Parents of Class of 2018 thread

Congrats to your son mickeypooh99!!!

My girl graduates June 1.

Today we are visiting her college and getting to meet dean of nursing, financial aid, admissions and buying her swag. We are missing admitted students day since we are flying back day before. So nice we are getting the one on one.

My son enrolled at Stanford! He did it Friday, and he didn't even tell me. He made an announcement last night at dinner. We had an early Easter family dinner because some of my family members are working on Easter. He was so casual about it. His grandpa asked him if he decided on a school, and he said yes I enrolled yesterday! (If I had looked on my credit card online I'd have seen that he charged my credit card. Lol).

I'm definitely happy/sad. I knew this was coming as soon as he got accepted to Stanford because it's his dream school, and the price is so low for us. They are very generous with financial aid. I would have loved University of Michigan for how close it is, but it wasn't his first choice. Plus it cost a lot more for us. All in all he was accepted to Stanford, UCLA, Berkeley, university of Michigan, and Michigan tech. Rejected from Harvard.

So now I get to plan! We will be flying him out there this fall. They don't move in until September 20. So it will give us a long summer at least. The dorms are apparently really small so he will be traveling light. They do recommend a bike for getting around so I'm debating buying one out there or taking his as checked luggage. Apparently that's allowed on southwest which is what we usually fly. I have all these details in my head now. Little things I need to figure out. I wouldn't really let myself plan until I knew for sure. I'm not sure how well I'm going to handle my baby being so far away.
Congratulations! :jumping1:

Congrats to all those making final decisions!!!!! So exciting!

When does your child graduate? Ours is held Memorial Day weekend Saturday. Next month! There are a lot of final performances and events between now and then.
June 6th is graduation, May 22 is last day, May 23rd is Senior Breakfast and Walk, and May 24th is prom. They get lots of time to recuperate from prom, although it is a bit of a pain to have it on a weekday. If only I knew who he is thinking of asking- right now I am on a "need to know" basis.:rolleyes1

We finally got the results of the financial aide appeal and they gave dd more money!!!!!! It is close enough to the other school that dd has a choice to make but barring anything from the 3 upcoming admitted student days we know her choice. We are still waiting to hear from financial aide (not appeal) from two schools but at this points only 1 is a contender if it come in close to the other two schools. Chances are we know where dd will be attending but it isn't 100% definite yet.

My son graduates May 19th. The 11th is his last day. He is still not 100% sure where he intends to go to college, only that he is planning to go. He's already finished more than a semester doing dual enrollment, so I'm trying to convince him to take the TN Promise scholarship to get the full two years of community college free. Then he can transfer to either Indiana University or Northeastern. We'll see what happens...

Congrats to all those making final decisions!!!!! So exciting!

When does your child graduate? Ours is held Memorial Day weekend Saturday. Next month! There are a lot of final performances and events between now and then.
Finally getting around to joining this thread. Things are quite different where we live. There is no grad ceremony for DD this spring - her school holds a commencement ceremony in the fall. Prom is June 1 but she doesn’t finish school until June 26th, the day she writes her last exam.

Graduation is on June 9th
He leaves for college June 24th

This weekend is his final school theater performance. He will still have Improv team one more time, but this is getting real now.

I just ordered him the recommended laptop for his major and it is coming tomorrow. It is an early graduation present as he will need some time to acclimate. He currently has a PC desktop and is going to a MacBook laptop.

Graduation is on June 9th
He leaves for college June 24th

This weekend is his final school theater performance. He will still have Improv team one more time, but this is getting real now.

I just ordered him the recommended laptop for his major and it is coming tomorrow. It is an early graduation present as he will need some time to acclimate. He currently has a PC desktop and is going to a MacBook laptop.

DD's graduation is June 9th also. Prom is this Saturday.

Your post reminded me to add another thing to the to-do list DD & I were discussing earlier... check out computer requirements for her engineering major

DD's graduation is June 9th also. Prom is this Saturday.

Your post reminded me to add another thing to the to-do list DD & I were discussing earlier... check out computer requirements for her engineering major

His Prom was 2 weekends ago. I was surprised it was so early.

I got the laptop early as he starts college June 24th and needs to acclimate before then (going from a PC to a Mac.)

Last edited:
Less than a month until graduation! My son will not go to his prom or his senior party. He just isn't into these types of things. I wish he would at least go to prom, but I wont push him. He is going to Spain with the Spanish club. That is his graduation present from us. He doesn't want a graduation party, but I insisted. He says he doesn't want anyone making a fuss about him, but there are too many people who want to come. All his grandparents and other friends and relatives have already been asking me about it. We won't make it a big deal. Just a couple hour open house with some food and cake.

Our school no longer has valedictorian. They are recognizing the top 10, but they said this is the last year they will be doing that. I'm not really sure why. My son thinks its because it has become too competitive with kids taking easier AP classes to boost their GPA. Then they drop the class after the first semester. They are just manipulating the system. My son always said he didn't care about top 10. He took dual enrollment classes instead of AP classes because he could take classes that weren't offered at our high school. He could only get a 4.0 in those classes while other kids got 5.0 in the AP classes. Well we know he is in the top 4 because they had a meeting and gave the top 4 students speaking parts at graduation. They announced the top 10, but not what order they are in. So no one really knows. I wonder if other schools are getting rid of top 10? I'm not sure how I feel about it. These kids worked hard for earning that honor.

Dual enrollment classes are done at college, so my son is only going to school for 3 hours a day now. These last few days are going fast!

Less than a month until graduation!

Our school no longer has valedictorian. They are recognizing the top 10, but they said this is the last year they will be doing that. I'm not really sure why. My son thinks its because it has become too competitive with kids taking easier AP classes to boost their GPA. Then they drop the class after the first semester. They are just manipulating the system. My son always said he didn't care about top 10. He took dual enrollment classes instead of AP classes because he could take classes that weren't offered at our high school. He could only get a 4.0 in those classes while other kids got 5.0 in the AP classes. Well we know he is in the top 4 because they had a meeting and gave the top 4 students speaking parts at graduation. They announced the top 10, but not what order they are in. So no one really knows. I wonder if other schools are getting rid of top 10? I'm not sure how I feel about it. These kids worked hard for earning that honor.

Dual enrollment classes are done at college, so my son is only going to school for 3 hours a day now. These last few days are going fast!

We are at the month mark too. I think the school crams too much into those last few days, here is the schedule:
Tuesday, May 22 - Principal's Awards (evening)
Thursday, May 24 - Senior day, breakfast, slide show, day out
Friday, May 25 - Graduation rehearsal at 7:30 (!!)
Prom
Sunday, May 27 - Graduation

We will be exhausted!

DD's school did away with class rank a few years ago which became kind of a pain on some apps. I don't know how they chose the speaker for graduation but there are no named top students. We do have the principal's awards and DD will get at least the 7 semester honor roll but I don't know what else is awards. It is all going too fast!

My daughter finally committed. We made her pick University of Michigan. Hope it was the right call. She wasn't pulling the trigger fast enough (these kids really think they have till May 1st!) and I wanted to put a deposit somewhere and get her in the line for housing preference. We have been buying her Michigan "merch" and I think she's excited about it now :yay:. She wants to apply to WISE (women in science and engineering residential program) but she sure doesn't feel like writing her application essays for it. She is so overwhelmed with school still. Prom is May 30th and Graduation is June 2nd. I don't think I can get her to apply to any scholarships. She is just DONE.

I don't know if our school does class valedictorian anymore? I know my daughter knows her ranking, but I don't know if it is advertised. It's on her transcript, I think.

Less than a month until graduation! My son will not go to his prom or his senior party. He just isn't into these types of things. I wish he would at least go to prom, but I wont push him. He is going to Spain with the Spanish club. That is his graduation present from us. He doesn't want a graduation party, but I insisted. He says he doesn't want anyone making a fuss about him, but there are too many people who want to come. All his grandparents and other friends and relatives have already been asking me about it. We won't make it a big deal. Just a couple hour open house with some food and cake.

My son is an introvert. He went to prom, but only because a large group of people (guys and girls) were going in a group, not pairing off, and they were from his theater group. He had a great time. And then they went to a girl's house for an after party. He said the after party was more fun than the Prom......UGH. Would have saved the $75 cost and the $200 suit. HA!

He got a computer for college for his graduation gift (given before graduation, but still counts!)

And he has no desire for a Grad party, so we will just go out for a nice meal as a family.

He is going to the college summer program for Freshman, so he starts June 24th!

I don't think I can get her to apply to any scholarships. She is just DONE.

This!

My daughter came into my room last night, absolutely exasperated, telling me that she is DONE with school and that she doesn't think that she has it in her to get through the next 6 weeks including final exams. I am trying to be positive and encourage her to look forward to summer break (and a trip to Disney!) but she is not buying what I'm selling :). Needless to say, she is also less than thrilled at the prospect of attending school beyond this for at least another 4 years...lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter