Pandora rides

Thanks, GranJan, glad you didn't listen to CM who said the steps might not work for you. We never know if something will work unless we try it.

I don't need the steps so maybe I'll just have my DH give me a good pull helping me get out if need be. Getting in will be fine.
It looks like in Sue's photos in post 102 there are handrails so that would probably be all you need.

Thanks GranJan, I see in the photo that each row has only one rail, probably so they can fit a wheelchair as close to the boat as
possible. I think that will work, if the boats aren't real low. Kinda looks like they aren't as low as the ones on Pirates.

Thanks GranJan, I see in the photo that each row has only one rail, probably so they can fit a wheelchair as close to the boat as
possible. I think that will work, if the boats aren't real low. Kinda looks like they aren't as low as the ones on Pirates.
The picture in my post about our experience was the handicapped/wheelchair boarding area, which is actually the unload area for everyone.
You are correct that the rails are arranged to make it easier to get close with a wheelchair.

The pictures in this post are the regular boarding area, which might give you a better idea of the rails. The load and unload areas are right next to each other.
If you have a mobility device, you will park it at the unload area. But, you can choose to load at the ‘regular’ area if it would work out better for you. Just let the CM know.

PS - I copied these from another post and they don’t show unless you click on each one.
View attachment 241768 View attachment 241769 View attachment 241770 View attachment 241771

Last edited:
I am doing the Preview for pandora and was wondering if any one else was going?
and if any one know if the rides were wheel chair accessible or not. I might be going with a friend that uses an ECV but she can transfer if need be,

My grandma will be 8 months post op from a knee replacement. How comfortable knee room is this ride?

My grandma will be 8 months post op from a knee replacement. How comfortable knee room is this ride?
can she bind her knee 90 degrees? this wil tell you if she can go also there is a test set out front of the ride

can she bind her knee 90 degrees? this wil tell you if she can go also there is a test set out front of the ride
Oh wow! I had no idea about the test. I haven't Been to Disney in 4-5 years. I will read up on it. She is currently stilling doing PT so I will have to check in with her. Hopefully by December she will have all the motion she is suppose to have.

Oh wow! I had no idea about the test. I haven't Been to Disney in 4-5 years. I will read up on it. She is currently stilling doing PT so I will have to check in with her. Hopefully by December she will have all the motion she is suppose to have.

Disney has a lot fewer test seats than Universal, but both of the rides in Pandora have them, luckily!

She has lots of time to get ready - I'm sure everyone will join me in wishing her a full recovery! :)

Disney has a lot fewer test seats than Universal, but both of the rides in Pandora have them, luckily!

She has lots of time to get ready - I'm sure everyone will join me in wishing her a full recovery! :)
Thanks . She is 81 and has wanted to go back to Disney for years. Seeing her great grandkids in Disney is her goal she said. She scheduled her surgery around having enough time to recover. I cant wait to experience the magic with both my kids and my Grandma! She is a trooper and said she doesn’t mind not going on the rides she just wants to see the kids experience it for the first time! It’s been 20 plus years since she went.

Last year my (then 14yo) daughter with HFA and other chronic health issues had problems riding FoP. Her issues were with the Back and leg restraints and sensory/anxiety issues. She stated the restraints were too tight and I think due to her anxiety she struggled to get free of them which caused bruising on her back. We spent a good amount of time in first aid allowing her to lie down in a dark room and recover from the experience.

She says she wants to try to ride it this year. This has me pretty concerned. I was wondering if there’s any way to get her into the restraints carefully BEFORE I get situated. I know this is probably a long shot but I’d like for her to be able to do this without the threat of a repeat of last year. If anyone has any ideas on how we could approach this I’d greatly appreciate any input. Thank you!

Last year my (then 14yo) daughter with HFA and other chronic health issues had problems riding FoP. Her issues were with the Back and leg restraints and sensory/anxiety issues. She stated the restraints were too tight and I think due to her anxiety she struggled to get free of them which caused bruising on her back. We spent a good amount of time in first aid allowing her to lie down in a dark room and recover from the experience.

She says she wants to try to ride it this year. This has me pretty concerned. I was wondering if there’s any way to get her into the restraints carefully BEFORE I get situated. I know this is probably a long shot but I’d like for her to be able to do this without the threat of a repeat of last year. If anyone has any ideas on how we could approach this I’d greatly appreciate any input. Thank you!

There is a test seat outside of FOP - did she try it last year before riding?

I would recommend making sure that she can (quickly and easily) get comfortable using the test seat. As I know you already know all too well, a year can make a difference in sensory and anxiety issues; maybe having the year to think about it has allowed her to prepare mentally for this next trip! I hope she gets to ride if the test seat proves comfortable - and I hope it's everything she wants it to be! :)

I'm another wondering if I can ride Flight of Passage. As I understand you must sit leaning slightly forward with a restraint that presses against the lower back. I have a bad lower back. Most rides I'm fine on but that restraint could be a problem. Does this restraint style pose problems for others with lower back pain?

The ride doesn’t start until everyone is safely in place and restrained.
When we took our daughter on, we needed to lift her on and get her situated before my husband and I could get settled in our seats. We had plenty of time to do that.
In our case, it was obvious that we needed to help her, but I’m sure other people help a member of their party to get situated also - especially smaller children or people who are concerned about being flexible enough or unsteady getting into the somewhat unusual ride vehicles. Tell the CM as you get to the ‘ride’ room.

You might be able to help her get desensitized by trying out the ride seat outside of the attraction multiple times.

If worse comes to worse, guests can exit the ride room at any time until everyone is secured. The last time I rode, 2 people sat down and then got up and walked thru to the exit because they got scared. One of them had actually been secured and asked the CM to loosen her restraints so she could get out. Obviously, there is a point where that is no longer an option, but it does help some people to know .
It might also help her to know that the ride itself is about 4 minutes 30 seconds.
I'm another wondering if I can ride Flight of Passage. As I understand you must sit leaning slightly forward with a restraint that presses against the lower back. I have a bad lower back. Most rides I'm fine on but that restraint could be a problem. Does this restraint style pose problems for others with lower back pain?
I’d suggest trying the test seat outside the attraction. That way, you can see just how far you would need to lean forward and where the back restraint would come on you - it will vary depending on the rider. There is also a CM out there who can answer questions and give hints. The CM can put the restraints up, but not lock them.

One hint I’ve seen and used (because I don’t like being held tightly) is to sit forward, but not all the way tight to the front part - give yourself about an 3/4 to 1 inch of space. That way, when the restraints come up, they will be tight, but not too tight.

I have the same problems with the back being too tight. One thing I do is I sit up straight and leave some room between me and the part In front it will push you a little bit once it is locked it will not move

I have an inflatable back cushion that comes with a belt. I blew it up slightly, just enough to fit between my back and the restraint when it came up. I wore it under my shirt. I also leaned forward a bit. I don't know if it was psychological, knowing that I had comfy support, or if it really helped, but I was fine. I also took Bonine, wore seabands, and some other patches to prevent motion sickness. I leaned into the ride and whooped and hollered. I also did not eat a heavy meal before it. I might have taken some Advil too, I don't remember! I just know that I loved it and my back was fine! OTOH, when I rode Pirates the next night, I was totally surprised by my back's reaction to the small drop in the beginning. When the boat hit the water I had what I call my scary back pain. Another ride to put on my Do Not Ride list. :(
Anyhow, there is no way to predict how each person who deals with chronic pain will react to this ride. I posted frequently early on in this thread as I was trying to make up my mind whether to try it or not. I'm glad I did try it, but I may not ride it again on future trips because it involved so much preparation! ( plus my back can be unpredictable) Good luck!

I have an inflatable back cushion that comes with a belt. I blew it up slightly, just enough to fit between my back and the restraint when it came up. I wore it under my shirt. I also leaned forward a bit. I don't know if it was psychological, knowing that I had comfy support, or if it really helped, but I was fine. I also took Bonine, wore seabands, and some other patches to prevent motion sickness. I leaned into the ride and whooped and hollered. I also did not eat a heavy meal before it. I might have taken some Advil too, I don't remember! I just know that I loved it and my back was fine! OTOH, when I rode Pirates the next night, I was totally surprised by my back's reaction to the small drop in the beginning. When the boat hit the water I had what I call my scary back pain. Another ride to put on my Do Not Ride list. :(
Anyhow, there is no way to predict how each person who deals with chronic pain will react to this ride. I posted frequently early on in this thread as I was trying to make up my mind whether to try it or not. I'm glad I did try it, but I may not ride it again on future trips because it involved so much preparation! ( plus my back can be unpredictable) Good luck!
H

[QUOTE="katmittens, post: 59580986, member: 1433

but has anyone rode this ride who has had back fusion surgery. I had surgery 8 months ago and when we were there in May I did not go on it, but will be back in Nov. so it will be one year, just curious if anyone has done it. I did try the one outside but I was unaware that the one outside did not lock you into place.

[QUOTE="katmittens, post: 59580986, member: 1433

but has anyone rode this ride who has had back fusion surgery. I had surgery 8 months ago and when we were there in May I did not go on it, but will be back in Nov. so it will be one year, just curious if anyone has done it. I did try the one outside but I was unaware that the one outside did not lock you into place.

I'm also interested as my hubby had back fusion surgery a couple years ago. when are you going? we are going mid sept. if he chooses to ride it I'll try to post.

I have secured FP's for the ride for our stay in late October for the 4 of us, but only 2 of us will ride. My son has Down syndrome and has had scoliosis surgery, so we are not chancing it. He has a lot of fears about being restrained, so it just isn't worth the anxiety of trying to get him on it. Lastly, he has vision problems and cannot wear any 3d glasses so again, not worth it.. I figure as long as we have the FP's, at least we can walk through the ride and see all of the decorations and then just wait a few minutes for the others to get off the ride.

I have secured FP's for the ride for our stay in late October for the 4 of us, but only 2 of us will ride. My son has Down syndrome and has had scoliosis surgery, so we are not chancing it. He has a lot of fears about being restrained, so it just isn't worth the anxiety of trying to get him on it. Lastly, he has vision problems and cannot wear any 3d glasses so again, not worth it.. I figure as long as we have the FP's, at least we can walk through the ride and see all of the decorations and then just wait a few minutes for the others to get off the ride.
You miss every thing when you go though the FP line

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!