Parents of the Class of 2019

Less than a week to go, we've funded DS' account that he can use to buy books, do laundry, etc., we have a pile of stuff in the living room (though he has a lot more packing he hasn't even started), he's ordered a carpet for his room and his roommate said his parents were buying a fridge... and I am feeling SO anxious. Glad he won't be far but still, he won't be in my house every day. He's requested several things for dinner these last few nights and already said his last night at home, the four of us are going to watch Toy Story 3. Rip my heart out!! LOL.
Tuesday night is family dinner for dd18 and ds21. This summer has been dd out or away with friends (last night she had a dozen or so here with a fire to send off one of her bestie’s today). It’s been the summer of tears, this friend group is so close. Plus her not boyfriend is now her boyfriend, although she is going out with her ex today... She needs to go to college just to relax.

Tuesday night is family dinner for dd18 and ds21. This summer has been dd out or away with friends (last night she had a dozen or so here with a fire to send off one of her bestie’s today). It’s been the summer of tears, this friend group is so close. Plus her not boyfriend is now her boyfriend, although she is going out with her ex today... She needs to go to college just to relax.
DS has spent a lot of time with friends this summer too and is having lunch tomorrow with one of his besties, the one he calls his "work wife"- they have been in school together since pre-k. She will only be an hour away from him and hopefully they can see each other sometime this year. It will be interesting to see how often (or not) he sees his best friend (known since first grade) and another good friend who are also going to his college. I hope they stay in touch.

DS has spent a lot of time with friends this summer too and is having lunch tomorrow with one of his besties, the one he calls his "work wife"- they have been in school together since pre-k. She will only be an hour away from him and hopefully they can see each other sometime this year. It will be interesting to see how often (or not) he sees his best friend (known since first grade) and another good friend who are also going to his college. I hope they stay in touch.
The 6 of us moms in their core group already had a farewell dinner with them, the group is about 2 dozen. Her 2 best friends are from 3 months old (first day of school pictures from age 3) and age 6 (elementary school and 12 years of dance, at least 10 hours a week). They are all family to me.

ETA dd23 and ds21 are still close to their HS friends, I have a daily group text with 5 of mine.

Move in day was last Saturday and classes started on Wednesday. It was almost a relief because he was a handful the last couple of weeks. We got through it and I know a lot of it was his own anxiety about leaving home. He likes his classes but has complained a little bit that the classes aren't challenging enough. His high school evidently prepared him well. I told him enjoy the easy ride for now but it is just the beginning.

We moved DS in today, and it was a good day! Everything was so well organized, there was no chaos or confusion. His dorm room is bigger than I thought it would be. He didn't want to have bunked beds and his roommate didn't care, so we separated them when we got there. We had all of his stuff moved in, put away, electronics hooked up and trash taken out before his roommate arrived, so it was easier, and they have plenty of room. He only filled half of his wardrobe and has room left in his dresser drawers, so he will probably want more clothes brought up the next time we go. We picked up his books from the bookstore; renting through them was easy and they were waiting when we got there. I only cried once, when I hugged him right before we left. His classes start on Tuesday, I think.

We've done it...moved her in yesterday. She and her roommate both had a 2-4 recommended time slot. DD decided to shoot for 1:30 so we wouldn't be going in and out the door at the same time. Decided the furniture layout was bad and started brainstorming ideas but she wanted to wait for roommate who wasn't there till about 3:30. So with the delay in waiting for her opinion it was almost 6 and time for them to go to their floor meeting when we finished. So just quick hugs and a couple of pics and they were off with activities till 10:30 pm.

This morning her cousin, a recent alumni, picked her up for church. Her boyfriend showed up with flowers, so she was happy about that. She is a bit overwhelmed with all the activities and things to get done. She called tonight and is doing good, but just feels weird being there. I told her I did better when into the class routine rather with the "campy" orientation stuff. She thinks she feels the same. Socially she is doing well. She has met up with her HS classmates there as well as met some new people. Her roommate seems great so far.

I was really concerned about space once all the stuff was there but it got worked in. She has plenty of space left in her wardrobe. The main concern was all of their bathroom stuff, the vanity has two small drawers and a small door and they both have a lot of toiletries! That wasn't all worked out when we left. Maybe some will go in the wardrobe.

I'm ordering DD's set of luggage today. She's packed the big suitcase that we're bringing for her (that DH and I will bring back home), and I'm ordering her a set with a 28" and 22" bag.

She's staged most of the stuff that she's taking, except the clothes she's going to wear these 2 weeks, and we've got copious lists of things to get her when we're out there. We went on Friday and wandered around IKEA for awhile just checking things out. She's been on a group chat with her room mate and suite mates since we got back from Africa, so I think they're decently acquainted. I think she's just ready to go, her best friends have already left for school, so she's the late one in the group. She has been hanging out with her lifeguard friends a lot the last few days too.

I order stuff from Amazon daily, today was door stopper and digital thermometer. Packing has started. She only gets a small wardrobe with 4 drawers, so I know at least half of her clothes are coming back with us. She has about a dozen sweaters that I’ll bring home, and she can get them at thanksgiving.

I order stuff from Amazon daily, today was door stopper and digital thermometer. Packing has started. She only gets a small wardrobe with 4 drawers, so I know at least half of her clothes are coming back with us. She has about a dozen sweaters that I’ll bring home, and she can get them at thanksgiving.

Wow, that has to be hard for a girl! My DS has a full wardrobe with a shelf in the top and a 5-drawer dresser. He only filled up about 1/3 of the wardrobe and has an empty drawer and a half!

I placed DD's order for her today too. We're getting her the suitcases, and I'm getting a roll of chalkboard removable contact paper that she can put on top of her desk and have enough left over to put up a large section in their suite living area to leave notes to each other. DD realized that she has some gift cards to a couple of places, so she's going to use those when we get there for things in her room, which is awesome.

She's got a 3 drawer dresser, and then a wardrobe/closet, but also doesn't have a ton of clothes, so we'll see how she does. She's going to bring mainly summer/fall clothes now, and pick up the remainder of her winter clothes when she comes home for Thanksgiving break. We'll probably repeat the process in reverse for Spring Break. 9 days left now before we fly out!

DD just called and she sounded good. Her advisor is going to add another theatre class to help her complete a double major so now she has 16 credits instead of 13. She thinks she can manage. She went to a theatre play slam last night and met some of the theatre majors. Auditions for the freshman showcase are Thursday night, and the fall production on Friday. I don't know when rehearsals will be but I think she is going to be very busy. That's good for her, that's how she likes to operate, but I was hoping she could also earn some money somewhere in there.

Ope, just saw that the freshman showcase is the same weekend as Homecoming here. She was planning on coming home for that as her BF plays football, maybe go to the dance with him...I'll tell her later!

Bills came out today and are due on Sept 15 for Autumn quarter. I was so relieved that it was pretty much what I was expecting AND it listed us as approved for the insurance waiver. The school insurance is $5600.00 per year (yikes!!) and is mandatory unless they approve that your personal insurance meets their requirements of coverage and has providers within an hour of the school. Feeling some relief over here!!

We haven't heard a lot from DS, although he does answer about half of our texts (this is not abnormal for him), he has only initiated texting once or twice since we left him. After we got through the first day of him gone and the handful of texts of things to make sure he knew/remembered/etc, I have tried not to text more than once a day unless he starts it. I knew he was not having a good day yesterday when he sent a text after his academic dept preview meeting that said, "I am pretty sure I'm going to have to take another Spanish class". He despised Spanish. It was a fight to get him through it in high school because he hated it so much. I told him I was sorry and he would need to talk to his advisor, and he said he already had an appt for this morning. He just seemed a little down.

Today, DH called on his way home from work to see if he would answer. He did not answer but he did call back and said that he had just met with his advisor and he does not need another Spanish class. They talked for about 10 minutes, and he said (in words, not just "yeah, no, meh", that he really likes it at school and he is getting out and doing some of the activities and going to things, not just sitting in his room. This is big for him, he is an introvert and doesn't always like to be around people he doesn't know. I'm so happy for him! His classes start tomorrow.

Today, DH called on his way home from work to see if he would answer. He did not answer but he did call back and said that he had just met with his advisor and he does not need another Spanish class. They talked for about 10 minutes, and he said (in words, not just "yeah, no, meh", that he really likes it at school and he is getting out and doing some of the activities and going to things, not just sitting in his room. This is big for him, he is an introvert and doesn't always like to be around people he doesn't know. I'm so happy for him! His classes start tomorrow.

Your son sounds like mine. (We move him in tomorrow.) Hated spanish and nixed any major that required a foreign language component. He has promised me that he'll go to the welcome weekend events ("I don't think they're optional, mom."), but he is also an introvert... so I'm a little worried that he'll skip them once he realizes that nobody's going to be taking attendance. And he's also not a big texter, but I'm hoping he'll throw me a bone now and then because I will be dying to know how it's going, but also don't want to "hover."

Glad things are going well for your son. I hope to be able to give a similar report next week.

Tomorrow is move in day. Tonight is Chinese food and apparently he decided against Toy Story 3 (thank goodness!). His roommate is doing his orientation tomorrow so DS won’t see him until 6 p.m.-ish which I think is a little too bad because we won’t meet him but DS is happy to move in by himself and without the room being so crowded. He is much more of a loner than I am, I didn’t like not knowing anyone that first day once my parents left. But I need to remember he has some high school friends there too he can find if he wants that first afternoon, and he's in a living community so there will probably be a meeting tomorrow night - they are taking an "excursion" to DC Friday. Funny to me because DS has grown up doing the museums and stuff there. Classes start on Monday.

If you have moved your dd/ds in yet, I saw a tip somewhere and it worked really well for us: After you get the room key, go to the room first without their stuff and arrange the furniture the way they want it. It is much easier to rearrange an empty room then one with furniture and all of their belongings.
Good idea, we plan on arriving at 5 when it starts, so is at least one of her roommates, I’ll tell her to text them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter