently as hangry too maybe, or just a plain butthole, completely blew me off like I was an absolute burden. He finally kind of yelled from the back he guessed he could try and make the kefta for me but it wouldn't be good. I was embarrassed and pissed and, well, hangry. So I stomped off like a two year old and left DH behind.

Up until this point we had been laughing at all the parents dragging around temper tantrum throwing kiddos since we didn't have to deal with that. And then I go and do it :)

In my defense, DH wasn't much nicer.

We really should have gone back to the room and taken a nap.

But alas, we trudged on. DH wanted tacos. He's a Mexican freak. I wanted to go to Sunshine Seasons because we had already trashed the new to us restaurants with Cosmic Rays. But it was a million degrees and DH had his temper tantrum when he realized where I was trying to make him go. And that we had to walk past Mexico to get there. So, yeah, we are going for tacos.

Now, remember above when I said there was one place that had made me sick? Yeah. Right where he was headed. La Catina de San Angel. Totally my fault as I didn't mention my weirdo tomato allergy and whatever I ordered was chicken marinated with salsa. And I threw up. In line for Soarin. A stellar moment. But I learned a hard lesson to never assume just saying gluten and egg free and hold the tomatoes is okay. I list every allergy now. All the time.

So I was a nervous wreck but I had seen reviews that there was plain grilled chicken for tacos. So I figured I'd go and ask to speak to someone and check the ingredients a million times and if it didn't work, I'd leave DH at Epcot and head for home without him. Or at least go find something to eat when he was done with his taco fix.

Now, I'm happy to report that even though the guys cooking weren't too thrilled with me, I did get a safe meal.

And a much much needed margarita. God bless the dining plan for including alcohol.

enhance

So, it was a lot of stress for some plain grilled chicken and corn tortillas, but I didn't throw up.

But I do think everyone in Epcot this day was crabby.

So, up next, the worst experience at Disney ever.

Ever.

Laugh at the end of this very long review when you remember that on this day, I was wearing a shirt that says "I'm just here for the food".

Because it's true. I pick vacation spots based on being able to eat out. And Disney is always hands down the best place.

Remember the one thing I told DH when I was planning? No buffets. The kids love buffets. All four are athletes who can put away some food. And they love character meals (DS13 and I leave in two weeks and he has 4 character meals booked!) So I was adamant on no buffets. This night we originally had Flying Fish booked, but once we were on the dining plan, we would have only had one credit left or we would have to pay OOP for two meals instead of for just Kona. I wasn't giving up Narcoossees, so we canceled Flying Fish and figured we'd play this night by ear.

Everytime we walked past the Beach Club, or walked in the Beach Club, DH was eyeing Cape May. My man loves him some crab legs. Being from the landlocked Midwest, his vacation preferences are usually anyplace we can get seafood. If we won the lottery I'd move to Tahiti. He'd go to Maine. So, the constant moaning about how we were right next door to all you can eat crab legs wore me down, and I booked Cape May for him. And grumbled about it. A lot.

So, what is about to happen we can fully blame DH for:

Now, I went in with a good attitude and I was ready to eat. I can do some damage on crab legs too. I'm okay with this.

We were seated next to a family of 6 that were pissed off. They had been seated 45 minutes past their reservation time and weren't quite vocal about it. Not obnoxiously so, but it's pretty much all they talked about. The manager came over and comped some of their meals and offered them extra fastpasses for the next day for their trouble. It didn't go too far with them because they were there for a tournament but eventually they got happy. Remember that the manager was right on top of it.

The waitress came over with her notepad and asked about the allergies. I listed all four and said baked eggs were okay. She asked if I wanted her to list eggs at all and I said yes and she wrote it down. She handed me an allergy list of what's on the buffet and asked if I would want the chef to walk me through since tomato isn't on that list. I said yes and the chef came over.

I listed all the allergies to the chef and she wrote them down. She walked me through the buffet and said she could make a safe Caesar salad. I'm thinking that's super cool because that's definitely something I don't eat anymore. She walks me to the dessert table and points out a couple of things, one being a custard type thing. I ask about eggs and she realizes it wouldn't have been baked eggs and tells me not to get that. She says she has Erin McKenna cupcakes she can bring for me. I head back to the buffet now having a plan and go make my plate. I just sit down and she brings over this gigantic plate of Caesar salad.

enhance

And a few pictures of our plates from the buffet
enhance

enhance

enhance

Now, I'm digging into my salad because I don't get mayo based salad dressings anymore. And this one is so good and has tons of dressing on it. I'm in heaven

Until I realize that my mouth is burning.

And my chest is itching.

I look at DH who decides my face is red.

(seriously, people, I'm almost having a panic attack writing this!)

I flag down our waitress. "Um, can you ask the chef if that salad is egg free?" She grabs the plate and takes it to the chef, comes back empty handed and says one thing

"Do you need a Benadryl. Or an ambulance?"

While she was talking to the chef, I had already taken a Benadryl and a Zofran for nausea. I'm very lucky that egg isn't going to make my throat close up (peanuts yes, eggs, no) . But it gives me hives, makes my mouth and lips burn, makes me itch from head to toe. And makes me vomit. I'm literally sitting there in this stunned silence. So I tell her no, I have Benadryl and an epi pen and she leaves. I had to kind of yell after her to bring us the check.

Okay so funnily enough, DH is SHOVELING food in his mouth at a stupid rapid pace because he is not about to leave any food behind and gosh darnit, he is going to get his money's worth. He even made a run to the dessert table.

enhance

Now, this is where I'm so upset about the whole thing. Accidents happen. Stuff falls through the cracks and I'm very lucky I'm not going to die right here at the table, but the way this whole thing was handled was horrific.

Our waitress left. And we waited. I just need to go. The family of 6 next to us asked if they had fed me something I was allergic to and are offering to take us to the ER, to our resort (which is right next door so we are okay) People at every table around us here everything that's going on. And we waited some more. At this point I have hives on my legs. I'm literally just stunned. My Disney bubble was so burst and I just needed to get out of there before I threw up or started looking worse. My husband has known me since I was 9 years old and said "I have never seen you look this devastated before"

The chef walks over 10 minutes later and says "I'm sorry this happened, but you didn't tell me about the egg allergy until we were at the dessert table". One, wrong, I told her before we even left our table to walk the buffet. Two, it was on our reservation. Three, the freaking waitress wrote it down before she even went to get the chef.

I just kind of wheeze out "Even so, you brought me the salad AFTER we left the dessert table, so you KNEW I had an egg allergy before you put that salad on the table"

And she literally just walked away.

The waitress came over as soon as the chef left and dropped our bill and these on the table
enhance

At this point I have visible hives on my neck so I use the epi pen. And I go to hunt down a manager so I can freak out before we go back to Yacht Club and decide if the epi pen is going to help or if we are going to the ER.

People, I'm in an allergic reaction and have to go HUNT DOWN the same manager who comped meals and offered fastpasses to people who got seated late.

And this manager was as horrid as the chef.

When I said we were going to miss our Illuminations fastpasses (DH has never seen Illuminations) she told us to go ahead and go to Epcot because if I got worse they could have me transported to the hospital from there.

It's 100 degrees. A Friday night in June. Thousands of people in Epcot watching the fireworks and she expects me, on Bendaryl and an epi pen, covered in hives and probably vomiting, to go watch fireworks because the EMTs might be able to find me if I get worse.

I'm not a crier. I honestly only cry when I'm really mad. And I was livid. So I burst into tears and walked out, kind of yelling over my shoulder that they were going to kill someone someday and apparently I had to stop breathing for someone to realize they were wrong. I'm not pretty when I cry. And I'm shaking from anger and using the epi pen. Probably had a little snot going too. And I'm digging at my chest to stop the itching. I probably really looked fun. Surprised they didn't have me arrested.

So we barely made it back to YC, where I promptly barfed. Because I'm classy like that. But, after a long while in cold AC, lots of water, a lot of puking, I started to almost feel human again. DH went down for Sprite and while he was gone I heard the room phone ring but I ignored it. DH grabbed the message when he got back and it was the manager of the YC. Apparently someone had told management at BC there was a problem at Cape May and they tracked us to our room from our reservation and called YC. They offered to send up a doctor, food, drinks or anything I needed. They called again later that night because they were afraid I had gone to the ER. So score a point for YC.

Now to wrap it up, I was given an email address by the YC staff and fired off an email as soon as we got home. I did start with praising all of the good experiences we had and named names of chefs an wait staff. Then I went step by step of what happened at Cape May and how it was handled. I hit send and within a day my phone rang.

Disney doesn't like it when you tell them someone they employ tried to kill you :) I'm not going to go too many details other than they did refund our money back from Cape May and were exceedingly apologetic and mortified and they threw in some extras that DS13 and I will be taking advantage of next month.

And we will not be eating at Cape May.

Ever. Ever. Again.

Holy whoa. I am SO SORRY, I cannot believe the chef and manager a.) served you food with your allergen and b.) treated you like that! So so scary and awful. I don't have food allergies but I am allergic to most mammals so I can relate on the discomfort level but not on the "peanuts will make me die" level and thank GOODNESS it was a barf allergen and not a die allergen!!! Ugh.

Thank you for sharing even if it was a negative experience. On the whole it looks like you had a great trip (I'm there for the food too!) but I hate that things ended on that scary note. At least they made things right in the end.

So excited for your next trip! Maybe you can do some bonus posts :)

Ugh. I am so sorry for your terrible experience. People just don't listen. I hate that it ruined your evening and you were sick. I hope the next trip is better.

Your experience at Cape May makes me sad, especially since it’s my favorite place. I’m glad YC tried to make it right though

The chef walks over 10 minutes later and says "I'm sorry this happened, but you didn't tell me about the egg allergy until we were at the dessert table". One, wrong, I told her before we even left our table to walk the buffet. Two, it was on our reservation. Three, the freaking waitress wrote it down before she even went to get the chef.
Four, you didn't develop the allergy while she was taking you through the buffet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter