Parents of Class of 2018 thread

Well, DD finished her AP exams yesterday, took her dual enrollment College Algebra final last week and she too is so DONE! She gets the senior exemption for the rest of her finals so really, it is 11 days of marking time. Next week is the last orchestra concert/Senior night and the BBQ then we are in the home stretch!

Well, DD finished her AP exams yesterday, took her dual enrollment College Algebra final last week and she too is so DONE! She gets the senior exemption for the rest of her finals so really, it is 11 days of marking time. Next week is the last orchestra concert/Senior night and the BBQ then we are in the home stretch!
I’m curious if you don’t mind me asking…what is a senior exemption?

We are quickly winding down here too. My twins are both dual enrolled at college this year, and both have their last finals tomorrow (son: differential equations, and daughter: math for the liberal arts....they clearly have different talents...LOL). Then, they are DONE, DONE, DONE! High school will be over. Graduation isn't until June 8, and my exchange daughter will be done with her classes on June 6 and "graduating" with my two on the same day (she goes back to Germany and will still have two more years of high school there before college....she is 17). We have a combination grad party/farewell party in June 3. Then June 11, my exchange daughter flies back to Germany, and my daughter goes with her for the summer (6 weeks). About to get very real here.

Last night was honors convocation at the high school :). The only bad part was that parents of summa kids had to go on stage with their kid. I was seriously gonna bail just because of that. I don't like being in situations like that, I have successfully dodged all the senior parent moments by having dh go (he is her favorite parent anyway). But I put on my big girl pants and went. My daughter received her NHS cord and pin, honors tassle, summa medal and sash. She will be nicely decorated on graduation day! Now all the girls are deciding what dresses to wear under the gowns for the ceremony (because yes, they need to wear something different than last night, ugh). We had bought her a white dress months ago because the gowns were always yellow for girls and black for boys but this year they changed them all to black and didn't bother to tell anyone until about a week ago. This girl has bought more dresses in one year than I have had in the last 30!
IMG-3589.jpg IMG-3591 (1).jpg

My daughter also has senior exemptions from exams (at least at her regular high school). If you keep a certain attendance standard and I think grade in the class, you can be excused from final exams senior year.

I’m curious if you don’t mind me asking…what is a senior exemption?
Oh, that just means that she didn't miss more than 5 days this semester and maintained good grades so she doesn't have to take finals. It is incentive to counteract "Senioritis"! lol

My daughter also has senior exemptions from exams (at least at her regular high school). If you keep a certain attendance standard and I think grade in the class, you can be excused from final exams senior year.
Oh my goodness...my daughter would be over the moon if we had such a thing here (Ontario, Canada). I think it’s so hard for them, once they have already received their acceptances, to keep up the pace through to the end of June when they have exams here.

Congratulations on your daughter’s accomplishments...you must be so proud!!

Oh, that just means that she didn't miss more than 5 days this semester and maintained good grades so she doesn't have to take finals. It is incentive to counteract "Senioritis"! lol
Thank you for your reply! Further to my message above, that would be an amazing option to be able to take advantage of. There is a serious case of “Senioritis” going around here at the moment...painful, really :).

I just signed my sons senior exam exemption forms. That means he will be done on Thursday next week. He won't have to attend Friday. That makes 6 school days left for him!

My daughter finished her last final (dual enrollment) Monday. She went to class Wednesday to listen to the last presentations for a class although she had already done her presentation. She is completely done with classes now. Just fun stuff left like Senior BBQ, Senior Awards Night, and some graduation things. Tomorrow she will go turn in her books at the high school. I got permission for her to wear her dual enrollment Phi Theta Kappa stole at graduation since it is the school color (gold). Graduation is June 3rd then family party is that night for both my daughter and my nephew who is graduating from college. It is a lot easier for my 89 year old mother to just have one gathering.

Next week she will find out if/what she has for a summer job with the city. It is about 23-25 hours a week. She will supplement it with babysitting here/there. Right now she babysits a 10 year old boy a few hours one night a week while his single mother goes to a running club. She recently ran the Boston Marathon in the pouring rain. I took her son with us to accepted business student day - poor kid probably now associates college with rain. However he is now talking about college to his mother. She also babysits some on Sat/Sun mornings for a friend with an 20 month old so she can either study for a class she is taking, go to soccer practice with her older son etc. Right now she is babysitting for another person who has a preschooler. This is the 3rd week in a row but I'm not sure if it is weekly to the end of the school year or not. Last night she babysat for two hours and made $30 watching a kid on a playground while the older boy was in little league and the mother attended a school meeting.

These will be DD’s last 4 days of HS! She did not want to attend the senior dinner but did go to some grad parties this weekend. Rehearsal is Friday and the ceremony is 9am Sat! Her party is Sunday night and there are several that both of my kids will attend.

DD ordered 4 dresses that should be here Tuesday. Hopefully she keeps at least two.

I told DS to look around for ideas because he graduates next year. This is my last week of teaching so it’s just been crazy. We spent the weekend doing the last big cleaning and some touch up painting. We’ll do the normal cleaning before the party. We’re ready for my mom to fly in and the guest room is done and ready.

A new college friend of DD’s that she met through chat is at Disney for the first time with her class. DD is dying for her to post more pics and gave her lots of info. She is completely jealous!

Congratulations to all who have graduated!!!

Been totally crazy here the last couple weeks!

DD took her two AP tests on Wednesday back to back, long day for her. Friday was senior prank day, they had fun with breaking dress code, water balloon fight, lunch on baseball field and played root beer pong lol

Saturday was her grad party, fun and emotional.
Today is senior skip day.
Tuesday is senior award day and final day of school.
Wednesday 2 finals
Thursday 1 final and she will be done!
Baccalaureate is May 31
Graduation June 1

Packing is going well, two weeks until movers get here.
Still working and seeing friends when we can.
Looking forward to spending a few quiet, lazy days in the hotel when we move waiting for our stuff. This mama is one tired lady!

You guys are finished early! My son's last day is June 8 and he graduates June 9th.
My youngest graduates 8th grade on June 8, so yes, we have a busy couple of weeks ahead of us.

Our lil miss is all done with her school days, yesterday was her last day of school.
Our seniors are done 10 days ahead of the other grades, in order to give the teachers time for official grades and the results from the AP testing to come back.

She only had 2 AP test this year and was exempt from her other classes, they either didn't have EOC or her grades exempt her.

We finally received our order of the official graduation announcements and wow, I pretty much feel stiffed on that. The are super generic, plain basic black font on a folded white paper. They don't even say Class of 2018....no color, $65 for 25 of them without the name cards. Of course we only needed about 10 for the official ceremony. I wish I could have gotten a hold of one, scanned it and just printed copies off at Office Depot.
When our boys graduate, I'm going to ask some other parents to pool together on a order, because we each only need less than 10 each.

Another decision that DD school alone has come out with is cords, stoles, honors etc. I am a little miffed about it. It is not school district policy only her school alone, has decided that each student will only receive and be allowed to wear ONE cord regardless of how many majors they earned. period. AND every single student will get a cord regardless, so they all look the same ! DD worked very hard for 2 majors and became ServeSafe certified, which if she attended any other HS in the district, she would get cords for.

They refuse the give the kids their cords and stoles until the required mandatory practice, which isn't until the day before. so if there is problem with your stole, it'll be too late and too bad.....also no recognition's for cum laude, summa or gamma, nor any Valedictorian, etc.

You guys are finished early! My son's last day is June 8 and he graduates June 9th.
My youngest graduates 8th grade on June 8, so yes, we have a busy couple of weeks ahead of us.

My DD graduates on the 9th also. Are you in NC too? I feel like other southern states get out a week or two earlier (friends' DD in FL graduated today), and up north is weeks after - a friend from NY told me yesterday that her kids' prom is not for another month and then graduation is a week after that!!

Our lil miss is all done with her school days, yesterday was her last day of school.
Our seniors are done 10 days ahead of the other grades, in order to give the teachers time for official grades and the results from the AP testing to come back.

Another decision that DD school alone has come out with is cords, stoles, honors etc. I am a little miffed about it. It is not school district policy only her school alone, has decided that each student will only receive and be allowed to wear ONE cord regardless of how many majors they earned. period. AND every single student will get a cord regardless, so they all look the same ! DD worked very hard for 2 majors and became ServeSafe certified, which if she attended any other HS in the district, she would get cords for.

They refuse the give the kids their cords and stoles until the required mandatory practice, which isn't until the day before. so if there is problem with your stole, it'll be too late and too bad.....also no recognition's for cum laude, summa or gamma, nor any Valedictorian, etc.

DD told me that they get their various cords (senior awards are today), but she thinks they must wear them at graduation UNDER their gowns so everyone looks uniform....

My son graduated last night! It was perfect weather here in West Michigan for the outdoor graduation. He did an excellent job with his speech introducing the key note speaker. We are so proud of him! I only cried a little. Lol. He has several trips planned this summer. Spain with the Spanish club from school, camping in Kentucky with Boy Scouts, and a Munising camping trip with his buddies in August. He will be working at the restaurant (when he's not traveling) through July. Taking August off. Then off to California in September!

I tried adding a picture, but it says file too big. I'll have to figure out how to fix it.

Prom tonight...sigh Then graduation on Sunday and thank goodness we will be inside because it is going to be in the 90s! So hot that two of the schools in the district that have outdoor graduations changed the time to morning to try and avoid the heat. Geesh, last week we were complaining about how cold it was!!

Got a nice surprise today when DD came home from graduation rehearsal, along with her AP Scholar cord she received this:
33672880_10160472368270603_3695574253014351872_n.jpg
sorry its so big...lol

When I dropped her off for rehearsal this morning I realized that was the last time and got a little teary. Holy crap does the time fly!

In the last two weeks, DS17 has taken his final exams (including AP tests) at both the high school and the college where he took three classes this semester, gone to prom, received two (small) scholarships for college, broke up with his girlfriend and GRADUATED FROM HIGH SCHOOL!!! I'm pleased to say I made it all the way through the graduation without crying and my newly purchased waterproof mascara was unnecessary. Kinda bummed about the break up, but I could see it coming a mile away. She's a nice girl and they are still friendly, but the dating thing was clearly over. Anyway, DH and I are super proud of our firstborn. He's on to Uni in only 84 days! (no Disney trip in the works so I made a countdown clock for college)

Prom tonight...sigh Then graduation on Sunday and thank goodness we will be inside because it is going to be in the 90s! So hot that two of the schools in the district that have outdoor graduations changed the time to morning to try and avoid the heat. Geesh, last week we were complaining about how cold it was!!

Got a nice surprise today when DD came home from graduation rehearsal, along with her AP Scholar cord she received this:
33672880_10160472368270603_3695574253014351872_n.jpg
sorry its so big...lol

When I dropped her off for rehearsal this morning I realized that was the last time and got a little teary. Holy crap does the time fly!
I don’t see anything?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter