Parks, beach and zoo - which days?

abnihon

DIS Veteran
Planning our first DL trip and staying at HOJO.
Possible dates are May 23-30.
We won’t have a car but found tour companies to take us to San Diego Zoo and beaches (Laguna, Newport and Huntington). Taking into account crowds at all places and traffic (particularly worried about Anaheim to SD traffic and reverse) how should I structure the trip?
This will be over Memorial Day weekend FYI. Arriving Thursday before (and will do half park day then)
Leaving Thursday after. Would like to end with park on Wednesday the 29th since it’s our last day.
So will have 4.5 park days, one beach day and one zoo day.

Traffic to San Diego and back that weekend will be a nightmare. If you’re really set on doing that I would suggest the Tuesday after Labor Day. Beaches will also be mobbed that weekend... probably doesn’t matter much which day you choose, maybe Labor Day itself (which I’m guessing will be pretty busy at the parks).

Traffic anywhere near the beaches during the weekend will be a nightmare also, and although you are not driving it's still going to take forever to get anywhere close. It's going to be crowded wherever you go, so I would probably go to the parks on the weekend days. At least they are equipped for that many people where beach city roads and parking lots really aren't.

Horrible traffic on the 5 to and from San Diego and at every beach in southern California on Memorial day weekend. No good way to structure it. The absolute worst will be driving north on the 5 most of the day on Sunday and Monday. The only other time of the year that is worst might be the 4th of July weekend. The only way to beat it, maybe that is, would be to rent a car and drive to San Diego on Saturday morning around 5am. But then on the way back you will get real bad traffic. Same thing for the beach. The PCH and most side roads will be jammed packed as well around the beach. Go around 6 am. Clearly that is not fun but that is the only way I know of to beat the traffic at the beach.

Last edited:

If you chose to do San Diego over the weekend, you may want to consider taking the Amtrak Pacific Surfliner from Anaheim, and then taking an Uber or Lyft to the Zoo. The train ride is about 2 hrs and 15 min, but it's much less painful than spending 2.5-3 hours crawling on the 5 fwy to travel 90 miles. The problem with heading down during the week is that you will hit rush hour trying to come back, unless you wait until after dinner to return.

But to offer some encouragement....Of the beaches, Huntington (HB) and Newport will likely be easier to reach than Laguna, which has fewer access points and therefore worse traffic. As an HB resident, I want to reassure you that though the beaches will be busy, Memorial Day is still very manageable in comparison to July 4, the US Open of Surfing (Aug), and the HB Air Show (Sept/Oct), which are our busiest weekends. You'll still be able to find parking as long as you come in the morning, though it may not be close to the pier if you arrive later. To lessen traffic delays, accessing the beach from the north (Harbor Blvd south to 22 fwy, exist Goldenwest to avoid the traffic on Beach Blvd, and head south until you see the water). It should take about 30-40 min. And then you can head south to Newport after your time in HB.

Maybe do park days Fri and Sat, beach and relax Sunday, zoo Monday, park days Tues and Wed?

I guess I just have to accept there will be traffic and go with it.. At least I won’t be driving! My son may enjoy the coastal scenery and we’ll bring his iPad for zoo drive.
I’m thinking Sunday for zoo because in theory people won’t be traveling to/from places like they would on Friday or Monday and don’t have weekday rush hour traffic to deal with.

And maybe beach trip Saturday. The tour I’m doing takes us to Laguna early and then onto Newport for a whale watching trip (no concerns with crowds there) then to Huntington. Which I’m sure will be crowded but since we’re doing a tour bus we don’t have to worry about parking ourselves.
And in theory the parks may be more crowded Saturday and Sunday so maybe best to avoid those days?

It sort of comes down to dealing with zoo/beach crowds Memorial Day weekend or SWGE crowds in June so I think I’ll choose the former! Lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!