Parents of the Class of 2019

DD is really focusing on local $250-1,000 scholarships now as they are starting to pop, finally. She’s pretty much a shoe-in for one of the better ones. No idea where she falls with the rest.

Good luck to her and everyone else doing scholarships!

DD has been grinding on these too. About 15 apps done and at least that many to go. Some haven't opened up yet. I feel pretty confident on 2 in particular- ones that give away multiple and that DD20 won with lesser stats. And I think she really has a chance on the biggest local one (they also give away multiple). It might be renewable based on something I found online but that could be outdated info too. Will be checking on that if she wins one.

Another one she did is statewide but very specific to her fairly uncommon major/career plan so I think not that many applicants. I saw after she filled it out that you are supposed to go to a college in-state but since there is just one in-state school that only sort of has that major option she added a statement of why she is going out of state and we sent it in anyway. They said her app looked good so we'll see if anything comes of it.

Very curious to see how much success she will have! I feel like our school/area has quite a few opportunities and not all that many college bound kids so hopefully the effort will be worthwhile.

Good luck to her and everyone else doing scholarships!

DD has been grinding on these too. About 15 apps done and at least that many to go. Some haven't opened up yet. I feel pretty confident on 2 in particular- ones that give away multiple and that DD20 won with lesser stats. And I think she really has a chance on the biggest local one (they also give away multiple). It might be renewable based on something I found online but that could be outdated info too. Will be checking on that if she wins one.

Another one she did is statewide but very specific to her fairly uncommon major/career plan so I think not that many applicants. I saw after she filled it out that you are supposed to go to a college in-state but since there is just one in-state school that only sort of has that major option she added a statement of why she is going out of state and we sent it in anyway. They said her app looked good so we'll see if anything comes of it.

Very curious to see how much success she will have! I feel like our school/area has quite a few opportunities and not all that many college bound kids so hopefully the effort will be worthwhile.

One of the ones DD is applying for is exclusive to kids who attended her elementary school. There’s typically only 8-10 applicants, they award 3, DD has the best grades, and DW works at the school. If she doesn’t get that one, she probably won’t get any of the others LOL.

Congrats! I wish I could get Miami to stop mailing and e-mailing us - I can only imagine how much they spend on their marketing and postage budget! :p

Haha.... Even though it's his choice. That's annoying him. (Did you get the Rubik's cube?) My son is planning to double major in Economics and Finance. His response to all of their stuff is "That money's coming from somewhere, you know!" Yes, dear. I know.

2 1/2 hours is DD's complete fallback-everything-else-falls-through school. We're in Denver and she's looking in NE, TN, GA, MA. A lot further than 2 1/2 hours!

LOL, I know the feeling! DD is still waiting on her top three--they are all at least 1,000 miles away. If she attends our state flagship uni (option #4) that's "only" 5 hours away...practically next door.

BTW, it looks like Miami is the winner here. Tentatively, at least.

Congrats! I really wanted DD to apply there-I think she would have fit in well, SIL works there and she and DB live an hour-ish away. Of course, she refused based on the fact that it's located in Ohio. I couldn't dispute that fact so...

Congrats! I really wanted DD to apply there-I think she would have fit in well, SIL works there and she and DB live an hour-ish away. Of course, she refused based on the fact that it's located in Ohio. I couldn't dispute that fact so...

We always say: "Ohio: Nice place to live, but I wouldn't want to visit here." ;-)

DS was a little nervous about the fact that it's so rural/college town. But we went a day before the admitted student event and walked around campus ourselves and drove around the town. He decided he could do it.

DS got a job in Alaska this summer at the Boy Scout High Adventure camp he attended last year. He's so excited! They were understanding about him wanting to attend his graduation so he'll fly out the day after graduation and fly home sometime around 8/15.

Tomorrow we are fly to Orlando for a few days to attend FL Tech accepted student day and attend a few classes. I think he's put FL Tech down a notch because he has to be there 8/13. In April we visit Clarkson which has become his number 1 due to 8/30 start date. Not the best selection criteria but I was thinking Clarkson was a better fit for him. He will do an overnight there then accepted student day. We may also visit SUNY Buffalo but that's about an extra 400 miles of driving. I feel conflicted about visiting-I fear the school is too big for him but we've never seen it and feel like he should have the opportunity to see it. I'm just not keen on all that extra travel-we would have to drive to Buffalo at night after the accepted student day at Clarkson (285 miles) Then do accepted student day at Buffalo then drive nearly 500 miles home the next day....

We live in Ohio. DS originally said he wanted to go out of state and was looking at a school in Virginia, but decided on one about 2 hours from home, still in Ohio. He didn't realize until later that the area where his school is gets a lot more snow and is always colder that it is here. He hates cold weather.

He got a cute little "care package" from his school today--sunglasses, a beanie, and an umbrella.

Haha.... Even though it's his choice. That's annoying him. (Did you get the Rubik's cube?) My son is planning to double major in Economics and Finance. His response to all of their stuff is "That money's coming from somewhere, you know!" Yes, dear. I know.

Yeah, we got the cube - my son's sort of a Rubik's Cube geek, so it took him like 5 minutes to do it.

Congrats! I wish I could get Miami to stop mailing and e-mailing us - I can only imagine how much they spend on their marketing and postage budget! :p

We decided way back when DD was a freshman that we'd keep all of the mailers that all of the schools sent us, just to see how big it got over 4 years, it's now about 2 feet high. We didn't include the acceptance packages, just junk mail.

DD actually got a letter from the Mayor of Lincoln, NE the other day. He was congratulating her on her acceptance to Nebraska Wesleyan and tolling all the virtues of Lincoln, she looked at me and said "Mom, it's Lincoln, really?". There are a LOT of schools out in the middle of nowhere, so we'll have to wait and see where she decides to go!

Yesterday DD got the Governor's scholar award (each school in the state chooses one student). At the end of next month she gets dinner and a picture with the Governor. It's not a scholarship, but at least she can list the honor on all future scholarship apps!

Right now she is on Spring Break in snowy South Dakota on a mission trip. I haven't heard directly, but I believe she's having a great time. I think they'll be able to get home without hitting any flooded roads. They had to push back their arrival by a day due to the blizzard.

Yep. I think he's making the right choice... but I really wish the right choice was 30 minutes away instead of 2.5 hours! Seeing him more often, and knowing I could get there quickly if he needed me, would make me worry a little less I think. Letting go is hard!

2.5 hours isn't too bad. At this point, DD's choices are narrowed down to 10.5 hours or (gulp) 36 hours. Fortunately we have semi-local relatives near the latter so we can store her stuff and fly her home rather than moving her in and out by car every year, because I'm not sure how many times my old van would be up for that drive!

dd done with ud in may, college. ds in hofstra as freshmen. one left in hs. dd happy done but english major, not teaching english, just english, no clue about her next step...to be continued....still figuring life out, not sure her path. but has basic degree...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter